UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I had no idea this 6 months/3 months stuff was a thing tbh. I don't really have much interest in SE and I don't want an UE, I want a CE as they are what AL are actually good at :/ Oh we'll, if it's UE then a SE 3-6 months later I'll just do without, or import from elsewhere as why on earth would I wait on a SE?

There will be something more normal sized too - Eureka Seven is actually an experiment in a few ways :). More in due course but I did like having a full sized book in FMA and then sets you could put elsewhere in a normal scale so just thinking things through here. That'd address the core issue you have on size.

I am purely free thinking here so to be clear to everyone, one and all, I am not saying it will be this way - I'm just soliciting opinions.

That said - one thing you may see for Eureka Seven on day one (or I am debating) is similar to FMA:
  • Ultimate Edition - £149.99 / £199.99 depending on extras with special on the store as per Escaflowne etc in past so in line with that pricing.
  • Collector's Edition Part 1 (25 eps, same month) - £49.99 SRP with something small inside OR £39.99 for nice packaging perhaps
  • Collector's Edition Part 2 (25 eps, 1-2 months later) - £49.99 SRP with something small inside OR £39.99 for nice packaging perhaps
Or we could do two standard options alongside it but I kind of like the idea of a CE version to complement it. Always open to opinion though :).

There's a reason this is taking time too as I need to consider a lot of factors - but it'll all be clear soon enough :). Either way, it's in progress! None of the assets are well organised on this one so it's a tonne of work...

Best,

AP

I did like having a full sized book in FMA and then sets you could put elsewhere in a normal scale so just thinking things through here. That'd address the core issue you have on size.
I hope if this is done again, the sets will include the slipcover from the standard release, or at least be available to purchase seperately.

Not complaining, just making it known that some of us like slipcovers on our artboxes.

Or we could do two standard options alongside it but I kind of like the idea of a CE version to complement it. Always open to opinion though :).
If you're soliciting opinions I'll bite! Not that I represent anyone but hey!

I'd always opt for the lower price point over the higher price point/larger packing to accommodate the "something". (If I really love the show I'd shoot for your ultimate edition obviously!).

I always liked Funimation's thing of an artbox with part 1 at slightly higher price point, then a standard part 2 to go in it, to compliment their really fancy version if they did one. As not only does it spread the cost a bit, I still get a fancy(ish) version that I can choose to display the artbox for or just stick the cases on a shelf, as well as replace the cases should they get damaged.

My main problem with them was their artboxes seemed a bit cheap and cheerful (like the earlier AL ones), whereas you seem to have come a long way since then with some of the packaging (the outlaw star/kill la kill boxes with the matt/gloss mix were awesome).

You could use an artbook/guidebook as the spacer for part 2 perhaps rather than some lousy bit of card to justify the price or something. That way you could build up a bit of a collection of books for the shows you like to sit along side the now filled artboxes. Also if they could all use the same design principle/be the same dimensions that'd be great...

Last edited:
The problem with including an art box with the 1st part is when it inevitably goes out of stock people complain and refrain from picking up the release altogether due to a feeling of getting less for more. Wouldn't be surprised if some people skipped out on Gundam because they missed out on the box.

If you're soliciting opinions I'll bite! Not that I represent anyone but hey!

I'd always opt for the lower price point over the higher price point/larger packing to accommodate the "something". (If I really love the show I'd shoot for your ultimate edition obviously!).

I always liked Funimation's thing of an artbox with part 1 at slightly higher price point, then a standard part 2 to go in it, to compliment their really fancy version if they did one. As not only does it spread the cost a bit, I still get a fancy(ish) version that I can choose to display the artbox for or just stick the cases on a shelf, as well as replace the cases should they get damaged.

My main problem with them was their artboxes seemed a bit cheap and cheerful (like the earlier AL ones), whereas you seem to have come a long way since then with some of the packaging (the outlaw star/kill la kill boxes with the matt/gloss mix were awesome).

You could use an artbook/guidebook as the spacer for part 2 perhaps rather than some lousy bit of card to justify the price or something. That way you could build up a bit of a collection of books for the shows you like to sit along side the now filled artboxes. Also if they could all use the same design principle/be the same dimensions that'd be great...
Yeah like they did with assassins classroom or what mvm entertainment did with fate/zero

The problem with including an art box with the 1st part is when it inevitably goes out of stock people complain and refrain from picking up the release altogether due to a feeling of getting less for more. Wouldn't be surprised if some people skipped out on Gundam because they missed out on the box.
Ahh true, hmm, just license unpopular shows! That way there's always bound to be some left at a retailer!

Or have some weird build your own artbox kit, where you just supply the parts to stick on a generic art box with the standard cases. OR BLU-RAY CASES THAT COMBINE!! LIKE GURREN LAGANN!!

I think I've lost my train of thought... time for bed perhaps.

That's why you release it at a lower price like mvm did with fate/zero which I bought without the box

ZtwyrMA.jpg
RG3wbK6.jpg

Sex.

I think you've summed it up well.

I only just read this:

Jan 17, 2017:
SLA 2014
Sword of the Stranger (re-release?)
We can dream, right? A fancy-pants collectors edition with all sorts of juicy art and video extras. Ohhh yeaaaahhh :D

It worked!! :D

I know this a bit late, but I'm really happy about the CE Overlord news. I now will happily wait for its release in the UK. Thanks for listening to our demands!

Completely off subject of ANYTHING that has been discussed over the past 5 or so pages. But a question to Andrew or Jeremy.

Taking your friendship with Funi into account and the fact they dont have a problem with Blu ray only releases.

What are the chances of a rescue & re release of Baka & Test on Blu ray???? Maybe with a pretty little art box for both seasons ;)

With the Manga DVD now well OOP and going for silly money. If deprives new fans and old for accessing this great series.

What are the chances of a rescue & re release of Baka & Test on Blu ray???? Maybe with a pretty little art box for both seasons ;)

With the Manga DVD now well OOP and going for silly money. If deprives new fans and old for accessing this great series.

I remember hearing something that FUNi cannot allow Baka & Test to have any more blu-rays printed or something like that. Madman cancelled their blu-ray release that was meant to come out soon.

I remember hearing something that FUNi cannot allow Baka & Test to have any more blu-rays printed or something like that. Madman cancelled their blu-ray release that was meant to come out soon.
Now I'm even more intreaged! Could Andrew or Jeremy shed some insider light on the matter??

I think the issue is, objectively they are getting less for the same price.

That's a very hard narrative to conquer, because whilst it's primarily feeling based, there's objective fact to back it up. Having discussed this with Andrew before, the comparison he used was with video games and pre-order bonuses. AL's marketing was very much in line with their previous CEs, so perhaps people were expecting a "standard edition" price drop once the box ran out. This is also where the video game comparison runs awry. In that video game prices drop substantially, very quickly. By the time pre-order bonuses have gone, you're generally paying a substantially reduced price. Anime doesn't have that rapid devaluation problem, so in effect, customers are being expected to pay the same amount of money for what many believe to be a vastly inferior product.

Full disclosure: I'm still waiting on a better price for Gundam, so maybe my opinion is invalid.

Hmm, I think Fairy Tail is pretty popular despite its (relatively) low profile. It would be interesting to see it getting a shot at a theatrical release. Times really have changed!

R

Back