UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

we'll find out about Funis August releases in a fortnight, I suspect it will probably be on there, if this is the case, we're looking at December for the UK, so 6 months after again, I'll just buy the Yank release then, been sat about on half a season for half a year too often for my liking.

If it was on their August slate (£20 says it isn't by the by) then we'd also be releasing in August. As you'll see from our release of Re:Zero Part 1 - the time difference is 6 days max, not 6 months there :).

AP

Last edited:
the problem isn't that of part 1's, we've had this discussion before, your part 2 gaps leave alot to be desired (ie usually 6 months min wait) the Hyouka gap is going to be 6 months, as with Ass class et, so unless there is a new strategy going on here.
Actually while I have you on this, what takes longer, a book or a box to contain both halves of a series?

the problem isn't that of part 1's, we've had this discussion before, your part 2 gaps leave alot to be desired (ie usually 6 months min wait) the Hyouka gap is going to be 6 months, as with Ass class et, so unless there is a new strategy going on here.
Actually while I have you on this, what takes longer, a book or a box to contain both halves of a series?

I can totally see why you'd worry but you did just pick two projects where we did our own thing. To be clear in this case - what I am saying here is we're well ahead of planning and are releasing as close to US release as is possible for Re:Zero Part 2. So if it's released in the USA in September, we'll go out 6 - 13 days after ideally.

Side-note wise - looking at the two projects mentioned. By the by, two small details on Hyouka too as an example of the overall picture for releases:
  • Actually the whole series had been released in the USA before our first part (in line with when we confirmed the rights & received assets). When you factor in design time and approvals - the gap between releases isn't actually going to be much different than the US unless you create something new.

• Funimation took just under 6 months to release Part 2 from Part 1 release (7th of April release for Part 1, 26th of September release for Part 2). This factors in authoring time, production of graphics and approval time. For us you can replace authoring time with book translation & preparation in this case but the same effect - it takes time to rotate in a designer to work on a package. In this case we're just over 6 months in end but making that scale of book then approving it takes time that ultimately we feel is worth it and is still within industry norms for release window of Part 1 and 2 of a show. TL;DR - Phew!
Timescales vary depending on what you do (sometimes you can do it on 4 months like Funimation did with Assassination Classroom in the USA), however sometimes one asset takes a lot longer to approve than expected and drags it out a bit (which happened to us in this case through no fault of anybody on any side meant closer to 10 months). Whatever the situation believe you me, we always want the shows out as quickly as we can because we rather like keeping the lights on here in the office, which requires us to be able to pay the bills :D.

Re what takes longer - Bit of a chicken and the egg style scenario. Depends on what you're doing on any given project - aka the box for one of our projects can take longer than many booklets if an original concept while the larger artbooks (either localised from Japan or original works) can take months just to approve it on its own. Really just depends on the project.

AP

Last edited:
that's strange, everywhere states the first half of Hyouka was released in July not April, part 2 was September, I think perhaps you've read the date wrong, the US are quite backwards on their dates, they go month first, not as we do day first, hence why you made the mistake so the 9/4 in US is the 4th of July, not the 9 of April, which was a Wednesday, and US releases mostly come out on Tuesdays.

Whoops - totally did! Mind you, the point still holds that about 4-6 months at least for LE product is pretty much the standard (as you'll see in the case of Re:Zero both in the UK and USA I believe). In thus case as that was also a standard edition only, it's totally plausible that they had a 2 month gap especially if they did authoring etc in one burst (which again isn't always the case).

Either way, as said before for Re:Zero Part 2 (and in general whenever we can), we'll have the series out within 6-13 days after the US :). Hope this helps!

Best,

Andrew

Speaking of closing the gap, I'll be very impressed if you can manage to release The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst in the same month as the US release (which you've scheduled for late August, but could change if Funi don't list it for their August slate).

On another note, I'm kinda disappointed there's no collector's edition for K's sequels (primarily Return of Kings - I was expecting a shop exclusive one but oh well).

Speaking of closing the gap, I'll be very impressed if you can manage to release The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst in the same month as the US release (which you've scheduled for late August, but could change if Funi don't list it for their August slate).

On another note, I'm kinda disappointed there's no collector's edition for K's sequels (primarily Return of Kings - I was expecting a shop exclusive one but oh well).

We don't usually announce shop exclusive's until nearer the time, so we'll keep people updated if one happens :). This in no way means one is happening either atm btw (or that it isn't!)

