UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

It's not an Ultimate, what it is though is as below:
  • 4 BDs like the Japanese release, same transfer, with sub and dub added.
  • All 26 episodes
  • Collector's Packaging as in Japan, with digi instead of Amaray
  • 100 page artbook
  • Before any other territory in Europe or the USA or Australia
On disc extras:
  • Pilot Film (duration: 1 min 56secs)
  • Title-Free Opening 1
  • Title-Free Opening 2
  • Title-Free Ending 1
  • Title-Free Ening 2
  • Character Design Gallery 1
  • Character Design Gallery 2
  • Mechanical Design Gallery
  • Character Color Setting Gallery
  • TV Commercials
RRP: £59.99

For all the above, I don't think that's particularly unreasonable...is it?

Best,

AP,
Tired and packing up at Glasgow MCM....
Yeah that seems fair enough, only tweet I seen said it was an Ultimate Edition so was concerned. I'll be picking it up, especially after looking at the comparisons Mangaranga posted.

It's not an Ultimate, what it is though is as below:
  • 4 BDs like the Japanese release, same transfer, with sub and dub added.
  • All 26 episodes
  • Collector's Packaging as in Japan, with digi instead of Amaray
  • 100 page artbook
  • Before any other territory in Europe or the USA or Australia
RRP: £59.99

For all the above, I don't think that's particularly unreasonable...is it?

Best,

AP,
Tired and packing up at Glasgow MCM....
I'm... actually pretty baffled by that SRP. Considering it's four self authored BD50s, a 100 page booklet and a box, I expected a much higher price.
Am I reading it correctly that this is literally the same files from the Japanese BDs with sub/dub added like Baccano? If so that makes this even more impressive for the price... Consider me sold regardless. My question as to whether the dub will be synced properly this time still stands though.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering how the Blu-ray looks in comparison to the Anime Limited DVD release, you can find a few caps from the BD here and DVD here.
Alternatively I've also done direct comparison shots on screenshotcomparison here (1-6) and here (7-12).
Huh, and I though the DVD re-release looked good (well, it does in comparison to the awful Bandai/Beez releases). There really is nothing quite like cel animation in HD. Count me in for this one.

Looks like a good release. Amaray > Digipak tho, doubly so if it saves money, just make it a white/black/clear amaray to differentiate it, if its good enough for the ¥34,000 Japanese release its good enough for us. I'm not privy to such analytics tho, maybe digipaks are more sought after and increases sales.

I might pick it up outlaw star sometime when it's heavily discounted or a cheap standard release.

I love old hand drawn anime on blu-ray but outlaw star was a big let down for me. It started with a lot of promise but peetered out as it went on and ended up becoming a thoroughly average anime.

Love Outlaw Star it was one of those show's that got me interested in anime. I'm glad I never picked up the DVD so I will be picking this one up. I suspect it will sell pretty well given that it's a well known show.

Looks like a good release. Amaray > Digipak tho, doubly so if it saves money, just make it a white/black/clear amaray to differentiate it, if its good enough for the ¥34,000 Japanese release its good enough for us. I'm not privy to such analytics tho, maybe digipaks are more sought after and increases sales.

Couldn't agree more. Clear Amaray with double sided artwork is much better than digipack imo

Digipacks are a major factor why I love my JP sets dojo Fate and Owari 1-3 all have amazing digipacks. Some of ALs sadly aint of such high quality looking at GL but mostly like the CE sized ones so PP2, SAO2 baccano are all high quality and they allow for better artwork than amarays imo.

I like some digipacks (1st series of Durarara!! and Baccano! come to mind) but a lot of them just feel cheap tbh, especially the 2 disc ones from Anime Limited so maybe it's a disc count thing, although the ones in the JP Persona 3 movie releases are great, so maybe it is just a build quality/materials thing....

But yeah I'd have to go with a white/black/clear amaray if it was up to me, but seems digipacks are a big thing for AL so meh, we're stuck with them (and by we, I mean people who dislike em as I'm fully aware a lot of people love them).

I get the impression that Funimation's attitude to physical releases in the UK is the same as their attitude to streaming to the UK, i.e. not a priority. I wonder if they'll share the PAL authoring with Australia on No-Rin, as the costs would otherwise begin to make the whole project less attractive.

I should've got into the conversation earlier. Madman already released No-Rin in NTSC format (as stated on their website), so I'm guessing Funimation UK's release will be authored locally.

Bugger, I only replaced the DVDs a short while ago! (I scratched one of the discs in the original set) - still, happy to support releases for retro stuff like this so will be double (triple!) dipping. :)

I'm... actually pretty baffled by that SRP. Considering it's four self authored BD50s, a 100 page booklet and a box, I expected a much higher price.
Am I reading it correctly that this is literally the same files from the Japanese BDs with sub/dub added like Baccano? If so that makes this even more impressive for the price... Consider me sold regardless. My question as to whether the dub will be synced properly this time still stands though.

We also had the BBFCs already done and all the audio / sub assets on hand. The sync should be right this time as Jeremy QC'd it himself here and he's a fine eye for detail on that frontier. Apart from that we worked hard to deliver something at a price we think will make people happy - given the success of the show previously too on TV etc, we hope there's a larger audience to balance the cost of production out1

Literally will be same files but with dub/sub added like Baccano as well which is a tough job to do!

Hope that makes sense...

AP

Back