Anime Limited 12 Days of Christmas 2018

Is Tokyo Ghoyl a good blind buy?
What’s the themes and such?

@HWR I think you like the series, right?
Would it be worth £31.48 shipped to Denmark for the two seasons?
I'd give a bit of a warning for including root A in the deal, it's the one that started ghoul's poor adaption of the source by making root A something completely different, it doesn't have much fanservice apart from the level of gore though
I'd probably say yea if you wanted to watch season 1 but know what your getting there. The OVAs aren't bad though

Is Tokyo Ghoyl a good blind buy?
What’s the themes and such?

@HWR I think you like the series, right?
Would it be worth £31.48 shipped to Denmark for the two seasons?
Both @D1tchd1gger and @Captaaainuniverse share my opinions but I’ll summarise my thoughts.
I adore the manga, however the anime is a decent to mediocre adaptation that changes the story quite a lot in Root A. I don’t hate these changes as much as others and these seasons are better than the bland iterations of re but they aren’t anything spectacular.

As their own thing they’re good, but as manga adaptations they’re very flawed. Studio Pierrot have reached their magnum opus of terrible adaptation with the currently airing re Season 2.

The OVAs are great though. Tokyo Ghoul derserves the Brotherhood treatment. All in all read the manga, the artwork and story is superb. Sui Ishida is a genius mangaka.

Last edited:
Both @D1tchd1gger and @Captaaainuniverse share my opinions but I’ll summarise my thoughts.
I adore the manga, however the anime is a decent to mediocre adaptation that changes the story quite a lot in Root A. I don’t hate these changes as much as others and these seasons are better than the bland iterations of re but they aren’t anything spectacular.

As their own thing they’re good, but as manga adaptations they’re very flawed. Studio Pierrot have reached their magnum opus of terrible adaptation with the currently airing re Season 2.

The OVAs are great though. Tokyo Ghoul derserves the Brotherhood treatment. All in all read the manga, the artwork and story is superb. Sui Ishida is a genius mangaka.
Dare I say it's another case of Berserk?

Dare I say it's another case of Berserk?
Asides from the CGI at least both newer seasons of Berserk followed the manga storyline fairly faithfully. And I honestly liked them both quite a bit.

Tokyo Ghoul meanwhile changes things and half arses it. I actually found that re season one, though bland and less well directed than TG Season 1 is the closest we’ve gotten to a good series because it followed the manga relatively closely asides from rushing the first episode and one or two minor changes.

I liked both seasons of Tokyo Ghoul but I've never read a manga in my life

You've got to try 1 at least! Im sure there's loads of unfinished anime you've enjoyed that havent adapted half of the manga material. Its nice to have the manga to fall back on when this happens.

Plus plenty of great manga dont get adapted at all. 👍

You've got to try 1 at least! Im sure there's loads of unfinished anime you've enjoyed that havent adapted half of the manga material. Its nice to have the manga to fall back on when this happens.

Plus plenty of great manga dont get adapted at all. 👍
It's too much hard work this reading malarkey, I get tired reading subtitles 😔

It's too much hard work this reading malarkey, I get tired reading subtitles 😔

One of the best things about watching subbed anime is it makes the transition between anime and manga seemless. You're already reading half the time! 😀

Ask Santa to get you Goodnight Punpun Vol 1 for Christmas! You'll probably enjoy it more than you think.

One of the best things about watching subbed anime is it makes the transition between anime and manga seemless. You're already reading half the time! 😀

Ask Santa to get you Goodnight Punpun Vol 1 for Christmas! You'll probably enjoy it more than you think.
Heck I’ve seen that they’re selling all of TG in a box set with a poster for a really decent price. Wish Santa would bring me that (or that I didn’t already own the individual volumes.)

Struggling to think what'll be left to put in the mystery boxes as we're only on the 2nd day and already had about 20 titles!! I can see a few pre order deals coming! ;)

Any predictions for mystery box contents?
I'm going with Gangsta as a def (mostly likely on sale tomorrow now) and if AL are listening I wouldn't hate you if you threw in SamFlam 2 as I'm highly unlikely to get around to buying it anytime soon...

Struggling to think what'll be left to put in the mystery boxes as we're only on the 2nd day and already had about 20 titles!! I can see a few pre order deals coming! ;)

I'm going with Gangsta as a def (mostly likely on sale tomorrow now) and if AL are listening I wouldn't hate you if you threw in SamFlam 2 as I'm highly unlikely to get around to buying it anytime soon...
Last year my predictions were 100% wrong but I’d hope for a few anime films such as The Case of Hana and Alice and maybe Momotaro as an interesting curio addition. Sadly there aren’t many series’ that I don’t own, asides from Grimgar but that showed up yesterday.

If they did a day of Part 2s it’d be ideal as most of my wishlist comprises of titles such as Hyouka Part 2 and Season 2s like Aldnoah Zero 2.

Last edited:

We released over 300 SKUs last year alone, so we have plenty of titles to work from! So you may struggle nowadays too as it’s harder to built a sure fire guess list...

Hard for me to have any interest in the mystery boxes when I already own 88 AL CE/UE...

Knowing my luck 1 of them will contain Gangsta, Nadeisco, Prison School, Lupin part 4 and Vampire Hunter D. 😢

Hard for me to have any interest in the mystery boxes when I already own 88 AL CE/UE...

Knowing my luck 1 of them will contain Gangsta, Nadeisco, Prison School, Lupin part 4 and Vampire Hunter D. 😢
Man if that was the case then only VHD would be a new title for me, but I have some hope.

Dtg9DBKX4AACos8.jpg

Day 3 deal is now live (2 hours ago oof)

Short But Sweet Bundle - £49.99 [sold out]

The Garden of Words - £4.99 [sold out]
Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond (CE) - £14.99
Gurren Lagann: Childhood's End & Lights in the Sky are Stars - £9.99
HAL (CE) - £4.99
Kino's Journey 2003 DVD - £9.99
Makoto Shinkai Pack: Place Promised in Our Early Days & Voices of a Distant Star - £4.99
Pigtails & Other Short Stories from Production I.G (CE) - £34.99
Space Dandy: Season 1 (CE) - £9.99 [sold out]
Space Dandy: Season 2 (CE) - £9.99
Tokyo Ghoul: Jack & Pinto OVAs (CE) - £12.99
Tokyo Marble Chocolate (CE) - £9.99 [sold out]

Last edited:
Back