UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Aye, because the BBFC isn't in yet so that gets filled in when done and off to print :). Thought it more important so folk knew the details were printed on the back. That'll teach me though! I'll just put "contains nothing until BBFC'd" in future then ;3.
And there was me thinking it was some kind of Shimoneta sequel :p

To the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) you've never printed the info on the back of the actual box before. Why the change for this release? Will it become the norm going forward? You must realise it's not gonna be a popular choice....

To the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) you've never printed the info on the back of the actual box before. Why the change for this release? Will it become the norm going forward? You must realise it's not gonna be a popular choice....
Some of the older sets have the info on the box (Cowboy Bebop, Perfect Blue, Durarara!!, Tiger and Bunny: The Rising) and I think more recently Lucky Star had it printed directly on the box (I don't own this one so may be wrong).

These titles had the info on the back of the box:
Blood Lad
Cowboy Bebop
Durarara Season 1
Prisma Illya
Hal
Kill la Kill Part 1 and 2
Ping Pong
Tiger and Bunny Movie 1 and 2

These titles had the info on the back of the slipcover:
Case of Hana and Alice
Expelled from Paradise
Fuse
Mai Mai Miracle
Makoto Shinkai twin Pack
Patema Inverted
Psychic School Wars
Re:Cyborg009
Royal space Force
Space Dandy season 1 and 2

I like having info on the back of a release. I'm content with slipcovers with the info on, which gives artbox fans their clean artboxes, but even that seems to be getting rarer nowadays in favour of an info sheet that some people still complain about. People that hate release information seem unwilling to compromise.

These titles had the info on the back of the box:
Blood Lad
Cowboy Bebop
Durarara Season 1
Prisma Illya
Hal
Kill la Kill Part 1 and 2
Ping Pong
Tiger and Bunny Movie 1 and 2

These titles had the info on the back of the slipcover:
Case of Hana and Alice
Expelled from Paradise
Fuse
Mai Mai Miracle
Makoto Shinkai twin Pack
Patema Inverted
Psychic School Wars
Re:Cyborg009
Royal space Force
Space Dandy season 1 and 2

Grav being picky with some corrections:
  • Kill la Kill had a small slipcover with the info details.
  • Lucky Star has info on the back, same way that Anthem of the Heart does.
  • 009 Re:Cyborg has info on the back.

I like having info on the back of a release. I'm content with slipcovers with the info on, which gives artbox fans their clean artboxes, but even that seems to be getting rarer nowadays in favour of an info sheet that some people still complain about. People that hate release information seem unwilling to compromise.
Where have you seen people complain about that? :s a bizarre thing to moan about, and that's coming from me, someone who loves a good moan.

Last edited:
Grav being picky with some corrections:
  • Kill la Kill had a small slipcover with the info details.
  • Lucky Star has info on the back, same way that Anthem of the Heart does.
  • 009 Re:Cyborg has info on the back.
Honestly, Kill La Kill is in the box that came with part 3, so I guessed.
Where have you seen people complain about that? :s a bizarre thing to moan about, and that's coming from me, someone who loves a good moan.
Mostly a particular person that struggles to remove the info sheets without damaging the artboxes. Though I'm not actually sure how that's something it's possible to struggle with.

Mostly a particular person that struggles to remove the info sheets without damaging the artboxes. Though I'm not actually sure how that's something it's possible to struggle with.
Oddly, I dunno if your talking about me as I do think I have moaned about that, I kept getting weird bumps on my sets where the glue was lol not once have I suggested that info sheets shouldn't be a thing though, they are by far the best option for me.

Oddly, I dunno if your talking about me as I do think I have moaned about that, I kept getting weird bumps on my sets where the glue was lol not once have I suggested that info sheets shouldn't be a thing though, they are by far the best option for me.
Definitely not you, I don't think i've ever noticed you complaining about it thus far.

Interesting, thank you for that. I wouldn't agree that they'd be more trouble than they're worth, but then again anime companies' extras policies have always confused me to no end. But I believe Momotaro is licensed from Shochiku, who would probably be more straightforward (Eureka, Arrow, Criterion, BFI have all licensed their live action content and been able to include great extras)

Furthermore to my previous post, I have managed to track something down - turns out that in 1987 (according to this recent two-part article by Mitsuyo Seo's grandson, Yutakachi Seo), after the first TV broadcast of Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors, there was a conversation between Osamu Tezuka and Mitsuyo Seo moderated by critic Masahiro Ogi. I don't know if this has ever been released or broadcast again, and it's almost certainly never been subtitled but it has been uploaded to Youtube here. I can't seem to find which channel it was actually broadcast on but it would be an invaluable extra if AL could figure it out.

