UK Anime Distributor Animatsu Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few people have been asking, so for sake of clarity. The Blu-ray of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water will be released in a gorgeous rigid box.

I've asked about the logos being on the box, rather than an O-Card, but no response yet.

Elaniel said:
Nadia is up at Amazon. RRP is £69.99. That's higher than I thought it would be. I thought £49.99 or £54.99 considering how long the US release has been out.

I was waiting for this. I'd wondered how Animatsu's pricing would play out.

Looks like another step towards higher prices being the norm. Yay. Then again, isn't this a pretty long show?

EDIT: Just checked. 39 episodes. And the RRP is for blu ray. I'll be interested to see if there's a lower priced DVD collection.

I pre-ordered the DVD collection, which is showing as £49.99 in my orders, but when I click on the actual item it says it can't be found....

Yeah - I'd done a search for that as well earlier but came up with nothing. At least for region 2.

Incidentally - it just occurred to me that there's a movie as well. A direct sequel to the series, no less. I wonder what the likelihood of that appearing at some point might be?

The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Animatsu ask about aniplex pricing in the UK (4 eps of Yuki Yuna, unsubbed £58) and get told to take a short jump off a long pier

To establish context here, Yuki Yuna was one of the shows that didn't get a UK Stream the season it aired (Which might be last season, can't mind) so it'd be a blind buy at that and Jerome made it sort of clear that Pony Canyon were in no mood to play reasonable (ie: VODs at not stupid prices) like Aniplex are.

RE the Yuki talk

I'm sorry for the people who have bad internet but VOD is the way things are going like it or lump it and Physical is going to become the Hardback of anime distro.

How each company reacts (And their prices) to this shift in the paradigm is how we will determine the future; If they stick to a physical market that is punishing the release (and purchase) of the target resolution (BR) and is going the collector's route and ignores VOD completely or asks for obscene prices for it (£55 for all of SAO s1 is not cool, Google, Amazon has it at £50 but that is almost assuredly locked to the english version which is not ideal and not good for a £5 discount) then they will sink into the tar pit of obscurity and become the curio of a NEO back page article in five years time

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ConanThe3rd said:
Animatsu ask about aniplex pricing in the UK (4 eps of Yuki Yuna, unsubbed £58) and get told to take a short jump off a long pier

To establish context here, Yuki Yuna was one of the shows that didn't get a UK Stream the season it aired (Which might be last season, can't mind) so it'd be a blind buy at that and Jerome made it sort of clear that Pony Canyon were in no mood to play reasonable (ie: VODs at not stupid prices) like Aniplex are.

I'm pretty sure it was on UK Crunchyroll as it aired - unless I'm mistaken?

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Lutga said:
ConanThe3rd said:

I'm pretty sure it was on UK Crunchyroll as it aired - unless I'm mistaken?
I Might have not been paying attention. The comment about it being RL'd was in the twitter feed so I might have had bum info there.

It definitely streamed on Crunchyroll as normal as it aired (Yuki Yuna). I watched episode 1 and didn't like it. PonyCan's titles have all been UK-accessible, blessedly.

R

ConanThe3rd said:
I'm sorry for the people who have bad internet but VOD is the way things are going like it or lump it and Physical is going to become the Hardback of anime distro.

Considering the healthy number of hardback books some of my contacts in publishing are putting out, I'll take that as a positive!

If it's a case of VOD or nothing, though, it's nothing for me. Similar if it's a case of premium price physical release or nothing.

How people are willing to accept a model where you pay for access to media that you don't then physically own is beyond me. People are just now cottoning on to why this isn't such a great idea with things like Comixology.

Personally, if I can't own the media I'm buying so that I can dig it out and get more enjoyment from it later, I'm not interested in it. So the 'lump it' part of the equation isn't actully as dire as it may sound. My money and attention will simply go elsewhere.

Just wanting to play devil's advocate here - and appreciate everyone is different - but I think a lot of cases like this are very 'once you pop, you just can't stop'.

I used to be the biggest physical advocate ever - I bought hundreds of CDs every year, but once I switched to streaming, I wondered why I never made the move earlier. I realised how much time and money I was saving - and what I had once prioritised (ownership) now seemed like a hassle. Essentially, I'm trading the value of physical ownership for convenience (saving on shelf space and having instant access without having to download anything/import to itunes)

A few years later, I then made the same transition to eBooks/Kindle, for much the same reason - despite originally being all about owning and loving the feel of a physical book.

I'm not saying 'oh, if you've never tried it, you'll never understand' - but I think the shift we're seeing across so many forms of media is one that it's very easy to be resistant to in the here and now, but once you start to make the shift, your whole mindset shifts. Many of the problems the digital medium currently faces (eg. areas with poor internet access + what happens if a company goes out of business) will be solved as the market consolidates and poorer companies fold. This digital medium isn't just sitting still - it's still in a process of evolution.

I still buy loads of anime physically, because I have a collector's mindset and hate the idea of not being able to have something that then goes OOP. But if anime did go streaming-only - I'd probably be annoyed for a little while, but I don't think I'd shed that many tears in the long term. I know my wallet certainly wouldn't.

The major problem seems to me that they are too many platforms when it comes to buying digital copies and not everything is on every one of them. Also I'm not 100% sure but convinced someone has said that even if you buy from say the PSN Store or iTunes, you still don't actually own it. If this means that you could be able to view something one day and then it could suddenly disappear what's the point in buying it at all.

Apologies if I've misunderstood but if I am correct I don't see physical releases going anywhere anytime soon. I'd personally be fine with it going download only but only if I can own it and it's guaranteed to stay there. Although that still doesn't solve the issue of where I buy it from.

Another thing on VOD, Tokyo Ghoul is currently on Netflix as the version that aired on TV in Japan, that's something they'd have to sort before I commit to watching it streaming. Tbh I'd still be waiting for a dub version anyway but thought it was worth mentioning.

Nadia's price has dropped on Amazon

Blu-Ray version iTo £50.50
DVD version is saying currently unavailable though

Taken from Facebook

What will your subtitles be like? It looks like Sentai's are yellow and too big - if you could do a better job that would be grand

Animatsu Entertainment: We are releasing the Sentai version.

Emo185 said:
britguy said:
Animatsu have released their trailer for Nadia, show looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRtFmdpAzBg

Bah; just the opening song in textless form -_-
One thing that does irk me is when companies just put out opening themes as "trailers". Both anime and game companies do this and it doesn't help when I want to use trailers in articles to help show off the title (which is admittedly more important with games than anime).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back