UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I think the only apropo answer to Japanese anime right blame questions such as these is "Yourself or God".

Cause no man alive can deal with the Japanese Rights Management system without melting into a goop of insanity.

windcott said:
Never ever seen or have any experience of the gundam series, so would I be able to watch MSG and not get lost (like with how mvm's release of patlabour was essentially pointless as it was a sequel to a series that wasn't released in the UK, so couldn't be understood on it's own)

Mvm did release the very first Patlabor so it wasn't entirely pointless. Their second release was a bit odd - not just a sequel to Patlabor on TV but basically the old laserdisc bonus episodes... But you can get started with Patlabor by buying the first blu Ray and I recommend it!

Sedaka or no Sedaka, if they release Zeta on blu I will love them forever.

Japanese blu of First looks amazing too!

Re. Patlabor, it's only really the first four eps of the New Files that you need to have seen the TV series to understand, the rest of the OVAs are pretty standalone, episodic content.

The original MSG is the original start-point, both in chronology and broadcast order, so a logical starting point. I'd say Vertical's manga version of The Origin is a good primer though, as many would argue that it's a more intelligible, better-written take on the same material.

All I want from the Gundam franchise are the OVA series 08th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket. 08th MS Team has has a Blu-ray release in Japan and chronologically takes place after the oiriginal series. I don't fancy the chances of getting either of these shows any time soon but I thought I'd speak up for them anyway.

Also, I fail to see how the removal of Neil Sedaka songs could be anything other than a Very Good Thing.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I fail to see how the removal of Neil Sedaka songs could be anything other than a Very Good Thing.
Yeah, but we're talking about both original OPs for Zeta Gundam here Fabio, they are kinda iconic. And it's just the music, Sedaka himself doesn't sing (I'd probably be in agreement with you if he did).

Fair enough. It was disappointing when Bandai Visual removed that iconic piece of music from their release of Gunbuster because it was too similar to the Chariots of Fire song, or summat.

Still, Neil Sedaka. I mean... WHY.

Somewhere, an old crooner in his 70s is blissfully unaware that us fanbois are passionately discussing the omission of a Japanese language re-working of his songs.

And probably thinking about squeezing out another album.

Hi Andrew, out of all the shows you've licensed or streamed I think Terror in Resonance is the oldest one we Haven't heard anything about a home video release. Is this still on the cards?

I'd like to know about that too, and there's nothing recent from Funimation about it either, unless I've missed it. It's one I'm really looking forward to owning.

Was just checking Amazon and saw the Ping Pong release is listed as a Collectors Edition. So much more excited than I already was! :eek:

Fingers crossed Space Dandy S2 will be released this month.

I think Ping Pong is a show that would benefit with a small artbook or something, wouldn't you agree? A visually striking series, but obviously it depends on the assets available. In case anyone is wondering what the Japanese Collector's Edition looks like:

bHIytV3.jpg

0vxO0zo.jpg

0XxjLNM.jpg

hnqfsFo.jpg

OkdphbN.jpg

6mywAbK.jpg

lIFSm3E.jpg

Also, may I point out how I love that a few Japanese Blu-ray sets come in custom jewel cases? Something cool about it :p

I won't actually be buying Ping Pong from Anime Limited for the reason that it's getting the barebones treatment in the UK while the Japanese release looks amazing. It's a shame really, as i absolutely fell in love with the show.

If the Japanese Blu-ray box gets priced down a bit on Amazon Japan i'll pick that up instead.

DesuDayo said:
I won't actually be buying Ping Pong from Anime Limited for the reason that it's getting the barebones treatment in the UK while the Japanese release looks amazing. It's a shame really, as i absolutely fell in love with the show.

If the Japanese Blu-ray box gets priced down a bit on Amazon Japan i'll pick that up instead.

What price range would make you buy the Japanese one....

Eww jewel cases, moving away from them is one of the best things the pc industry did. They're too rigid & crack so easily.

A standard release is something I prefer, especially on a title like this that I'm really not sure about. Makes me much more likely to take a risk & blind buy it if it comes out on a slow month at a good price.

I agree - I think special editions should largely be reserved for titles that are 'deserving' of the treatment, eg. highly rated/regarded shows that hold a place in anime' history. Otherwise the whole concept starts to lose its meaning if almost everything gets a souled up edition.

Lutga said:
I agree - I think special editions should largely be reserved for titles that are 'deserving' of the treatment, eg. highly rated/regarded shows that hold a place in anime' history. Otherwise the whole concept starts to lose its meaning if almost everything gets a souled up edition.

It's what they've done to the games industry now & it's a joke. I think most people will only buy LE's of shows they've seen & loved so they do a lot to alienate new viewers.

Making series available pre-release on netflix has been a pretty good AL move for me though. I've bought a couple I wouldn't have got otherwise as a result of watching them on there.

I think considering how many titles AL are licensing now, I can't continue buying all of them.
Not because I can't afford it, but I budget so I can spend on other things I enjoy (and to save, go out, etc.) and I wish to buy some other titles from MVM/Animatsu.

I'm starting to think it's silly to buy a title for the sake of it, so I have cancelled Ping Pong. I didn't enjoy the show, but was buying just to show my support. It would have been nice to buy all of AL titles, but think that will become too expensive, and unnecessary as I'm going to be spending money on a title I will have no interest in watching. I think Samurai Flamenco might go the same way.

I'm ecstatic AL are doing well enough to be licensing and releasing so much, but I need to make sure I'm only buying titles I actually want. Funnily enough, these two were their first licenses they had I wasn't interested in anyway. I think Aokaru x Machinegun may be on the "no buy" list too. :)

(I cannot confirm I won't pick up the titles if they drop in price in the future!)

I mean Ping Pong is one of the best series of the last decade, so its 100% deserving of a limited/collectors Edition over say Durarara or Blood Lad :p That's obviously my opinion but its a damn shame that people overlook this series, physically pains me. Such is life.

Back