UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'm down for an Outlaw Star Blu-ray. The HD transfer for the show is absolutely fantastic and it's by far the best to come from Sunrise.
I... wouldn't be down for an Ultimate edition though...

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of Ultimate editions but I'm really not fond of the large form factor. Sometimes I wonder if they're just big for the sake of being big (like NISA's old PE sets). I just really don't have the space for them anymore, hence why I bought Terror in Resonance from Funi - but I tend to prefer smaller sets anyway. The Japanese BD Box for example is far more appealing to me because it's BD sized and uses two clear BD cases (for some reason that alone goes a long way for me compared to standard blue amarays or a digipack). If this is indeed a standard sized CE release then I will be all over it.

Question though. Is the dub going to be properly re-synced to the HD Masters this time? I've read that this was not the case for the DVD release.

they're big because the art books. Although, I see what looks like a digipack in this release so possibly this UE moves away from the Terror in Resonance/FMP sized sets and will be either DVD or BD sized - i wouldn't think they'd make a digipack the size needed to fit a box from their usual UE sizes. Plus, from what I can see, they're more or less replicating the JP BD Box just with a digipack instead of two amarays.

The cover art looks absolutely stunning. Not 100% convinced I'll double dip for this yet - but I'm definitely glad it's just a CE, as it'll probably be much more affordable that way. One to put on the Xmas list perhaps.

Now the important question...

cGFNdAd.png

WHAT IS THE PRICE.

I still only own the old Beez Anime Legends DVD release, so I'm definitely up for the upgrade, even more so after seeing the clean up job on the opening. It's the same kind of real noticeable improvement that got me to upgrade my old Beez Bebop sets to the blu-rays. Now to wait for the price, I'm hoping it will be around the same as the Gundam sets (roughly the same episode count + art book, though this obviously looks a bit bigger.)

Still got my DVD release sealed & will probably leave it that way & watch it once the CE is a reasonable price, or if a there's good early bird offer ill get it day one.

For anyone wondering how the Blu-ray looks in comparison to the Anime Limited DVD release, you can find a few caps from the BD here and DVD here.
Alternatively I've also done direct comparison shots on screenshotcomparison here (1-6) and here (7-12). With the exception of shot 7 which captured the wrong frame, the rest of the images are pretty much direct comparisons with the difference being down to how the BD remaster is framed slightly differently to the DVD.

EDIT: Fixed broken images in second comparison set.

Last edited:
Time to triple dip on Outlaw Star. Beautiful box artwork.

Gonna need some tight budgeting plans for the last 3 months of the year, lots of goodies..and I still haven't picked up Sam Flam & FMP, argh.

I totally concur with everyone on the love/hate for the oversized UE's. I did it for NIS because they were still easy to store if done so horizontally. But the AL UE's have been really hard to find space for, which is why I only have 3 of them. I totally prefer the CE designs.

Well, I still have the old import DVDs so saw no reason to go for AL's DVD release. I did say I'd be interested if they got it out on Blu-ray...

As such, I'm definitely interested. Although for me t's definitely going to be down to a combination of price and whether a standard edition is announced. With enough of a discount, I'll jump on this release. Well, unless a standard is already announced at that point, at which I'd actually need the LE to be really cheap. (Amaray case at standard size is, strangely, something I'd actually pay £2-5 more for than a digipack and/or box that sticks out of my shelves. And I know full well that's just my own peculiarity.)

Looking at that artwork, is that box Ultimate Edition sized? And if so, does that mean another awful oversized digipack? (the box looks smaller to me, but not sure).

It's not an Ultimate, what it is though is as below:
  • 4 BDs like the Japanese release, same transfer, with sub and dub added.
  • All 26 episodes
  • Collector's Packaging as in Japan, with digi instead of Amaray
  • 100 page artbook
  • Before any other territory in Europe or the USA or Australia
On disc extras:
  • Pilot Film (duration: 1 min 56secs)
  • Title-Free Opening 1
  • Title-Free Opening 2
  • Title-Free Ending 1
  • Title-Free Ening 2
  • Character Design Gallery 1
  • Character Design Gallery 2
  • Mechanical Design Gallery
  • Character Color Setting Gallery
  • TV Commercials
RRP: £59.99

For all the above, I don't think that's particularly unreasonable...is it?

Best,

AP,
Tired and packing up at Glasgow MCM....

Back