UK Anime Distributor Animatsu Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
Since they issued a press release today announcing their existence to the world, their mission statement, and their first licences, I feel it's time for the discussion thread to open.

Copying from my post in the News thread

First licences include Live Action Halo Nightfall, out on DVD, BD and Digital March 16th

First three anime licences (of 8 ) Blade And Soul, Comic Artist and His Assistants and Coffin Princess, 2 more to be announced on 22nd of January in MyM and Neo.

Interesting working relationship with Manga Entertainment. Animatsu will do Marketing and Brand Management for both companies, while Manga will handle sales and distribution for both!

So Animatsu is basically an independent spin-off from Manga.

Effectively a separation of the company is probably the best way to describe it. Be interesting how the UK can handle 4 companies now.

Also these are mostly Sentai/Hanabee licenses, which seem to usually go to MVM. So fascinating how this will all work out.

I will pick up their 3 already announced licenses if they are Blu-Ray as I want to support them.

Very excited about them releasing Chaika and the Coffin Princess, it's a brilliant show. The Sentai link up sounds interesting too - hopefully this means a lot of their stuff making its way over the UK.

The Manga relationship sounds like the best of both worlds too - feels a bit like the 'label services' model that's becoming quite common in the music industry where a company will basically act more as a general assistant/organiser to help get stuff off the ground and into the hands of the fans.

Well, announcing Chaika certainly made me sit up and take notice. If that gets a BD release I'll be all over it. May get The Comic Artist etc too.

Lutga said:
The Sentai link up sounds interesting too - hopefully this means a lot of their stuff making its way over the UK.
We were getting some of their stuff through MVM anyway, but it makes sense as a starting point - it got to be a whole lot easier dealing with people in America , especially when your company is an unknown quantity but you have personal contacts, and Sentai is really the only target (Manga has FUNimation sewn up, Viz is part of ShoPro and only license for the US anyway, and Nozomi titles are generally older or niche shows that would be harder to market)

Interesting stuff!

The news of a tie-up with Sentai reallly is quite exciting. I think Sentai have been bagging a lot of decent shows over the last coupel of years.

It's tempting to speculate wildly whenever a new distribution outlet starts up. But for now, all I'm really interested in is seeing how they perfoorm in the tiny UK / European arm of the industry. Will they foster a spirit of competition? Will they add extra diversity to the titles released? And will they release the Golgo 13 series?

EVERYTHING'S TO PLAY FOR AS WE ENTER THE FINAL ROUND OF --

Oh. Uh... sorry. I don't know what came over me at the end, there.

Come at me Chaika

I'll put money down on Captain Earth being one of them, that's Sentai right? Jermone did seem very interested in the title.

Having a look at their twitter page. Noticed they said this:
Too much pressure. I'm waiting see who has the license for Australia. We may share authoring with them instead of doing it in UK. And we will wait for the dub of course. I'm pretty sure there will be one. JM
Sounds like Animatsu might be taking the MVM route.

The dub part is referring to Akame ga Kill!

I noticed on the Manga UK facebook page they have their banner set to 'Halo: Nightfall' and most of their posts this year have been Animatsu related. This might sound silly but shouldn't they be promoting their own releases? With Fairy Tail, Yu Gi Oh, Ben To and Good Luck Girl out soon with no mention on the page. (Ben-To & Good Luck Girl are fun series that deserve to do well so promote them dammit)

Obviously i'm going to give Animatsu a fair chance but it's starting to seem more and more like they're a side company of Manga rather then a new company altogether :p

It'll be interesting to see how Naruto volume 20 sells as I get the sense that even the big Shonen titles aren't doing the numbers they used to.

Lutga said:
It'll be interesting to see how Naruto volume 20 sells as I get the sense that even the big Shonen titles aren't doing the numbers they used to.
I think the same can be said for bleach...

