Anime at the cinema

It's playing on the 15-16 Jan over here in the States. My neighbors and I will be going to see it, probably on the 15th. Sub and dub showings both nights, and at a theater only 5 miles away from me.

second chance I suppose
That's a great line-up there. 👍
My local independent cinema is giving me chances to see Promare, Weathering With You and likely Ride Your Wave (my favourite in those listings) a second time.

I'd love a chance to see Children of the Sea again; the art in that is mesmerising. 🤔
(The Aberdeen screening is unfortunately 100% no-go for me, because I've already bought my ticket for Weathering for that very day.)

I wonder if they have ever thought about doing a tour around the country, 2-3 days showing the films that were at the festival.
I'd love that. I think that thing was tried back in 2010 with a touring event called We Love Anime. It was never repeated, though — probably because it was just too much to organise with all the different cinemas involved. But then, cinema screenings of anime were a much rarer occurrence back then. Anime Limited have really changed the landscape now.

On this subject, actually, forgive me for pestering if you read this, @Hanners, but I've often wondered whether there could be any future in Dundee's independent DCA cinema becoming an official Scotland Loves Anime venue, too.

Anime screenings at that cinema always do really well, sometimes even selling so many advance tickets that they have to upgrade it to the bigger of the two screens. I saw the Konosuba movie there just last weekend, and it was all but completely sold out. There was an even bigger crowd (in the larger cinema #1) for Promare, and there's multiple showings of Weathering With You coming up, along with the annual visit from the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.

At one of those previous events, I overheard a DCA staff member remark that anime always does good business there, so I couldn't help but wonder whether it could ever become one of SLA's official venues. 🙂

I'd love that. I think that thing was tried back in 2010 with a touring event called We Love Anime. It was never repeated, though — probably because it was just too much to organise with all the different cinemas involved. But then, cinema screenings of anime were a much rarer occurrence back then. Anime Limited have really changed the landscape now.

Leading both Anime Ltd and Scotland Loves Anime has left me in a good position to shed some light on that.

We Love Anime was definitely a product of it's time in the sense there was no anime on the big screen out of Ghibli then and actually that was the issue - the challenge was being able to get all the cinemas on the same date, with the same films. It's a big ask of the cinemas and last time it ran with films spread out in some venues, reduced line-ups in some etc. It made it just very difficult to advertise.

That said - definitely looking at formats that would make sense for the future and touring is one that keeps coming up so you never know...

On this subject, actually, forgive me for pestering if you read this, @Hanners, but I've often wondered whether there could be any future in Dundee's independent DCA cinema becoming an official Scotland Loves Anime venue, too.

Anime screenings at that cinema always do really well, sometimes even selling so many advance tickets that they have to upgrade it to the bigger of the two screens. I saw the Konosuba movie there just last weekend, and it was all but completely sold out. There was an even bigger crowd (in the larger cinema #1) for Promare, and there's multiple showings of Weathering With You coming up, along with the annual visit from the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.

At one of those previous events, I overheard a DCA staff member remark that anime always does good business there, so I couldn't help but wonder whether it could ever become one of SLA's official venues. 🙂

We'd really love to do it - the only hiccup is DCA has an event aimed at kids & teens at almost the same time called Discovery Film Festival so historically we've been unable to line anything up as that eats a lot of their free slots up. We try our best to slide an anime film in every year at least and they're a keen venue for main theatrical so you never know! We're good friends with the DCA so if there's any way to do it we definitely will.

AP

I think my biggest problem watching anime movies in a theater is the price. I want to go see Weathering With You tomorrow but it'll cost me $14.45-don't know what that is in pounds but jeez!!

The cinema nearest to me has dropped its prices recently to compete with others, but a few months ago it would've been £14.75 which is a bit steep :confused:
$14.45 works out at £11 and my showing of Weathering With You cost £9 so there's probably not much difference in it over here these days.

Ride Your Wave is coming to cinema next month as part of some Japanese season I can't recall the name of right now :( I know HOME here in Manchester won't be having every film that London will be showing but I hope they bring Ride Your Wave and the live action Kakegurui film here.

Booked dub of Weathering With You on Sunday :)

I really hope SLA happens this year. Dates are messed for so many cons and stuff that I have zero clue if Edinburgh would line up weekend 16th or 23rd October :(

Ride Your Wave is coming to cinema next month as part of some Japanese season I can't recall the name of right now :( I know HOME here in Manchester won't be having every film that London will be showing but I hope they bring Ride Your Wave and the live action Kakegurui film here.

Booked dub of Weathering With You on Sunday :)

I really hope SLA happens this year. Dates are messed for so many cons and stuff that I have zero clue if Edinburgh would line up weekend 16th or 23rd October :(
The Japan Foundation Programme is the name you're thinking of. I plan to watch it at Sheffield's Showroom cinema in February (Showroom also has the Kakegurui film).

The Bristol watershed is actually showing the anime film this year as last year they did not show Penguin Highway. Only downside is it’s gonna be at 2pm on a Sunday so deffo feels like going for a younger audience.

Back