4K Blu Ray collection & Upcoming Releases discussion thread

Thanks for the reply!

- Re: 4KTVs with features like LG's Dynamic Tone Mapping

My house's 4KTV is a Samsung branded one. It has a HDR+ Mode and that's about it to be honest.
So yea that sounds like fake HDR for SDR content. It's probably fine to ignore the HDR "Optimizer". The Dynamic Tone Mapping feature is useful for me, But the OLED i have doesn't have that great of peak brightness as LCD screens and without the feature, the picture can appear dark. That may not be the same for the Samsung screen you have. Seems like marginal gains to me.

You know what, I'll probably be the only person to ever say this but I really hope the first Silent Hill movie get's a good UHD blu-ray release one day. Video Game movie adaptations are always notrorious but that film is genuinely incredible and is the exception to that rule.

That's my hot take for today

You know what, I'll probably be the only person to ever say this but I really hope the first Silent Hill movie get's a good UHD blu-ray release one day. Video Game movie adaptations are always notrorious but that film is genuinely incredible and is the exception to that rule.

That's my hot take for today
I watched Chris Stuckman's review for the film and he said it's underrated in a way.

On another note, since my Mum wanted Flash Gordon for Christmas I acquired the 4K Ultra HD version so that once we eventually get the player (as we have the TVs), it's ready to be played.

Looking forward to checking out the new Arrow UHD release of King of New York. Crash has been delayed to December but had its list of special features updated recently I believe.

I don't know if this is known but I will post it anyway. So Gremlins seems to be getting a 4k CE which is interesting since it already has a 4k UHD release. It still comes with a regular blu-ray version which is great news for me.

gremlins.jpg

It seems like bigger distributors especially Warner Bros are starting to get in big on the 'collector's edition' format of releasing things.

It makes sense and its what AL have been doing for years. Physical media is a dying breed so you've got to give a reason to actually purchase a product over digital.
One of the reasons I think 88 films have done so well. Offering something more than just the film!

It seems like bigger distributors especially Warner Bros are starting to get in big on the 'collector's edition' format of releasing things.

It makes sense and its what AL have been doing for years. Physical media is a dying breed so you've got to give a reason to actually purchase a product over digital.
One of the reasons I think 88 films have done so well. Offering something more than just the film!

I kind of like this it's certainly nice to have CE's of your faveorite films. I got the Scarface 4k Collectors edition which was great. I put the statue ontop of my shelves

shelves.jpg

The problem becomes when the CE price is above what a single film should really be worth in my mind. Like I love Dawn of the Dead but it was way too pricey for what I was comfortable to pay. At least the LOTR trilogy set is three films.

I kind of like this it's certainly nice to have CE's of your faveorite films. I got the Scarface 4k Collectors edition which was great. I put the statue ontop of my shelves

The problem becomes when the CE price is above what a single film should really be worth in my mind. Like I love Dawn of the Dead but it was way too pricey for what I was comfortable to pay. At least the LOTR trilogy set is three films.
100% agree. Imo as much as I like Dawn of the Dead that release kind of jumped the shark.

Ironically one of the best examples of adapting to survive in this digital age is HMV and all the special editions they're doing with their Cine Editions, First Editions, Premium Collection and even the Japanese art steelbooks they've just started (The Great Wall edition is better than the actual film!)

20201114_141319.jpg

100% agree. Imo as much as I like Dawn of the Dead that release kind of jumped the shark.

Ironically one of the best examples of adapting to survive in this digital age is HMV and all the special editions they're doing with their Cine Editions, First Editions, Premium Collection and even the Japanese art steelbooks they've just started (The Great Wall edition is better than the actual film!)

