UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

The Gundam G-Reco set looks lovely! But for a 20-something episode show, the asking price on Amazon is a little steep for me. Oh well... I'lll just have to start saving, unless there's a likelihood of a more bare-bones version down the ine. Those rigid boxes and postcards aren't a huge deal for me.

I must say, though, GREAT news that it's all coming in one set!

The Gundam G-Reco set looks lovely! But for a 20-something episode show, the asking price on Amazon is a little steep for me. Oh well... I'lll just have to start saving, unless there's a likelihood of a more bare-bones version down the ine. Those rigid boxes and postcards aren't a huge deal for me.

With regards to the main series Andrew told me that Sunrise had set the SRP, and that the art book and box were just early bird bonuses. So I'd assume a more barebones version would just be the same SRP.

I made my personal feelings clear on this previously, but since they've now been wiped. I think it's ridiculous to have the SRP for what AL themselves called a "Collector's Edition" match the SRP for the barebones amaray version. If Sunrise weren't willing to give everyone the CE bonuses, they should have never been advised to go for such a high SRP.

Last edited:

Not aimed as a dig or anything, so please don't take negatively :)

I don't get the surprise/disappointment at AL prices anymore, they've been around for a few years now and we all know how they operate and what to expect. I view the price as great in comparison to the rest of their single cour releases. £45 for 26 episodes and artbox and cards vs £45 for Tokyo Ghoul Root A/Psycho Pass/anything else which is 13 episodes, box and book.

I've had it locked in for pre-order for ages, and it's actually one of only 2 AL pre-orders I have kept (the other being Assassination Classroom part 2) after deciding to do away with pre-ordering/day 1/pricey anime

I do appreciate they changed direction with Reco. I get the feeling this was fought for behind the scenes and I don't think Reco has the legs for anything but a complete set to be fair.

Speaking of, sorry if I've rubbed anyone here (members or Anime Limited) the wrong way with my stance on the franchise and UK releases. Worry I come off more harsh/one track than intended.

Not aimed as a dig or anything, so please don't take negatively :)

I don't get the surprise/disappointment at AL prices anymore, they've been around for a few years now and we all know how they operate and what to expect. I view the price as great in comparison to the rest of their single cour releases. £45 for 26 episodes and artbox and cards vs £45 for Tokyo Ghoul Root A/Psycho Pass/anything else which is 13 episodes, box and book.

Nothing wrong with a reply couched like that, Britguy.

I can't really speak for anyone but myself on this, but for me it comes down to how affordable and therefore how attainable anime is for me these days. My finances are stretched ever more thinly year on year, and with some of the SRPs we're seeing lately, it's actually looking increasingly likely that I'm going to have to throw my hands in the air at some point in the near future and say 'oh well, that was fun while it lasted, but I guess I'm done now.' I'm more likely to crape cash together for a Gundam show, but even so, anime pricing is getting to a point for me across the board where I'm really looking hard at everything I buy and asking myself 'is this really worth it?' And I find myself passing on a lot more stuff that I was only casually interested in than I ever used to.

The citing of prices for things like Tokyo Ghoul and Psycho Pass doesn't really seem relevant as I see it because, to be blunt, I never bought those shows at that price point. Psycho Pass 2 I nabbed on DVD for £15 via Amazon pre-order. Tokyo Ghoul I just wouldn't pay that kind of money for. So it's kind of a case where I'm one of those annoying consumers who still has set ideas about value for money and spends accordingly.

No slight intended against Anime Limited there, mind you. They knock out fantastic products, and I'm more than happy to support them where I can.

Although not mentioned in the newswire can AL confirm that their Funi listings on Amazon for:

Yurikuma Arashi - 29th August
Daimidaler vs Penguin Empire - 5th September
High School DxD BorN - 12th September
Yona of the Dawn [Part 2] - 12th September
Mikagura School Suite - 10th October
Show by Rock - 24th October

Are all off the table for the foreseeable future and not going to make those dates?

I didn't add Barakamon or Absolute Duo as they're November and one would assume any BBFC troubles would be ironed out in 4 months time :p

I love the RiG set. I'm one of those heathens that much, much prefers Amaray boxes over all the other fancy "collector/limited" type packaging and the price is OK by what I'm willing to pay, so I like this.

I'm not bothered about stuff like art cards or the outer box, but having the whole series in Amarays in one go is great for me.

So I see Funi are releasing Sword Of the Stranger on bluray in November, anyone think it's something AL might release over here for them? Or is it unlikely they have the license for the UK? Would love to grab it.

This came up recently - I'd be ALL OVER a reasonably priced re-release of Sword of the Stranger provided those annoying subtitle errors near the end of the film were fixed.

Yeah I actually had no idea Funi even had it tbh (or maybe I did and forgot, I am getting old....), I should pay more attention. I'll be picking it up from someone as it's a movie I'd really like to see in HD, but it would be lovely if they fixed the issue you mention.

Must be depressing for AL to keep pushing for it, only to have RightStuf/Nozomi make the big announcement.
Yeah that does kinda suck. I do wonder if they were able to make such an announcement because AL pushed for it, or if it was just a call based on DVD sales or what.

I really hope we don't have to wait too long after the US to get it, I already know 1 person who's switched to buying the US sets because of how slow they are coming out here and I can't imagine he's alone in that.

Yeah that does kinda suck. I do wonder if they were able to make such an announcement because AL pushed for it, or if it was just a call based on DVD sales or what.

I really hope we don't have to wait too long after the US to get it, I already know 1 person who's switched to buying the US sets because of how slow they are coming out here and I can't imagine he's alone in that.

Hopefully I'll be able to trade my crappy dvd sets in(they really are vey poor), still unsure if they'll do that for international owners. Either way will probably double dip on ALs bds.

And for the record, it's not me!

The Turn-A news is certainly a positive. I can understand not wanting to wait, I know I've had occasional thoughts towards importing the ZZ sets, given I've only seen the show once, many years ago and with poor subtitles. Still, I hang on out of a sense of loyalty to the UK Gundam scene, which is slowly starting to crawl from the ashes. (that was a little over dramatic, but what the hell!)

What's the delay with Zeta? I don't think it's expanded on in the newswire.

Also, when will Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin IV CE go up for pre-order?

Delay is authoring for France, you'll see pretty much all 2017 titles back on track though :).

Origin IV will be up shortly this week :).

Best.

AP

Y'all will get it at the same time. Least I could do was let TRSI announce it but it's a result of me digging my heels in on this side about it as DVD only was not viable for the UK and I thought Turn A of all shows deserved BD. There was always going to be a degree of turnaround to get it onto the slate though there as you can guess!

DVD sales were not bad either as far as I gather too btw but just have incidental information on that so nothing substantial!

On the upside, you'll get it soon enough now :). TRSI will be authoring that one.

AP

This came up recently - I'd be ALL OVER a reasonably priced re-release of Sword of the Stranger provided those annoying subtitle errors near the end of the film were fixed.

I've been looking into Stranger independently as there's a lot of bonus material never used before and the film always deserved a Collector's Edition as well really :).

Watch this space!

AP

Back