Anime at the cinema

Surprisingly there's about 9 showings across the two nearest cinemas. Usually pretty rare to get anything in my area aside from Shinkai/Jump/insert popular thing here.

Funny coincidence is I only recently finished Akudama Drive, also directed by Tomohisa Taguchi. Great director.

Very familiar story but I’d love to see Tunnel To Summer Exit of Goodbyes but the screening times around me are terrible and it’s limited to this weekend alone.
I don’t blame Anime Limited for this but it’s woeful and a regular frustration for most anime releases in cinema
I literally just found out about this today whilst searching for info on something completely unrelated. Thinking about seeing it on Sunday but cinema trips are a bit of a luxury for me at the moment so I have to choose wisely when I do go.

Just saw it this evening. It feels unusual for an anime movie like this to get a Fri-Sun set of screenings (it feels like Monday or Thursdays are more common). Wonder if the trend will continue with The First Slam Dunk.

The next door neighbor girl and I are meeting up at a local theater tonight after work to see the Psycho-Pass: Providence movie. It's an early 6:10 showing, and is the dub version for her to be able to watch. Really looking forward to seeing this - Psycho Pass is my neighbor's favorite anime, and it is a Top 5 series for me.

Last edited:
Got back from the theater around 9 pm. Pshycho Pass: Providence was a longer movie than I was expecting, a full 2 hours. Plot twists and philosophical pinings - that's our Psycho-Pass for you! We even had a totally private showing, all to ourselves - we were the only two people in the theater. But then, it was a Tuesday evening at 6:00 pm, so I was pretty much expecting that.

Psycho-Pass is showing in my area but once again is at an awkward time unfortunately so will be giving it a skip it seems. I'm yet to actually see any of Psycho-Pass to be fair so I'd have a lot to catch up on in the next week or so.

The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes will also be showing at my local arts centre near the end of August and out of the two showings the only decently timed one is on a work day.

I'm having no luck lately with anime movies at the cinema 😅 not the end of the world but a shame so wanted to rant a little.

Tickets for The First Slam Dunk are live. I’ve booked IMAX on Tuesday 29th August for now, but will probably book a Dolby Cinema screening for Wednesday 30th closer to the time.

Neither Psycho-pass Providence nor Slam Dunk are listed at any Aberdeen cinemas. Unless they get screenings added at the last minute, I guess I won’t get to see either of these :(

Psycho-Pass is showing in my area but once again is at an awkward time unfortunately so will be giving it a skip it seems. I'm yet to actually see any of Psycho-Pass to be fair so I'd have a lot to catch up on in the next week or so.
You and I are on the same page regarding Psycho-Pass. The screenings are not at a good time for me too, and I've also yet to see Psycho-Pass. Another factor for me is that I have early starts at work the morning after both screenings.

The First Slam Dunk is now listed at my local Odeon, but at awkward times also. I don't know what my August shifts are yet, and I'll just keep an eye out for possible screenings at the arts centre if I have to.

The only local showing of Psycho-Pass just happens to be when I'm staying up at my mum's. No showings of The First Slam Dunk near me. Vue in town has The First Slam Dunk on at the end of August.

Last edited:
So I understand Psycho-Pass: Providence is actually a Prequel to Season 3, so yeah, you probably want to watch at least Season 1 and Psycho-Pass: The Movie first, as Providence actually builds directly off of The Movie with Shinya Kogami's storyline.

Last edited:
You and I are on the same page regarding Psycho-Pass. The screenings are not at a good time for me too, and I've also yet to see Psycho-Pass. Another factor for me is that I have early starts at work the morning after both screenings.

The First Slam Dunk is now listed at my local Odeon, but at awkward times also. I don't know what my August shifts are yet, and I'll just keep an eye out for possible screenings at the arts centre if I have to.

Ah, just looked at The First Slam Dunk myself, will be missing that as well, evenings times are just straight up a no go. A shame :(

Neither Psycho-pass Providence nor Slam Dunk are listed at any Aberdeen cinemas. Unless they get screenings added at the last minute, I guess I won’t get to see either of these :(
It seems cineworld has deemed us unworthy of anime 😔😔😔

I have noticed that this shows up on the Slam Dunk film website, I wonder if this means they are just coming soon. Doesn't seem to appear for any other Cineworld.. will just have to wait and see..
1690323654301.png

It is showing at the Edinburgh Film Festival but the times aren't too convenient, either too early or too late.

I'm keeping my hopes that First Slam Dunk will get more screenings as most of the tickets for the nearest screening are already sold out. Doing impressive numbers for a series that never really gets mentioned in discussions much.

Looks like Birmingham is going to have an anime festival later this year - screenings at the Mac for some things, Botanical Gardens for Totoro... haven't

For those who live in the Netherlands (or plan to visit it): In the 'Melkweg' in Amsterdam they'll be showing Studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday on the 18th of November.

Only Yesterday (1991) | Melkweg Amsterdam

This is my favourite anime of all time and due to how niche it is, I never imagined it would ever be shown anywhere. Back in 2010 my best friend lent me some of his anime movie dvds (most of them were Studio Ghibli movies). Back then this movie blew me away and made me realise there is more than just (battle)shonen, good vs evil, etc.

Last edited:
For those who live in the Netherlands (or plan to visit it): In the 'Melkweg' in Amsterdam they'll be showing Studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday on the 18th of November.

Only Yesterday (1991) | Melkweg Amsterdam

This is my favourite anime of all time and due to how niche it is, I never imagined it would ever be shown anywhere. Back in 2010 my best friend lent me some of his anime movie dvds (most of them were Studio Ghibli movies). Back then this movie blew me away and made me realise there is more than just (battle)shonen, good vs evil, etc.
I second that, I remember watching it on a very late night showing in channel 4 in UK (good old channel 4 usually have some late night gold movie showings) and absolutely loving it.

Back