4K Blu Ray collection & Upcoming Releases discussion thread

Considering the UHD is all-region, I guess you can always wait for a sale of the US version before grabbing it.

I plan to stick to the UK one regardless and if I feel like I really want the uncut version I'll import a US copy later when it goes on sale.

It's not so much of a deal breaker that it's worth the hassle of importing, if it was more egregious then sure. Although I do like Nolan films I haven't seen this one yet so I'll probably rent it on Amazon Prime first anyways.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I thought Tenet was trash.
Visually it looks really good but I'd bet most of that is down to the DP. The story is so convoluted purely for the sake of Nolan 'trying' to show off how intelligent he is but then randomly turns into Call of Duty for the last 40mins with hundreds of soldiers quite literally shooting at nothing 🤦‍♂️
I'm not saying Nolan is a bad director he just needs to go back to smaller budget films and only direct films written by someone else. He might have a good idea for a film but let someone else write it!
I'm pretty sure he only wrote Tenet as a narrative way to get around the huge amount of plot holes in all his films, just say its some timey s#it that explains everything...

Rant over. Bring on the hate 🤣

tl;dr - Dark Knight Rises is the worst Batman film ever made and yes that includes the Schumacher ones!

Isnt that Nolan in a nutshell he thinks he is very very clever.
Yes you cant hate watch DKR unlike B&R but B&R is the so bad its good one. Bat Credit card, bat nips and ofc really bad Arnie as Mr Freeze.

I like DKR

Actually the whole Nolan Bat trilogy is great
Batman Begins & The Dark Knight are great everyone knows that, my problem is with Rises... its just makes NO sense at all. Here are a few of the big hitters:

1. Bane, I'm going to blow up the city... in 5 months.

2. Why send EVERY police officer into the sewers at the same time?!

3. When said police do get out, they've been in the sewers for months how are none malnourished? Rats? cannibalism? Who knows....

4. Hanging on a rope does NOT fix a broken back.

5. How does Bruce get from the pit back to Gotham with no money or passport?

6. When he does get back how does he know where Catwoman is?

7. How does he escape the bomb radius.

I could go on, mostly about Talia's motivations and how they make no sense whatsoever but I'll stop. My point is everyone is free to like whatever they want but in my eyes TDKR is a terrible Batman film (who has hardly any screen time BTW!) Nolan & Goyer just didn't care and were in it for the pay check either that or Goyer wrote most of BB & TDK and Nolan wrote most of TDKR 🤷‍♂️ going by Tenet I'd put my money on that option going by Nolan's other films.
The best description I've heard of Tenet was by a guy on twitter who said "Its like a Bond film written by someone who's never seen a Bond film" which is what Rises feels like if you replace Bond with Batman 🤷‍♂️

So this is likely the closest thread for this but after checking and hoping the general lack of confirmation about this was just ignorance, The Xbox Series X (and I assume the PS5 as well) does NOT support Dolby Vision HDR for UHD Blu ray playback (HDR10 is of course still supported). I should also say, HDR10+ isn't mentioned anywhere on the system so I doubt thats supported but I can't check that to be sure. So hanging on to my standalone player for the foreseeable future.

So this is likely the closest thread for this but after checking and hoping the general lack of confirmation about this was just ignorance, The Xbox Series X (and I assume the PS5 as well) does NOT support Dolby Vision HDR for UHD Blu ray playback (HDR10 is of course still supported). I should also say, HDR10+ isn't mentioned anywhere on the system so I doubt thats supported but I can't check that to be sure. So hanging on to my standalone player for the foreseeable future.

I did a bit of research on the PS5 and it looks about the same. Disapointing news as that instantly devalues the PS5 disc tray version for me. Also correct me if I am wrong isn't Dolby Vision a better version of HDR10+ ?

I did a bit of research on the PS5 and it looks about the same. Disapointing news as that instantly devalues the PS5 disc tray version for me. Also correct me if I am wrong isn't Dolby Vision a better version of HDR10+ ?
Not exactly, both are better HDR implementations than HDR10 given they have metadata thats dynamic and not flat across the entire video (essentially, brightness and contrast can adjusted for each scene not just preset for the whole video with greater potential for colour depth as its 12bit vs 10 on HDR10). Dolby Vision is the corporate, license fee reliant variant and HDR10+ is the open source competitor backed by a block of competitors in both in the distributor end (Fox and others) and TV manufacturers like Samsung. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are also very comparable in terms of quality and features. Problem is, Dolby Vision is already a good product and has better support across the video services such as Netflix and Apple TV (HDR10+ lacks wide support so far) and has excellent TV support from LG and others so its omission stings for 4K Disc playback. Like, I would pay if I had to get the license to use it as its just dumb to require a standalone player because the console manufacturers want as thin of a margin as possible. It's not a great move, but they could have given folks the option to pay for Dolby Vision but I suspect they won't after Xbox One S and One X didn't previously (its not like Microsoft didn't pull a move like it in the past with requirements for users to buy a DVD remote for the OG Xbox to get dvd support and baked the license fee right in there).