UKAN did an interview with Animatsu, here's the highlight for me:

UK Anime: Can you go into any more detail as to exactly what services Manga Entertainment will undertake for Animatsu? Will they be authoring your releases for example, or simply handling sales and distribution of finished stock?

Andrew Hewson: Customers will discover that we will be using multiple solutions for producing DVD and Blu-ray for the UK. For example, Gatchaman Crowds is a straight reproduction of Hanabee’s Australian release. If we can’t source a PAL DVD replication master from overseas then we will either author to PAL ourselves or simply release the NTSC version for DVD. We will be working with Siren Visual, Hanabee and Madman in Australia as well as with Sentai and FUNimation in the US.

Jerome Mazandarani: You have to understand that when Manga has authored its own discs in the UK it has worked with some of the leading British authoring houses. It’s my understanding that some of their releases have displeased certain fans because of choices made on Manga’s behalf regarding chapter selection points and subtitling. All of Manga’s releases have passed technical QC, but it’s the “fanboy QC” that is not being addressed. Sadly none of the Soho-based authoring houses are manned by anime enthusiasts or anime experts. That is a weakness on our side, which we have addressed and will action. Wherever possible and in order to keep costs down we will be looking to reproduce existing Blu-ray and DVD replication masters. This is what MVM and Anime Limited have been doing for a long time.

Those fanboys and their obsession with unreasonable standards like subtitles which appear alongside the dialogue and video quality which isn't an embarrassment next to cheaper foreign versions of the same title, eh? I'm not happy with the way that was answered but at least they are looking at turning things around. Sort of shocked that these technical QC passes don't catch errors which would have people who buy mainstream releases up in arms too; it's not as though Manga UK haven't had major problems with subtitle sync going back for years now and it catastrophically destroys the experience for fans who want to watch with the original audio (not to mention fans with poor hearing).

It's strange that they didn't commit either way to NTSC DVD or PAL conversions in-house. I suppose best case this means they'll do PAL conversions if they have the materials to make them good (though I still hate the speedup issues) but I continue to have strong reservations, especially as Jerome's attitude is still as disrespectful as ever.

The comments about Fairy Tail and the like being unprofitable on BD answered some questions on the Manga UK side too. It might be worth merging the two threads one day since it's obvious they're functioning as a single company for all intents and purposes (both the header art and top news story on Manga UK's Facebook are currently Animatsu projects).

Disappointed that one of the questions wasn't about how their name was chosen, unless it's obvious to everyone other than me!

R

Although I'm willing to be proved wrong, nothing in that interview has convinced me that this is a company I'll be buying from...oh well, same old same old.

Rui said:
Those fanboys and their obsession with unreasonable standards like subtitles which appear alongside the dialogue and video quality which isn't an embarrassment next to cheaper foreign versions of the same title, eh? I'm not happy with the way that was answered but at least they are looking at turning things around. Sort of shocked that these technical QC passes don't catch errors which would have people who buy mainstream releases up in arms too; it's not as though Manga UK haven't had major problems with subtitle sync going back for years now and it catastrophically destroys the experience for fans who want to watch with the original audio (not to mention fans with poor hearing).

It's strange that they didn't commit either way to NTSC DVD or PAL conversions in-house. I suppose best case this means they'll do PAL conversions if they have the materials to make them good (though I still hate the speedup issues) but I continue to have strong reservations, especially as Jerome's attitude is still as disrespectful as ever.

The comments about Fairy Tail and the like being unprofitable on BD answered some questions on the Manga UK side too. It might be worth merging the two threads one day since it's obvious they're functioning as a single company for all intents and purposes (both the header art and top news story on Manga UK's Facebook are currently Animatsu projects).

Disappointed that one of the questions wasn't about how their name was chosen, unless it's obvious to everyone other than me!

R

The interview itself is nice to see as the folks at Animatsu are cool and have some pretty awesome things on the burner so I'm really looking forward to what they do next really there!

