UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'd definitely be really up for a BD edition of SEED too - I know a lot of people are on the fence about it, but it was pretty much my first televised introduction to Gundam and I think it's definitely one of the more accessible versions. It's bright and colourful too, so imagine it'd look lovely with an HD transfer.

As per above, I'd take Gundam in pretty much any form.

It's probably an education thing for potential new fans. I'd imagine a lot are put off by the sheer enormity/scale of the franchise. A layman would likely have no idea where to begin and what fit in where etc. Even though multiple arcs can be watched completely standalone your average viewer won't know that without some research. In this regard Gundam is probably one of the most daunting shows there is.

Damned by its own popularity/success. Such a shame. :(

I don't think it's THAT hard to sell people on Gundam, though. I mean, I posted a few images of RightStuf!'s Turn A packaging on my Facebook wall a while back, and know for a fact that a couple of people I chat with over there have ordered it blind. Pretty sure if Anime Limited were to (strictly hypothetically, you understand, winky-wink) put Turn A out in the UK, I could bang the drum again and something similar might happen.

From what I hear, its basically the FFIX of Gundam, thus having alot of nods and references to the older shows, but can still stand on its own merits. I plan to watch it eventually, though I'd like to see these first:MSG '79, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Formula 91, G Gundam, After War Gundam X and 08th MS Team.

I was daunted by the goliath Gundam franchise and put off trying any of it for a few years. After a little reassurance on these very forums I chose to start out with Seed and never looked back, so I would recommend Seed to anyone looking to get started (and to Andrew for a BD release :wink: ). Gundam is really not as convoluted as it initially appears.

Well, they have different timelines that appeal to what you are looking for. Want epic WWII level drama, go for the original shows or most UC stuff, you want something thats basically like Go Nagai, theres G Gundam.

BanzaiJedi said:
I was daunted by the goliath Gundam franchise and put off trying any of it for a few years. After a little reassurance on these very forums I chose to start out with Seed and never looked back, so I would recommend Seed to anyone looking to get started (and to Andrew for a BD release :wink: ). Gundam is really not as convoluted as it initially appears.

What would be the best option to go about buying Seed? Assuming Anime Limited haven't licenced it of course.

There is an OOP DVD from Beez, which can be purchased in France for very cheap and has English subs and dubs on it, though I’d go into it with caution, especially SEED Destiny, which is considered one of the worse Gundam shows, and has a crazy amount of recaps.

LtDiscotek said:
There is an OOP DVD from Beez, which can be purchased in France for very cheap and has English subs and dubs on it, though I’d go into it with caution, especially SEED Destiny, which is considered one of the worse Gundam shows, and has a crazy amount of recaps.

Wow, you're right. Looks like I could get the whole set shipped from Amazon France for under £15. Just to confirm, this is all of Seed, right? (Not including Destiny)

http://www.amazon.fr/Gundam-Seed-Int%C3 ... undam+seed

LtDiscotek said:
Yeah, Seed Destiny isn't great and has pacing issues due to the recaps. Hopefully whoever decided that the penultimate episode should be a recap got fired.

sniper_samurai said:
LtDiscotek said:
Yeah, Seed Destiny isn't great and has pacing issues due to the recaps. Hopefully whoever decided that the penultimate episode should be a recap got fired.

That's why Gundam Seed Destiny Final Plus OVA was released; it's basically the final three episodes merged together into a 50 minute OVA.. It never got a UK release but it is available in Australia and America.

As someone mentioned the BEEZ OOP Complete DVD sets are probably the best way to go (00 is also available cheap) as while the packaging is in French the disc content is exactly the same as the UK release.

In terms of a English BD release of Gundam Seed (or even Seed Destiny) the possibility can be considered low; there are marginal differences (and new scenes added) in the HD version which makes it near impossible for the current English dub to be synced up to it. However I would love to see a BD release of Gundam 00 (S1 and S2) as the DVDs (in my eyes) were pretty terrible picture quality wise).

Not to mention the blu rays are pretty much an upscale, so the difference won’t be that high for blu ray.

I’m hoping that the 0079 TV series can get a blu ray release with the lost episode included, since we only got the compilation movies from BEEZ.

Yeah, SEED is pretty awesome in my eyes - though I know some people dismiss it as 'Gundam for Girls', because of the majority of the cast being pretty girls/guys. I also think it's worth seeing as a pre-cursor to Code Geass (which Sunrise obviously went on to do a couple of years later), mainly in terms of the colour palate and energy of it all. Also, it's one of the few non ecchi shows I've seen that has an honest to goodness sex scene between two of the main characters in it, so yeah, there's that as well...

Destiny is petty tepid - it has serious pacing issues, which is a shame as there's a few real high points around the middle and toward the end, and some of the new characters it introduces are pretty good.

Incidentally... remember there's a dedicated Gundam thread in the general anime chat sub-forum. That could be a wicked awesome place to get interested parties and newbies up to speed.

If FUNi's Tokyo Ghoul is region A/B, and AL is sharing production materials, does that mean our version will be region A/B too?

Maybe nobody's allowed to say this up front. But if you accidentally make it A/B, that would be cool. Just saying :)

R

Back