Still, I think at least having a 4K drive is at least a positive for now, Weathering with You 4K will still hopefully be an excellent picture with its implementation of HDR10 but if only there was better minimal support for alternatives as it could be better!

Not exactly, both are better HDR implementations than HDR10 given they have metadata thats dynamic and not flat across the entire video (essentially, brightness and contrast can adjusted for each scene not just preset for the whole video with greater potential for colour depth as its 12bit vs 10 on HDR10). Dolby Vision is the corporate, license fee reliant variant and HDR10+ is the open source competitor backed by a block of competitors in both in the distributor end (Fox and others) and TV manufacturers like Samsung. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are also very comparable in terms of quality and features. Problem is, Dolby Vision is already a good product and has better support across the video services such as Netflix and Apple TV (HDR10+ lacks wide support so far) and has excellent TV support from LG and others so its omission stings for 4K Disc playback. Like, I would pay if I had to get the license to use it as its just dumb to require a standalone player because the console manufacturers want as thin of a margin as possible. It's not a great move, but they could have given folks the option to pay for Dolby Vision but I suspect they won't after Xbox One S and One X didn't previously (its not like Microsoft didn't pull a move like it in the past with requirements for users to buy a DVD remote for the OG Xbox to get dvd support and baked the license fee right in there).

Still, I think at least having a 4K drive is at least a positive for now, Weathering with You 4K will still hopefully be an excellent picture with its implementation of HDR10 but if only there was better minimal support for alternatives as it could be better!

Thank you for the clear explanation.

Here's a question for you lot, what's the most accessible 4K UHD player that is also affordable and has the right amount of features (Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision)?

From the ones I've looked at, the closest is probably the Panasonic DP-UB models. There's three versions but it's the latter two that are more popular - 450 & 820. The difference in pricing is £100 but I was curious to know what makes the 820 better than the 450.
unknown.png

Here's a question for you lot, what's the most accessible 4K UHD player that is also affordable and has the right amount of features (Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision)?

From the ones I've looked at, the closest is probably the Panasonic DP-UB models. There's three versions but it's the latter two that are more popular - 450 & 820. The difference in pricing is £100 but I was curious to know what makes the 820 better than the 450.
unknown.png
So, I have the UB450. While I assume the UB820 has a faster processor and other picture optimisations, the UB820 has also got wifi. This is relevant because, when I got my UB450, I had update the firmware as, although the UB450 supports DV and HDR10+, it didn't support 4K Discs like Alita: Battle Angel that support both DV and HDR10+ (or at least it wouldn't display DV) and just displayed HDR10. So I had to update it via manually hooking the device the via ethernet and updating its firmware (via a laptop). Also, the HDR optimizer sounds like an attempt to allow HDR10 content to display a dynamic metadata like effect seen in DV and HDR10+ so if you have a TV that has a feature like LG's Dynamic Tone Mapping (which has been present in their high end for a couple of years now) its mostly meaningless (though it could be more accurate but I haven't done the full research there).

Some interesting discussion happening here - upgrading my method of 4K Playback from console to a dedicated player is on the cards, though part of me is looking to upgrade my TV first.

So, I have the UB450. While I assume the UB820 has a faster processor and other picture optimisations, the UB820 has also got wifi. This is relevant because, when I got my UB450, I had update the firmware as, although the UB450 supports DV and HDR10+, it didn't support 4K Discs like Alita: Battle Angel that support both DV and HDR10+ (or at least it wouldn't display DV) and just displayed HDR10. So I had to update it via manually hooking the device the via ethernet and updating its firmware (via a laptop). Also, the HDR optimizer sounds like an attempt to allow HDR10 content to display a dynamic metadata like effect seen in DV and HDR10+ so if you have a TV that has a feature like LG's Dynamic Tone Mapping (which has been present in their high end for a couple of years now) its mostly meaningless (though it could be more accurate but I haven't done the full research there).
Thanks for the reply!

- Re: Wi-Fi

I have two spare ethernet slots next to the TV and other players in the main room, so having to update firmware especially with our house's internet connection I don't think will be a big issue. So that's one part somewhat resolved.

- Re: 4KTVs with features like LG's Dynamic Tone Mapping

My house's 4KTV is a Samsung branded one. It has a HDR+ Mode and that's about it to be honest.

Some interesting discussion happening here - upgrading my method of 4K Playback from console to a dedicated player is on the cards, though part of me is looking to upgrade my TV first.

Yeah same, I was relying on the PS5 admittedly to be a solid UHD player to build a nice entertainment center around but now I'll probably be in the market for a dedicated player as well later down the line. I need a 4k TV and currently saving up for a nice one. Looking at something like an LG OLED55CX but realistically by time I get the money together a newer model will be out.

Yeah same, I was relying on the PS5 admittedly to be a solid UHD player to build a nice entertainment center around but now I'll probably be in the market for a dedicated player as well later down the line. I need a 4k TV and currently saving up for a nice one. Looking at something like an LG OLED55CX but realistically by time I get the money together a newer model will be out.
Funnily enough I’m looking at the same model but the 48 inch version - it’s gotten some great reviews though as you say there may end up being a new model come next year with some refinements and/or extra features.

Back