We don't usually announce shop exclusive's until nearer the time, so we'll keep people updated if one happens :). This in no way means one is happening either atm btw (or that it isn't!)
I hope one does happen, it's a duo of releases I've been holding out on importing for a while now

Last edited:
Has anything been said why there is a vast size difference between the erased part 1 and 2 packaging??
My bad actually checked it with my own copies and it's just width not height from what I seen someone post on the thread the otherday Which isn't a problem

My bad actually checked it with my own copies and it's just width not height from what I seen someone post on the thread the otherday Which isn't a problem
I must have a dud copy or something then as mine is also quite clearly taller too, like not by a lot (hence why I said ever so slightly, like 2mm tops) but it's different enough that I can notice it across the room... I mean it's not exactly a problem, just looks a bit sloppy tbh.

Anyhoo,

DcxHxGtXcAAiDq4.jpg:large

I'm really looking forward to this one, can't say I'm a fan of the design used for the poster (which makes me even more annoyed I missed the other poster they did ;_; ) but the rest of the release looks great.

I like the subtle note on the AL product page to stop people complaining about the price. Posters don't usually interest me but I enjoyed this film and might go for the bundle.

R

Yet Lu which has a dub has the same RRP :thinking

So you're saying we should charge more than TNIS for Lu because of the extra language then? :thinking

Well, now if I ever raise my prices by a proportionate amount because I include not only Japanese language but English AND then French with some bonus French subtitles - the quoted message is what you can all thank now for it :D!

(In all seriousness, producing Collector's product is expensive work and we try to not make it worse by varying the price on factors like a dub as it has value across an SVOD or TV deal plus the whole lifespan of the homevideo on a show. So, except for special circumstances, we follow a set pattern of £34.99 for an LE on a film and £59.99 on an LE of a 1-cour TV series).

Best,

Andrew

Last edited:
I must have a dud copy or something then as mine is also quite clearly taller too, like not by a lot (hence why I said ever so slightly, like 2mm tops) but it's different enough that I can notice it across the room... I mean it's not exactly a problem, just looks a bit sloppy tbh.

The thing with LE print works is that sometimes the rigid board varies a bit. We measured it here and it was a fractional difference (under 1.5mm which is within tolerances and with white samples - aka blank products - that kind of difference is very hard to spot without going OTT on the examination. Variance between products assembled can vary a small degree too which would probably explain yours - always frustrates us too when we see it with print product).

DcxHxGtXcAAiDq4.jpg:large

I'm really looking forward to this one, can't say I'm a fan of the design used for the poster (which makes me even more annoyed I missed the other poster they did ;_; ) but the rest of the release looks great.

The poster art is from the LE in Japan and as we had to scrounge it / wanted to offer something new to people buying that participated in the 12 Days of Xmas, this came about (the detail on it makes it a fun challenge to spot things from the film). I love the movie quad poster too though so I totally hear you though!

AP,
Has a huge soft spot for this film.

Even if there doesn't appear anything else from the Q3 line up that I'm interested in, Night is Short more than makes up for it. I'll be all over this release like a fly on some particularly sexy manure. The whole set look amazing, and that includes the who's-who scenic poster. I just hope I can finally spot Wally soon ^^.

Great work guys.

The Discotek release of Lupin the Third: Part IV Japanese version will feature improved subtitles:

To be honest, pretty much everyone else who was upset understood the situation when we explained it. And it's not that I wanted separate sets, it's just that given the materials and mandates and cost involved, it made more sense to do two.

I understand your point of view; having to wait sucks, but here's the thing. There were two choices here. Dub set now, subtitle set later. Or, try to do both now. However, to do both now, we would've rushed together the subtitle-only set. It would've had the simulcast scripts, with mistranslations, weird name spellings, not so great timing, no real extras, etc. So pretty much you'd be spending your money to get what you can already get on Crunchyroll for free. Why would you want that?

The answer is you don't. You wouldn't like a rushed together set. You would've been mad at the typos, bad timing, and all of that, just like any consumer, myself included, would be. So we chose the best of two bad choices. Taking the time to ensure the subtitled set is good. Because to do the kind of releases we do, on the manpower we have, it takes time.

Tell me, of these two options, which is the better one? To me, it's taking the time to make a better product.

If having to wait 2 or 3 months for the subtitle release has really burned up all the good will you have for us, I'm sorry our best effort wasn't good enough. We work really hard to ensure we do a good job and get these Lupin releases right, and I still would rather wait and release a better product than slap it together just to meet a specific release date.

I take it the Anime Limited BD will have the simulcast subtitle script?

Back