UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'm really hopeful that Sunrise are going to release non Gundam Mecha series once they are done getting all of Gundam out. The signs are there as Vifam, Heavy Metal L-Gaim and Aura Battler Dunbine are available in the US on Daisuki for streaming.

I hope so, but I hope I don't have to wait that long! I don't think it would cannabalise sales - it's a standalone work so would probably only need one or two releases.

If I have it right, I think Anime Limited are the only UK distributor who haven't delved into the live action Asian film market yet...

So I have a question for Andrew - is this something you guys can see yourself doing in the near future?

Out of interest, what would you have them release? I think it would have made sense to release the live action of Hana and Alice with the anime sequel, but that ship has sailed. There's certainly not a shortage of anime that they could be releasing.

I mean, I'm not opposed to Anime Limited branching out but the likes of Arrow are doing a good job at releasing classic and cult Japanese cinema, but they're not releasing classic anime.

War in pocket won't be happening. You'll have to import the US release.

Has that been confirmed by Andrew in the past? I'm not a particular fan of most Gundam, but I'd snap up War in the Pocket up without hesitation, whether on dvd or blu ray. If there's any interest in releasing it over here I can happily wait rather than going to rightstuf.

I'm really hopeful that Sunrise are going to release non Gundam Mecha series once they are done getting all of Gundam out. The signs are there as Vifam, Heavy Metal L-Gaim and Aura Battler Dunbine are available in the US on Daisuki for streaming.

Man, seeing a release of the Vifam tv series and ovas would be a dream.

Yup, he has confirmed that anything DVD-only from Rightstuf won't be getting a UK release so we're safe to go ahead and import.

Fair enough. Well, I guess I'll have to add that to my upcoming order of shows that won't be seeing a UK release any time soon.

Last edited:
Yup, he has confirmed that anything DVD-only from Rightstuf won't be getting a UK release so we're safe to go ahead and import.
Indeed, this is due to Sunrise forcing AL to make any Gundam dvds they release PAL. A lot of the Japanese companies are afraid of reverse imports of the UK version with NTSC discs due to being in the same DVD region.

Gotta say, the decision not to release War in the Pocket over here seems a bit wrong headed to me.

I mean, it's a pretty short series, and compared to a lot of other Gundam anime, it's really accessible. It's self contained, looks great and, curiously, the final episode gives me a hankering for hamburgers.*

You'd think something like that would be the ideal show to release in a territory where Gundam perhaps hasn't got the strongest foothold. I'd (perhaps misguidedly) expect a six episode OVA to be more affordable than a 50 episode series in its entirety. So maybe an ideal pick up for those curious about the franchise?

*Yes. I went there.

No dispatch for me yet.

bvAMESE.gif

Back