Oh man I got to start looking at HMV as first port of call over Amazon

Still waiting on the Dawn of the Dead 4K set as I ordered from HMV. I wonder on what Second Sight will do going forward with 4K, as this set really did have a ton of work put into it (It's price is off putting to be sure, but I get the many months of work and cost of a small company is a major factor for that price and is far better than, say, most Aniplex releases!) and whether that incentivises further 4K releases as Dog Soldiers is upcoming for them that has a not great 4K release in Germany (Though, way better than anything that has come before) but has a 4K master out there.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I thought Tenet was trash.
Visually it looks really good but I'd bet most of that is down to the DP. The story is so convoluted purely for the sake of Nolan 'trying' to show off how intelligent he is but then randomly turns into Call of Duty for the last 40mins with hundreds of soldiers quite literally shooting at nothing 🤦‍♂️
I'm not saying Nolan is a bad director he just needs to go back to smaller budget films and only direct films written by someone else. He might have a good idea for a film but let someone else write it!
I'm pretty sure he only wrote Tenet as a narrative way to get around the huge amount of plot holes in all his films, just say its some timey s#it that explains everything...

Rant over. Bring on the hate 🤣

tl;dr - Dark Knight Rises is the worst Batman film ever made and yes that includes the Schumacher ones!

Tenet being bad is something I can totally agree with. It is a complilation of all of Nolan's worst traits, without having an interesting idea to fall back on. I do wonder if the reviews will have been as glowing if it was released as planned in a world sans COVID lockdown. Though, I'm in the minority who thinks that The Dark Knight Rises is actually pretty good. It is ideologically conflicted, but I think it transplants a lot of the main concerns of the 'war on terror' and the economic inequalities that were apparent post-2008 to the superhero genre more effectively than any other film that has tried likewise.

It's an exciting development, but it's unfortunate that the concept of a 'collector's edition' now seems to be oriented around packaging and tat while my ideal is what the best of the boutique labels (Indicator/Arrow/Criterion etc.) have done for years - contextual extras, booklets etc. - with the packaging being a secondary concern. I've yet to see any of these studio / HMV collector's editions have anything addtional of worth - any booklet is usually filled with images and there's usually an assortment of postcards that are just a waste of tree.

Still waiting on the Dawn of the Dead 4K set as I ordered from HMV. I wonder on what Second Sight will do going forward with 4K, as this set really did have a ton of work put into it (It's price is off putting to be sure, but I get the many months of work and cost of a small company is a major factor for that price and is far better than, say, most Aniplex releases!) and whether that incentivises further 4K releases as Dog Soldiers is upcoming for them that has a not great 4K release in Germany (Though, way better than anything that has come before) but has a 4K master out there.

I suspect the delay for Dog Soldiers will turn out to be to facilitate a 4K UHD release, and I'll be very surprised if their upcoming release of Romero's Martin isn't also a 4K release after the success of Dawn of the Dead. It's a shame that their release of Walkabout this year was 'only' Blu-Ray but to give them credit it might also be the best quality Blu-Ray I own.

Tenet being bad is something I can totally agree with. It is a complilation of all of Nolan's worst traits, without having an interesting idea to fall back on. I do wonder if the reviews will have been as glowing if it was released as planned in a world sans COVID lockdown. Though, I'm in the minority who thinks that The Dark Knight Rises is actually pretty good. It is ideologically conflicted, but I think it transplants a lot of the main concerns of the 'war on terror' and the economic inequalities that were apparent post-2008 to the superhero genre more effectively than any other film that has tried likewise.

It's an exciting development, but it's unfortunate that the concept of a 'collector's edition' now seems to be oriented around packaging and tat while my ideal is what the best of the boutique labels (Indicator/Arrow/Criterion etc.) have done for years - contextual extras, booklets etc. - with the packaging being a secondary concern. I've yet to see any of these studio / HMV collector's editions have anything addtional of worth - any booklet is usually filled with images and there's usually an assortment of postcards that are just a waste of tree.

I suspect the delay for Dog Soldiers will turn out to be to facilitate a 4K UHD release, and I'll be very surprised if their upcoming release of Romero's Martin isn't also a 4K release after the success of Dawn of the Dead. It's a shame that their release of Walkabout this year was 'only' Blu-Ray but to give them credit it might also be the best quality Blu-Ray I own.
I think Tenet reviews were pretty mixed to start with and I imagine quite a few people didn't venture out to see it (the only reason I did was because my friend works at a cinema so we got a private showing) I bet when the DVD/Blu ray/digital is released they'll be far more opinions out there and I don't think they'll be as kind...

