UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

yea, the whole thing with the faux import edition of Godzilla Minus One in the US is really poor, if you're going to include those extras, you should subtitle them. It's somewhat embarrasing for Toho. That message being added for the US release is hilarious, but for all the wrong reasons.

Hard to say whether it will happen over here, depends on whether Toho allows Plaion those extra materials for their edition, or whether it will follow the mainstream release in the US and be more barebones, missing those extras.

Also, I didn't realise that the US mainstream release had stuff that wasn't on this edition, weird.
Buy the Godzilla Minus One Super Duper Ultimate Edition 4K!

Extras still aren't subbed but for that "authentic Japanese experience" now comes with a 12-month subscription to Rosetta Stone!

Does anyone here have any idea whether we can hope for a rerelease of limited collector's editions of Kill la Kill or Gurren Lagann, for example? Has something like that ever happened?

Unfortunately they are hard to come by these days. Especially if, like me, you have to import them to Germany.

I know AL France are releasing their box sets soon, but none of them will include the English Dub, and that's what I'm most interested in.

Does anyone here have any idea whether we can hope for a rerelease of limited collector's editions of Kill la Kill or Gurren Lagann, for example? Has something like that ever happened?

Unfortunately they are hard to come by these days. Especially if, like me, you have to import them to Germany.

I know AL France are releasing their box sets soon, but none of them will include the English Dub, and that's what I'm most interested in.
The titles you ask about did have second CE releases:
Gurren Lagann had a Zavvi version that I believe is slightly more compact (I only have the original, and there’s a lot of space in the digipak!)
Kill La Kill had the slip box ‘LE’ that you picture, which seemed to become the ATA way of doing exactly what you‘re asking about; releasing a second LE. But the thick booklets are certainly lacking.

I don’t particularly consider the practice of putting a couple of Amaray cases into a slipbox much of a LE. But we’ve had a few occasions of this (Charlotte and Silent Voice spring to mind).
But I‘d probably guess that Gurren Lagann is ripe for this kind of treatment depending if/when there’s a Western release of the 4K movie.
And as noted earlier; KLK is already done.

the other difficulty is AoA seems fairly uninterested in allowing others their properties, but I suppose its not absolutely impossible, just somewhat unlikely (partially because these have been licensed before).

Would be nice to have an option for the 4K movies that didn't cost $136 (plus taxes and shipping), or just to see the new dubs where theres no other way of watching it legally, no cinema showing even outside of North America.

the other difficulty is AoA seems fairly uninterested in allowing others their properties, but I suppose its not absolutely impossible, just somewhat unlikely (partially because these have been licensed before).

Would be nice to have an option for the 4K movies that didn't cost $136 (plus taxes and shipping), or just to see the new dubs where theres no other way of watching it legally, no cinema showing even outside of North America.
Yeah, pretty much since Funimation took over Manga UK AoA titles have become unavailable to licence here.

Iirc no AoA titles, excluding re-releases have come out here since the Demon Slayer Mugen Train movie. Though things seem to be starting to move again with Demon Slayer Mugen Train tv and the Entertainment District arcs coming soon. Iinm Anime Limited also recently licenced Blend-S.

Last edited:
I recall several years back MVM mentioning that Aniplex had become increasingly difficult to work with, at least in terms of replying to acquisition requests, signing off on things etc. Who knows how that might have changed, but some huge sea-level changes have occurred since then, namely Sony acquiring Funi & making the Crunchyroll brand their dominant arm for blu ray releases. So if Sony have Aniplex for premium, niche releases, & Crunchyroll for everything else, I don't see them being all that interested in playing ball & letting the likes of Anime Limited re-license some of their high-interest titles. They don't need to anymore. We saw something similar happen in the US some years back when Aniplex effectually took back control of the FMA franchise because they considered it too profitable to stay in Funimaation's hands forever, so I suspect the next time we see a Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill re-release over here it'll be under the CR banner.

It makes me wonder what's going to happen with the Monogatari franchise? Will Sony/Aniplex continue to allow MVM to release the new arcs, or will it go to CR's label? Or not at all if they consider it too niche a title to bother with a physical release?

Last edited:
The titles you ask about did have second CE releases:
Gurren Lagann had a Zavvi version that I believe is slightly more compact (I only have the original, and there’s a lot of space in the digipak!)
Kill La Kill had the slip box ‘LE’ that you picture, which seemed to become the ATA way of doing exactly what you‘re asking about; releasing a second LE. But the thick booklets are certainly lacking.

I don’t particularly consider the practice of putting a couple of Amaray cases into a slipbox much of a LE. But we’ve had a few occasions of this (Charlotte and Silent Voice spring to mind).
But I‘d probably guess that Gurren Lagann is ripe for this kind of treatment depending if/when there’s a Western release of the 4K movie.
And as noted earlier; KLK is already done.

Thank you for your answer. So there is hope?

I can live with a Slipbox+Amaray release. But in the case of Kill la Kill, neither the Complete Series Collection is available nor the individual Amarays (Vol.1 is also sold out on AL). We don't even need to talk about the digipack version. Impossible to find all three of them anywhere.

To be honest, I'm also put off by zavvi exclusives. I've had really bad experiences with their packaging. My zavvi exclusive collector's edition of NGE arrived destroyed and getting my money back and dealing with zavvi's customer service was a nightmare. The return shipping was also extremely expensive as the UK is no longer in the EU.

I hope that expressions of interest will increase the chance of new Kill la Kill or Gurren Lagann editions.

Buying the French editions and replacing the discs with those of the standard English Amaray editions would also be an option but far too cumbersome and far too expensive.

I can live with a Slipbox+Amaray release. But in the case of Kill la Kill, neither the Complete Series Collection is available nor the individual Amarays (Vol.1 is also sold out on AL). We don't even need to talk about the digipack version. Impossible to find all three of them anywhere.
I’m reminded of this:
Post in thread 'The Im looking for thread.'
The *Im looking for* thread.
I’m not saying there’s a set available, but possibly worth asking?

Back