4K Blu Ray collection & Upcoming Releases discussion thread

Excellent. Had looked at a few vids but have seen a lot of contradictory info online, oh well. That's the internet for you I guess, at the end of the day it's all opinion. Thanks HWR: I will check that out now as I'm setting everything up.

No worries @Scrambled Valkyrie, the CX has a lot of settings to work with and I found Vincent’s videos to be very handy in figuring how to navigate them. There’s even a recent video discussing the latest firmware update which I still need to watch.

I'll need to check what I have on my HDR settings, but my SDR settings for Blu-Ray are isf Dark Room / Contrast 90 / Brightness 50 / Sharpness 0 / Colour 60 / Tint 0 / Dynamic Contrast Off / Super Resolution Off / Colour Gamut Auto / Gamma 2.2 / White Balance Warm1. With

dbaa8edb-0fd5-43fe-a7c5-759ab2142a71.jpg

June 28th

Thanks @Yami and @HWR. It's insane the stuff you can do with this thing. I must say I'm very impressed. Watched Guardians of the galaxy Vol 2 in Dolby vision with Dolby Atmos on Disney plus last night and the colours were amazing. I saw it at the cinema and I'm not even sure it looked that good then!

Have stuck a few discs in for a quick look like Gremlins 4K which looked good and had a look at some standard Blu rays and DVDs. The upscaling between the 4K player i have and the TV seems pretty good as old DVDs where you could see the pixels and a bit of artifacing look noticably clearer now. I played some Yakuza: Like a dragon last night which looked good although that's not HDR. Will have to scour my game collection for a good example of HDR as looking at the list I've got quite a few which have sat unplayed.

Picked up Alita 4K yesterday as well. Hadn't gotten round to seeing it yet so I thought my first view might as well be in the best quality. I love the manga so I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.

Pre-ordered the Godzilla standard edition. Didn't go for the Cine one in the end.

Kind of bummed that Spaceballs doesn't seem to be coming out over here. Even more bummed that no one seems to care enough to even mention it as far as I've been able to see though.

Last edited:
Arrow have a nice variant on pre-order for their upcoming UHD release of Dario Argento’s The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. It’s apparently around 40% sold out already.

What's everyone's next 4K purchase? I'm thinking of picking up Arrow's Battle Royale and Donnie Darko discs when they're released. Besides that I might replace a few classics that i only got round to owning on DVD. Time to go down what I like to call the "disc edition research manhole".

47601_1_BABADOOK_3D_BD_SLIPCASE_PACK_V2_2_1024x1024@2x.png

The Babadook Limited Edition 4K / Blu-ray: Pre-Order Available 21st June 2021

Director: Jennifer Kent

Starring: Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman and Hayley McElhinney

Widowed mother Amelia is struggling following the violent death of her husband and her son Samuel’s fears that a monster is coming for them. When a storybook featuring the sinister Mister Babadook appears in their home, Samuel is convinced he is the monstrous creature and Amelia slowly begins to sense a very real ominous presence.

Special Features

Audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
This is my House: a new interview with Actor Essie Davis
The Sister: a new interview with Actor Hayley McElhinney
Don't Let It In: a new interview with Producer Kristina Ceyton
Conjuring Nightmares: a new interview Producer Kristian Moliere
Shaping Darkness: a new interview with Editor Simon Njoo
If It's in a Name or in a Look: a new interview with Production Designer Alex Holmes
The Bookmaker: a new interview with the book designer Alexander Juhasz
Ba-Ba-Ba...Dook!: a new interview with Composer Jed Kurzel
Monster: Jennifer Kent's original short film
They Call Him Mister Babadook: The Making Of
There's No Place Like Home: Creating The House
Special Effects: Stabbing Scene
The Stunts
Illustrating Evil: Creating the Book
English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired
Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Peter Diamond
150 page hardback book with new essays by Anna Bogutskaya, Daniel Bird, Kat Ellinger, Rich Johnson, Jon Towlson and Laura Venning, archive Jennifer Kent interview, stills, behind-the-scenes photos and original illustration concepts for the book
6 collectors' art cards
Catalogue number: 2NDBR4133

Certificate: 15

Region: 4K UHD Region Free / Blu-ray Region B

HWR have you received the Battle Royale and Donnie Darko discs? How are they?

I think I have just about every different disc of BR released in the UK except the repackaged ones, a few different editions of Donnie Darko as well from the original US DVD release to Arrow's recent steelbook.

@Vincentdante Wow. The difference between those is night and day. Is the top one the standard Blu ray?

I haven’t checked out the discs yet but have seen on BluRay.com reports that for Donnie Darko the Theatrical Cut disc reportedly has issues with stuttering.

I thought there might be an acknowledgment from Arrow, they were good about replacing discs for the recent Demons UHD (mine arrived today.)

Last edited:
Arrow's 4K Ultra HD titles for the month of July 2021 have been revealed (early by Amazon as per usual).

For standard editions we have Demons and Demons 2, both released separately but also will be a combo pack.

For the brand new surprises we have Dario Argento's The Cat o' Nine Tails (Il gatto a nove code) and Quentin Tarantino's True Romance.

Arrow will reveal more information when the official listings go live at 3pm on their store.

Back