EDIT: There's also a roundtable discussion about Momotaro between Mitsuyo SEO, Osamu TEZUKA, Takuya MORI, Emiko OKADA, Goro SUGIMOTO, and more in this reprinted issue of FILM1/24. Tezuka also wrote an essay on the film, published recently in this collection.

Another Edit: This appears to be a transcript of the above discussion between Tezuka, Seo and Ogi. Seems it was broadcast on TBS as part of a Saturday movie slot. Not sure if any more info is out there. Can't find an exact date.

Another possible extra for Momotaro - Isao Takahata wrote an article for the Shimbun Akahata (published by the Japanese Communist Party...) back in August looking at Momotaro and what we should read from wartime propaganda films today.

And, as part of the terrific new site from the National Film Centre, Tokyo*, they've uploaded the pre-war Momotaro of the Sea in restored HD. Totally silent, sadly; I'm not sure if the audio has simply been lost or if it would originally have had live accompaniment.

*There's perhaps an opportunity to market the Momotaro release as a broader celebration of 100 years of anime? It would certainly be a marketing hook. cc @anime_andrew

Last edited:
I like having info on the back of a release. ... that seems to be getting rarer nowadays in favour of an info sheet that some people still complain about.
Where have you seen people complain about that? :s a bizarre thing to moan about
I'll complain about it if you like. :p

I just personally don't get how info sheets hanging on with glue dots could possibly be regarded as better than just having the info on the back. I mean, do you really need clean artwork front and back? Where are you supposed to store the removed info sheet? I dislike those flimsy paper wraparound info sheets that came with some of Beez's titles back in the day, and at least those have spines either side that sort of give you a fighting chance of aligning them with the actual box and storing them that way.

I'll complain about it if you like. :p

I just personally don't get how info sheets hanging on with glue dots could possibly be regarded as better than just having the info on the back. I mean, do you really need clean artwork front and back?
Do I need it? No, but then I also don't need the bluray, I certainly don't need a collector's edition of it. Do I want it? Yes, why wouldn't I? It looks far nicer that a big block of text on the box (text I don't actually need as I already know what the shows about). It's a preference, I wouldn't just pass on a show because of it but given the choice I would much prefer more artwork on my box than a bunch of text.

Where are you supposed to store the removed info sheet?

I mean, I just stick em in the box.

Inside the box. Thats why they are made slightly smaller than the back of the box these days.
I mean, I just stick em in the box.
Forcing you to have to fish the thing out of the bloody box to be able to look at. I know it's not an AL release or anything, but the deluxe edition of Time of EVE: The Movie is a case in point. It's got an awkward wraparound info sheet (which I store inside the box) that contains the track list for the soundtrack CD, forcing you to have to remove the booklet as well to get to it (or risk crushing the info sheet with the digipack if you have them stored the other way around). And all for the privilege of having the back of the slipcover completely blank. Just print the info on the back, for god's sake!

Gah! :mad:

Forcing you to have to fish the thing out of the bloody box to be able to look at. I know it's not an AL release or anything, but the deluxe edition of Time of EVE: The Movie is a case in point. It's got an awkward wraparound info sheet (which I store inside the box) that contains the track list for the soundtrack CD, forcing you to have to remove the booklet as well to get to it (or risk crushing the info sheet with the digipack if you have them stored the other way around). And all for the privilege of having the back of the slipcover completely blank. Just print the info on the back, for god's sake!

Gah! :mad:
You make it sound like getting the digipack out of the artcase takes several minutes whereas it doesn't even take one. I've always been a proponent of more artworks especially for CE. Want the information faster? Look it up with your phone, take a picture of it or buy the SE.

Look it up with your phone
You clearly haven't seen how old a model my phone is! :p
You make it sound like getting the digipack out of the artcase takes several minutes
Nah, it's not that at all. It's just, say for example you find yourself thinking "I want to rewatch that extra feature again; you know, the interview with the scriptwriter. Now, was it in the extras for season 1 or season 2...? I can't remember." Now you've got to faff about emptying the boxes of their contents just to dig out the info sheets rather than just turn the box around at look at the back.

To me it's no different to disliking cases which stack the discs, and those seem to be allowed to be unpopular. Again, it's not like stacked discs are a major hassle or anything: just take the top disc out, sit it down, take out the bottom disc, put that one in your player and snap the top disc back into the case. But it is nicer to have easier access to individual discs. And info. :p

What can I say? I just agree with @Jaysgba.

Back