UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I really, REALLY don't want to be a jerk but we were told a while back that going forward titles wouldn't be announced until they were essentially locked in.

It's honestly killing my excitement for titles as once we get an announcement it's kind of an impossible guessing game as to when they'll actually be released. As I've said before, I know this is a niche market in a small country but it keeps happening even after steps were taken.

Put simply, it comes down to the fact that producing Collector's Edition products is hard.

Yes, we only announce products - and certainly products with release dates or windows - when we're confident that we have a product "locked in" and a timeframe we can hit, but there are still a lot of moving parts that can effect those releases. Maybe its a delay or issue with the delivery of materials, maybe it's a hold-up with approvals, maybe its a delay to print times - all of these are elements that we factor in to scheduling as much as we can and try to mitigate for, but they're also factors that are ultimately out of our control and can, at times, be unpredictable.

In the case of Gundam specifically, we decided it was important to announce some of our forthcoming highlights at MCM London Comic Con in May because we felt there was a growing vocal unrest at the lack of any details of future plans, and even unfounded speculation that we wouldn't be releasing any further Gundam titles after The Origin. Thus, we wanted to show our hand with two titles that were progressing to schedule at that stage.

At this point in time, to be completely honest it looks unlikely that Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky will make it in time for Comic Con, but it is progressing and we're certainly still looking at a 2018 release for it as things stand, for what it's worth.

There are also other Gundam plans in our immediate pipeline that we haven't talked about thus far, but it sounds like we'd better keep it that way for now!! ;)

There are also other Gundam plans in our immediate pipeline that we haven't talked about thus far, but it sounds like we'd better keep it that way for now!! ;)

And lo Grant did anger the gods with his petulance and was deemed unworthy of knowing the cool things that were to come.

I appreciate the response. I genuinely don't like to cause a stink but I admit this is a title I'm genuinely hyped for and was hopeful we'd see it before the year was done. I know you've got many plates spinning as a company and try to do cool, unique things but it does bring to mind the unfortunate fate of ADV.

I know you've got many plates spinning as a company and try to do cool, unique things but it does bring to mind the unfortunate fate of ADV.

That's a very different situation in all kinds of ways.

I feel like I should also point out that we've hit our release dates for the vast, vast majority of titles this year, and those we've missed have typically only been by a week or so to make allowances for getting stock to retailers in good time. I suspect any regular customers of our shop this year can vouch for our record on getting products out of the door on that count! :)

Ultimately we hate having to shift release dates backwards as much as you folk do, but sometimes it's simply unavoidable and beyond our control.

Maybe if we will all lived in a land where surprises such as people falling ill or urgent meetings where someone’s that “anime” budget needs to get spent or more important things happens to me all the time as there are a lot of things more important than me missing an EB.

Maybe if we will all lived in a land where surprises such as people falling ill or urgent meetings where someone’s that “anime” budget needs to get spent or more important things happens to me all the time as there are a lot of things more important than me missing an EB.

Then maybe if you can't afford it due to needing emergency money, don't spend that money on anime at all? If the title had come out on time and you'd already spent the money on anime when you need it for something urgent, your budget is probably in need of some adjusting anyway...

Then maybe if you can't afford it due to needing emergency money, don't spend that money on anime at all? If the title had come out on time and you'd already spent the money on anime when you need it for something urgent, your budget is probably in need of some adjusting anyway...
I’m just wow. This is just sick and people living in fantasy land things change I’ve had to cancel AL preorders in the past due to needing the money more urgently. Yeah I’ll just pirate all anime as that will save me money.

I’m just wow. This is just sick and people living in fantasy land things change I’ve had to cancel AL preorders in the past due to needing the money more urgently. Yeah I’ll just pirate all anime as that will save me money.

I'm genuinely not sure what point you're trying to make. I'm sick because I suggest that if you can't afford anime or are putting it above more urgent things that you shouldn't buy it? That just seems logical to me. I'm also not saying you should pirate it either, both streaming and items going on sale are valid ways to watch anime on a budget. I'm honestly not sure what you're getting so upset about.

That's a very different situation in all kinds of ways.

I feel like I should also point out that we've hit our release dates for the vast, vast majority of titles this year, and those we've missed have typically only been by a week or so to make allowances for getting stock to retailers in good time. I suspect any regular customers of our shop this year can vouch for our record on getting products out of the door on that count! :)

Ultimately we hate having to shift release dates backwards as much as you folk do, but sometimes it's simply unavoidable and beyond our control.
It's just depressing to see no improvement on Gundam again. 2018 is on track to have the least Gundam in the UK since 2015.

Back