UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I know that some of the Animatsu/MVM re-releases have already been BBFC'd, thereby saving AL money, but they're also old, and there are not insignificant costs involved in designing and producing CEs for them. And in some cases these series have been allowed to go oop because, presumably, they weren't selling enough to justify renewing the licences. That X post linking to one of those old releases is tragically comical.

Meanwhile... Call of the Night, Dangers in My Heart, Oshi no Ko amongst other non-Crunchy series that haven't had a UK release apparently remain unlicensed. I'm not sure I get what AL are doing here.

Meanwhile... Call of the Night, Dangers in My Heart, Oshi no Ko amongst other non-Crunchy series that haven't had a UK release apparently remain unlicensed. I'm not sure I get what AL are doing here.
I suspect they are over-extending themselves with the Naruto and Bleach licenses. Naruto alone has more episodes than a typical AL slate for a whole year. Plus, most of AL's previous long releases (ie. Gundam) have just been clones of US discs, whereas they have said they will be rewriting the subtitles for Naruto.

I know that some of the Animatsu/MVM re-releases have already been BBFC'd, thereby saving AL money, but they're also old, and there are not insignificant costs involved in designing and producing CEs for them. And in some cases these series have been allowed to go oop because, presumably, they weren't selling enough to justify renewing the licences. That X post linking to one of those old releases is tragically comical.

Don't worry, I have imported both of those series, so expect a UK announcement by Christmas. 😉

Apparently Sentai are very difficult to work with and have very little urgency when it comes to sub licensing to the UK.

I'm sure Sentai have their own worries over reverse importation (if so, why not just pull the same card used on them from Japan and require MVM & co. to geolock discs to block US players?), but it sure would be nice to be able to buy a reasonably priced release of Oshi no Ko now and not in 2026.

Cool they're including CD's but I'll stick to my Crunchyroll LE, good for anyone who hadn't imported it though (though I know a number of us on here did).

Is a bit of a shame that they've split it into two CE's whereas the U.S. release was just one but I guess it's consistent with how AL originally released S1 (prior to the later LE which was just two amaray's and a small booklet which is the version I own for S1).
I cancelled when the UK CE was (re-)announced. Of course, I thought the uk version shown was all ready to go, and didn’t expect it to take that much longer. But more extras and box art.
Still not as bad as AL splitting up Gundam Build Fighters only for the standards to be complete and half the price.
I dunno if it’s it’s a good thing you’ve jinxed this, and the standard edition is now going to all fit in a single case. And if you wait a year or two, it’ll be in the Xmas bogof.

I'm sure Sentai have their own worries over reverse importation (if so, why not just pull the same card used on them from Japan and require MVM & co. to geolock discs to block US players?), but it sure would be nice to be able to buy a reasonably priced release of Oshi no Ko now and not in 2026.
If you're getting more than one at a time you can find it pretty reasonable on eBay.
Found Oshi No Ko for about £28 delivered using the all_your_music buy 2 get 25% off code.
Screenshot_20240911_160544_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20240911_160958_eBay.jpg

Did they specify new subtitles? Not just cloning the US discs (which afaik had a better translation than Manga UK)?
From my understanding, they are creating their own discs and transfer for Naruto, but are using the VIZ transfers for Bleach.

Naruto got delayed because they were supposedly unhappy with the initial set of subtitles they were provided - but who knows what the result will be.

It's actually quite hilarious that their advertisement links to MVM's release.

I know the people working the social media pages aren't the same as those actually working on authoring discs and whatnot, but the culture and values of a company comes from the top down and permeates the rest of the company.

If the guys on the social media pages can't even double check a link, no wonder the people authoring discs and writing booklets for releases often overlook things.
It looks like ALs release is up on the store with both MVM vesrions now delisted, they're not even showing up as sold out.

ChiakaCoffinPrincessS1CollectorsEdition_x1024.png

1726156302659.png

Today's early bird is Chaika: The Coffin Princess Season 1 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray) - SRP £69.99, EB £39.99, AU £35.99
and Chaika: The Coffin Princess Season 2 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray) - SRP £69.99, EB £39.99, AU £35.99

ec7d73a671953dd7370bc9904bd417aa.gif

Last edited:
Anime Limited are releasing Macross Zero on bluray in North America in February. Expect an announcement for here soon.

US release is apparently a Crunchyroll Store exclusive.
Deculture!

I'm watching Macross Frontier at the moment. There's an episode where one of the characters appears in an in-universe movie of the events of Macross Zero. That threw me a bit since I haven't had a chance to watch Zero yet, despite both shows being over 15 years old!

yea, the whole thing with the faux import edition of Godzilla Minus One in the US is really poor, if you're going to include those extras, you should subtitle them. It's somewhat embarrasing for Toho. That message being added for the US release is hilarious, but for all the wrong reasons.

Hard to say whether it will happen over here, depends on whether Toho allows Plaion those extra materials for their edition, or whether it will follow the mainstream release in the US and be more barebones, missing those extras.

Also, I didn't realise that the US mainstream release had stuff that wasn't on this edition, weird.

Last edited:
Toho are notoriously draconian when it comes to overseas Godzilla releases. I'll be very surprised if the UK release has anything that isn't in the US release, with the possible exception of some of AL's infamous art cards.

Someone on the boutique Blu-ray subreddit translated the Godzilla Minus One extras themselves and made the subtitles into .srt files. They're freely available to download.

Although, with this you'd have to watch the disc on a computer (which would require a Blu-ray drive in your PC) and add the subtitle files to a video player software like VLC.

Back