UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Well, all I know is that Funimation said on ANNCast it's one of their bestselling titles and currently Amazon is selling the last of their stock at a discount to Prime members only. As for AL I don't even know if they will release it this year or what it will look like if they do.

Straight opinion- none of the design choices bother me. The bleed is barely noticeable, the stacking is a mild inconvenience (I've received plenty of releases with hinged trays that had the clips damage in transit) and the dots help break up what would otherwise be straight white. I'm even impressed by the new art on the art box which seems to be a photoshopped composition of the central art's background (used on the old BEI boxset) and images for the Gundam Perfect File magazine if I have my sources right.

Same here, nothing I can't live with.

I tried swapping out the squared cases for some spare rounded ones, but the downside is that it's a tighter squeeze in the box, which may cause problems when the second case and art booklet is housed. I'm not overly bothered with the stacks used here, much better an option than say the GoT steels where the discs are literally stacked one on top of the other.

My only gripe, and it's a minor gripe, is that we've now had three Gundam releases, and all three seem to use different types of case;

0079 - rounded blue
Recon - clear
Zeta - squared blue

If they could be a little more consistent going forward, it WOULD be appreciated! :) Although I grant, it's a first-world gripe :D

Preference-wise, the clear cases worked really well on the Recon set, particularly with the white bordered default art on the cases.

Same here, nothing I can't live with.

I tried swapping out the squared cases for some spare rounded ones, but the downside is that it's a tighter squeeze in the box, which may cause problems when the second case and art booklet is housed. I'm not overly bothered with the stacks used here, much better an option than say the GoT steels where the discs are literally stacked one on top of the other.

My only gripe, and it's a minor gripe, is that we've now had three Gundam releases, and all three seem to use different types of case;

0079 - rounded blue
Recon - clear
Zeta - squared blue

If they could be a little more consistent going forward, it WOULD be appreciated! :) Although I grant, it's a first-world gripe :D

Preference-wise, the clear cases worked really well on the Recon set, particularly with the white bordered default art on the cases.
If we ever reach a Gundam that requires four discs in one keepcase, they'll have to use different again; a 14mm Elite for it or a 25mm Amaray, so let's just hope that doesn't happen.

If we ever reach a Gundam that requires four discs in one keepcase, they'll have to use different again; a 14mm Elite for it or a 25mm Amaray, so let's just hope that doesn't happen.

Shouldn't get to that - from Zeta we know that 9 episodes on a disc isn't a no-no. Worst comes to the worst that's 6x9 episodes if needs be - AFAIK none of the shows go above 54 episodes.

Shouldn't get to that - from Zeta we know that 9 episodes on a disc isn't a no-no. Worst comes to the worst that's 6x9 episodes if needs be - AFAIK none of the shows go above 54 episodes.

There's SEED with 98? episodes (But i guess it would be split between SEED/Destiny so it isn't really a problem)

There's SEED with 98? episodes (But i guess it would be split between SEED/Destiny so it isn't really a problem)

Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny is going to be a bit of a trainwreck in some form. The Blu-rays released in Japan are apparently director's cut versions so the existing dub may not sync with them. Chances are we could get an Escaflowne situation (TV version for original dub, DC version for new dub if that happens).

In other words if the Escaflowne method does indeed happen, then the UK release would use 4 discs per 2-cour at least.

Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny is going to be a bit of a trainwreck in some form. The Blu-rays released in Japan are apparently director's cut versions so the existing dub may not sync with them. Chances are we could get an Escaflowne situation (TV version for original dub, DC version for new dub if that happens).

In other words if the Escaflowne method does indeed happen, then the UK release would use 4 discs per 2-cour at least.
In that case, they should just get someone that understands how to do seamless branching to author the discs and keep it down to 3 discs.

Cannot see Tokyo Marble Chocolate, Pigtails or Charlotte listed, I presume they must be titles they're looking to slot in (as mentioned in the newswire)

Anything we've not mentioned is just as the date is still somewhat fluid - but all of those are Q2 titles definitely.

Pigtails, just finished work on the 160 page storyboard book, onto the main booklet.

Best,

AP

Guess we won't be seeing Death Parade and Eureka Seven any time soon.

Depends on definition of soon - Death Parade took a while to get some of the JP assets we wanted like the delicious book. Eureka Seven I am actually working on now for the book too but it's a LOT of manual work here to compile - so I don't want to list it until I am 1000% ready.

This is what I mean about the Catch-22. Old school Andrew would have risked it, listed these then delayed them. But we're going to get poked or such either way - this is definitely the better way to handle it.

Why no updates on individual shows off forum? Because I have a literally hundreds of products to work out in any given year so poor Jeremy would be here for a while if I had to list every one :).

Hope this helps,

AP

SEED HD is a bit of a weird thing in that it's trying to make a pre widescreen show widescreen and a lot of the edits are usually just seconds of new HD animation. They even retcon a few things, mainly for Gunpla sales or weird things like more fanservice.

The subs themselves are basically the same ones BEI used when they released the original cut.

On a related not it makes me wonder if we'll see Unicorn RE:0096, since its HD and has both dub and sub ready. Kind of a shame there are no viable TV markets for it here.

Seems Q2 is quite light for me on series, most of my buys are going to be films and OVA's.
Anthem, Persona, Pigtails, Tokyo Marble Chocolate, Eva, Sword of the Stranger, Belladonna, and Momotaro.

The only series I'm picking up (unless we get a surprise) are Lupin, Overlord, Erased and possibly Charlotte. Still unsure on Gangsta, it had such potential!

SEED HD is a bit of a weird thing in that it's trying to make a pre widescreen show widescreen and a lot of the edits are usually just seconds of new HD animation. They even retcon a few things, mainly for Gunpla sales or weird things like more fanservice.

The subs themselves are basically the same ones BEI used when they released the original cut.

On a related not it makes me wonder if we'll see Unicorn RE:0096, since its HD and has both dub and sub ready. Kind of a shame there are no viable TV markets for it here.
I believe Andrew said he wanted the original Unicorn OVAs instead. Though, unfortunately, he's probably at Sunrise's mercy for what he can do.

Back