Anime diseases

How about Generic Fatal Syndrome? A mysterious disease or affliction that randomly affects a usually minor (but can be major) character who usually doesn't matter much in the story line. Some times major characters (as in Clannad-After Story)
with Nagisa and her daughter Ushio both suffer from a "mysterious disease" and die.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Generic Fatal Syndrome? A mysterious disease or affliction that randomly affects a usually minor (but can be major) character who usually doesn't matter much in the story line.
Ah, the dreaded Morbus Fatalis Generalis. Too many lives are lost to it every season. Symptoms come and go and there is no known cure. During remissions patients can often live their life as normal, which makes it a great opportunity to still make some memories. Though recent studies suggest that enjoying yourself with friends accelerates the progression of the disease. There are also a suspicious amount of recorded cases where close friends arrive minutes too late at the hospital when the patient passes away. This gave rise to the distasteful nickname "McGuffin Disease". As with most rare conditions, more research is needed. Perhaps one day we will figure out why some patients are bed-ridden for years while others can go out and about for months on end.

(As for the examples you've given, you might want to put a spoiler tag around it or leave it out entirely. It does spoil quite a bit if you haven't seen the show in question)

Some times major characters (as in Clannad-After Story) with Nagisa and her daughter Ushio both suffer from a "mysterious disease" and die.
👏
And congratulations on spoiling Clannad: After Story for people who haven't seen it.

☝️😑
Maybe you could've put it in a spoiler blur like I've done in the quote above? Or maybe just not been so needlessly specific?

Last edited:
👏
And congratulations on spoiling Clannad: After Story for people who haven't seen it.

☝️😑
Maybe you could've put it in a spoiler blur like I've done in the quote above? Or maybe just not been so needlessly specific?
Ya luckily I wasn't planning on seeing it anytime soon but unwatching this thread now just incase it happens again.

Clannad is such as old series I figure most have seen it long ago-and it's very common knowledge what happens in the last 6 episodes.

Clannad is such as old series I figure most have seen it long ago-and it's very common knowledge what happens in the last 6 episodes.
"Most" does not equal everyone.

I take it you haven't read the AUKN rules, which include the policy on spoilers:

Spoilers: We have spoiler tags for a reason. Please be considerate of others and avoid ruining plot points without hiding them behind clearly marked spoiler tags. It doesn't matter whether it's an older series or a new one; spoiling a story isn't nice.

I only saw Clannad for the first time last year, and had no knowledge of the plot beforehand.

Yep, it's still on my shelf unwatched! I'll have to leave it even longer and try to forget what I read. I realised in time so I didn't read the full sentence at least.

In general I think the older the show the more likely it becomes people haven't seen it. There always seems to be a bit of a sweet spot of "older" shows that most people have seen. But this is ever changing and even then, there will always be people who haven't seen them yet and don't want to be spoiled.

I bought the Clannad DVDs only last year and I have not got around to watching them yet, so I was also hoping to remain unspoiled. Though the recent show The Day I Became A God from the same writer **** the bed so hard towards its conclusion that I’m not sure I want to watch anything more from that guy.

I bought the Clannad DVDs only last year and I have not got around to watching them yet, so I was also hoping to remain unspoiled. Though the recent show The Day I Became A God from the same writer **** the bed so hard towards its conclusion that I’m not sure I want to watch anything more from that guy.
I personally really like his earlier works (Air, Kanon and Clannad) and would definitely recommend trying them out. Honestly it's painful to see a downward trend with his more recent works Angel Beats, Charlotte and The Day I Became a God. They all could use more episodes to flesh things out, but in general feel like failed attempts at replicating former success. While Angel Beats is still pretty okay on its own, it didn't capture the same feeling for me. For me I consider them two distinct groups, despite being by the same writer. They're all intended to make you cry, but the recent works do this the cheap way, while the older works really get you emotionally invested first.

I personally really like his earlier works (Air, Kanon and Clannad) and would definitely recommend trying them out. Honestly it's painful to see a downward trend with his more recent works Angel Beats, Charlotte and The Day I Became a God. They all could use more episodes to flesh things out, but in general feel like failed attempts at replicating former success. While Angel Beats is still pretty okay on its own, it didn't capture the same feeling for me. For me I consider them two distinct groups, despite being by the same writer. They're all intended to make you cry, but the recent works do this the cheap way, while the older works really get you emotionally invested first.
Tbh Angel Beats is by far my favourite of those. And even Clannad is leagues better than Kanon and Air. Dont get me wrong they are all good but without Clannad, Kanon and Air wouldnt be as remembered I feel. I also really enjoyed Charlotte but would never have guessed it was by the same person.

The Day I became a God is the only one I havent seen.

I've had the Clannad DVDs (both series) hanging around for ages - I've got no idea what happens in the story, but I get a depressing vibe from them (for some reason, I just feel like someone is either going to get seriously ill) or just die) and I've just never felt in the right mindset to put myself through it 😅

Angel Beats is one of my all time favs though!

Chiming in in agreement on Angel Beats, I loved that show and thought it was perfect in how much comedy, drama and music it covered so well in twelve episodes. I just remember cracking up one minute and then being totally confused by wanting to bawl the next.

Clannad is an all time favourite of mine and I loved the soundtrack from that as well. Charlotte I thought had interesting concepts but just didn't feel as well developed and probably could've done with a longer run to flesh out those concepts. Have Air & Kanon but will watch when I finally buy an all region player; and I've not seen the most recent one but planning to get around to it sometime.

I have to say though that Jun Maeda actively wants to make the audience cry so I can see that being off-putting. Still, I will always have time for anything he makes on the basis of Clannad & Angel Beats.

Just wanted to clarify that it's not that I dislike Angel Beats. I did actually like it and would recommend it to others (whereas Charlotte and Day I Became a God... not so much). It's just that on the front of being tearjerkers, it seems to go the easy route. As @Neil.T pointed out there are two moments that really tug at your heartstrings (where Yui's one is IMHO the saddest). But when I think back to Angel Beats it's the comedy, followed by the action/music that I associate with it first.

For me this is different with Clannad and the others. They also have their fair share of wacky and funny moments, but that doesn't become part of their identity as much. In fact almost everything ends up contributing to the drama and tragedy in a way that watching them back almost brings me to tears (even if the scene in question isn't inherently sad). I find this quite unique which put these shows apart, with Clannad clearly at the top.

In a way it feels like stories like Angel Beats can pop up at any time, written by anyone. I'm starting to think that it wasn't solely Jun Maeda that made his older works so great, but likely a synergy with other creative minds he worked with at the time. What makes me sad is that I can't seem to find stories (anime, manga, vn or otherwise) that capture that same (now somewhat nostalgic) feeling. Any recommendations are welcome ;-)

What makes me sad is that I can't seem to find stories (anime, manga, vn or otherwise) that capture that same (now somewhat nostalgic) feeling. Any recommendations are welcome ;
Did you ever watch Little Busters? It certainly had elements that put me in mind of shows like Clannad. I really liked it at any rate

Back