On the collector's editions the best in my eyes are the 88 Films Jackie Chan releases. Yes they get a slip cover & a poster with new original artwork but more importantly the work that goes into some of the restorations and the fact most of them come with multiple cuts of the same film in multiple languages and with atleast one commentary track makes them more than worth the £15 asking price.

Can you imagine if big Hollywood companies put that amount of care into a release? You know they have x amount of material that they just sit on. The only ones that jump to mind are Blade Runner or the LotR extended DVDs that came out back in the day.

Imagine if Disney actually gave a crap and released a collector's edition of any of the Marvel or Star Wars films instead of banging out a barebones release that might have a few extra features when you know they've got about a 100hrs of footage sat on a hard drive somewhere 🤷‍♂️

Yep, keep those releases coming, am happy for Blu ray releases too. The one positive about that German Dog Soldiers is the Blu ray (as the 4K was basically the same and it didn't have HDR) was much, much better than the previous scream factory release so a nice box and writing thats new/localised? That's a Win. Seeing as Powerhouse/Indicator and 88 Films will likely never do 4K, having Arrow, Studio Canal (Not an indie sure, but have done very non-studio releases but also seem have moved some "Controversial" releases to Indicator recently despite promoting them publicly) doing 4K is great and maybe even Second Sight too. We'll see on Eureka.

Last edited:
Can you imagine if big Hollywood companies put that amount of care into a release? You know they have x amount of material that they just sit on. The only ones that jump to mind are Blade Runner or the LotR extended DVDs that came out back in the day.

Imagine if Disney actually gave a crap and released a collector's edition of any of the Marvel or Star Wars films instead of banging out a barebones release that might have a few extra features when you know they've got about a 100hrs of footage sat on a hard drive somewhere 🤷‍♂️

To be fair to Disney, they've done better than most with extras for their animated classics over the years and I distinctly remember the first time I ever paid attention to bonus features was, as a kid, with Lilo & Stitch's audio commentary and 2-hour long making-of documentary. But I just checked and neither have been carried over to the Blu-Ray, which goes to prove your point about lack of care. But I suppose the amount of extra money that Disney would make from putting effort into their releases probably isn't enough to make them pay attention.

Agreed on the 88Films Jackie Chan releases, I haven’t missed a single one yet and want to support the label where I can.

I think the only 88 Films release I own is Come Drink with Me, which is a wonderful film. There was some obvious typos in their subtitling, which really should have been picked up at the QC stage, but it didn't spoil the experience. I can't say Jackie Chan is really my thing, but I've been meaning to get their release of John Woo's Heroes Shed No Tears for a while.

So. Parasite got a UK 4K Ultra HD release as many of you know, and interestingly this is not a replica of the US Universal release (compared to say how Shadow was between Universal UK and Well Go USA).

The UK 4K disc covers:
  • Features:
    • "Making Of" featurette (5:02)
    • Deleted Scenes (12:09)
    • Curzon Mayfair Q&A with director Bong Joon-ho and actor Song Kang-ho (29:20) [1080i/50]
    • Character Trailer (2:14)
    • Theatrical Trailer (2:16)
  • Audio:
    • Korean Dolby Atmos
    • Korean DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    • Korean LPCM 2.0 Stereo
    • English Audio Descriptive LPCM 2.0 Stereo
The US 4K disc for comparison:
  • Features:
    • Fantastic Fest 2019 Q+A with director Bong Joon-ho (19:05)
    • Trailer #1 (2:22)
    • Trailer #2 (2:03)
  • Audio:
    • Korean Dolby Atmos
    • French DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
The UK 4K package also comes with the Black & White version on a Blu-ray disc. The US does have a Black & White version but only through the Criterion Blu-ray release. I have not found any photos of the UK standard edition packaging in person and video specs yet though.

It seems like a good debut 4K UHD from Artificial Eye, but I imported the Universal when it came out so I can't say it's worth double dipping on. It feels like they missed the boat a bit - surely would have been best to capitalise on the buzz around Parasite earlier in the year. I would much rather they have released a 4K UHD of Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which doesn't have a UHD release anywhere in the world and would benefit immensely from it.

Back