One point worth bringing up (and I did on UK-Anime.net too) is that the reply is a bit factually off as far as Anime Ltd's authoring is concerned. So to clarify - we're the odd ones out in the UK anime scene and in fact do our own authoring & work with studios directly instead of replicating the US/AUS DVD/BDs.

Having weighed the costs by and large it works out the same (or more) to buy someone else's version usually. Faced with that and sometimes delays in material receipt vs other English-speaking street dates we'd rather do our own masters when we can and learn/grow from the experience - the results are positive for a few reasons:

1. We control our deadlines for better or worse. The result is even if we play slip-slide on dates more than ideal, we consistently do release closer to the US/Australian release dates than anyone else. We've even gone out before both more than once (Space Dandy & Giovanni's Island spring to mind immediately).

2. Means we get to increase the pool of authoring houses across the world skilled in anime - including some really talented solo-acts that deserve the work!

We believe that while it creates a bumpier start for our first two to three years, it means ultimately we grow from the experience. This includes QC as a technical QC means just making sure it all plays and it should mean checking the subs all play (not always though).

The only solution we've found to this is to do an in-house QC layer from start to end on the products. Jeremy & Kerry spearhead this processes nowadays and while not necessarily as in-depth as battery test (which requires tens of thousands of discs in a run and costs a lot more to do) - it severely reduces the risks long term. Benefits also include when something goes wrong we can at least talk about why it happened or investigate the problem a lot quicker - it's not a guarantee of perfection but we strive to deliver the best possible product from it long-term.

Hope this helps (passing note, I don't normally comment but this did relate to us and was an honest mix-up I think from the interview!)

Andrew

Since it was brought up in the interview, anyone have any idea how Hanabee's release of Gatchaman Crowds stacks up to Sentai's? Or are they identical?

anime_andrew said:
Hope this helps (passing note, I don't normally comment but this did relate to us and was an honest mix-up I think from the interview!)

Thanks for setting the record straight! As always it's really interesting to see things from another perspective 'behind the scenes'; it's ghastly that a 'technical QC' doesn't catch major subtitling glitches. I do wonder if the time might come where the other UK distributors could look at saving money by doing things in house, though it will definitely involve a learning curve. Or you could start a side business preparing materials for the others (because I'm sure you guys aren't busy enough already) :D

R

Rui said:
anime_andrew said:

Thanks for setting the record straight! As always it's really interesting to see things from another perspective 'behind the scenes'; it's ghastly that a 'technical QC' doesn't catch major subtitling glitches. I do wonder if the time might come where the other UK distributors could look at saving money by doing things in house, though it will definitely involve a learning curve. Or you could start a side business preparing materials for the others (because I'm sure you guys aren't busy enough already) :D

R

The trouble is too - you pay for a QC as a part of authoring and anyone on our side of the fence (aka not the tech side) assume that is going to cover things like subtitle de-sync all the way through etc. It's totally legit and we got unlucky on our first release so just set rules up from there. Manga has had a very good run of no real tech issues so when it crops up it can take a bit to fix especially when your output is high per month.

Mix that all in with teams being set up separately and you get why it may take a while to escalate to being fixed there. Definitely feel the pain on that one anyway from the days I worked in bigger companies.

It's true though that there's a lot of business sense to buying in assets too - it can be a nightmarish experience authoring at the best of times so even if it costs the same as DIY - so long as it's not much more then it does de-risk things to an extent. I just like keeping in control of the whole process to an extent for better or worse and after DRR I got a bit twitchy for on outsourcing.

TL;DR - No one right answer really - we just do things differently vs other UK companies :).

AP

It could just be me, but Animatsu's response seems to show comtempt for it's audience. This sort of thing wouldn't fly on a live action series or big budget movie so what akes the authoring house think it's ok with anime. Labeling those that complain as "QC Fanboys" seems a bit disrespetful as these people are often complaining because they genuinely want Manga to improve so they can continue to buy their releases. Others would just strug their shoulders and import.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back