The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

So I was just watching Aura Battler Dunbine's sequel OVA and then this question occured to me:
Are there any other settings, that at first glance look like an ancient/medivial/not advanced civilization setting, but is actually a retrogaded science fiction setting-in hinding world?

In the case of Dunbine's OVA it takes place 700 years after the TV show and the mechas and space-ship-y tech is long gone, so looks a lot like a mediviel fantasy setting (until they dig their ancient relict mecha out). The only other ones that come to mind etc are Utawarerumono and Shinsekai Yori.

The other question that also popped up with the OVA: Is there something else taking place several hundred years after the first, making the happenings/settings of the first look like a mystefied relic?
Red Garden's OVA comes to mind and I think Macross Frontier had some cameos of a previous installent included as a play.

Edit: ignore this, I just found some details here!
Has anyone got the Elfen Lied BD (the 101 Films release)? I don’t understand a lot of technical stuff, so I hope someone who does can explain something to me.

The English language track sounds very strange to me. It’s like all sound is centred right in the middle of the TV and it all seems muffled.

The Japanese track sounds “normal”, exactly like I’d expect it to. The sound is fuller and everything is much clearer.

The box says both tracks are 5.1, so I don’t know why they sound so different. Is there some kind of technical reason for this or is it it just a fault with the release? I’ve not been able to find any complaints about it online.

Has anyone got the Elfen Lied BD (the 101 Films release)? I don’t understand a lot of technical stuff, so I hope someone who does can explain something to me.

The English language track sounds very strange to me. It’s like all sound is centred right in the middle of the TV and it all seems muffled.

The Japanese track sounds “normal”, exactly like I’d expect it to. The sound is fuller and everything is much clearer.

The box says both tracks are 5.1, so I don’t know why they sound so different. Is there some kind of technical reason for this or is it it just a fault with the release? I’ve not been able to find any complaints about it online.
The English audio is a bit botched due to the authoring done by Sentai Filmworks and ADV Films. The 2019 US Steelbook Blu-ray release has been re-authored and fixes the problem.

So I was just watching Aura Battler Dunbine's sequel OVA and then this question occured to me:
Are there any other settings, that at first glance look like an ancient/medivial/not advanced civilization setting, but is actually a retrogaded science fiction setting-in hinding world?

In the case of Dunbine's OVA it takes place 700 years after the TV show and the mechas and space-ship-y tech is long gone, so looks a lot like a mediviel fantasy setting (until they dig their ancient relict mecha out). The only other ones that come to mind etc are Utawarerumono and Shinsekai Yori.

The other question that also popped up with the OVA: Is there something else taking place several hundred years after the first, making the happenings/settings of the first look like a mystefied relic?
Red Garden's OVA comes to mind and I think Macross Frontier had some cameos of a previous installent included as a play.

Orguss 02 fits that description to a tee, and apparently it’s a sequel to the original Orguss (I haven’t seen that) in the way you specify.

The English audio is a bit botched due to the authoring done by Sentai Filmworks and ADV Films. The 2019 US Steelbook Blu-ray release has been re-authored and fixes the problem.
Is the original Q about a 1080p release? I haven't noticed much problem with sound since I have the steelbook.

The biggest problem with the steelbook however is the upscaling to bluray, the "vectors" look a little blurry and the thicker outlines on virtually everything are pixelated

This of course is easy to understand that it comes from how it would originally be intended to be shown on japanese terrestrial broadcast when it was made, japanese people don't spare the expense on the newest, top res TVs so broadcasters don't spare the expense on a hi res broadcast. When Elfen Lied aired the broadcasters would often use 480p and the DVDs were made just like that

Then again there is older stuff with better upscaling, perhaps whoever authored the bluray release didn't spend much time on quality control, just being more concerned with actually releasing it

Last edited:
is there any reason that we don't have any HD rescans of the original pokemon series aside from the first episode for the anniversary a couple years ago?

Question for those who had ordered through United Publications UK before. A while back I placed pre-orders for Shield Hero and I just noticed today that both parts have gone down in price - Part 1 Limited Edition is now £31.50 and Part 2 Limited Edition is now £20.00.

35FSEGWl.png

I was wondering if UP1 actually charges the lowest price like Amazon does or are they basically screwing over early adopters by charging the more expensive rate? They don't take payment until dispatch for those wondering (unless you used PayPal of course).

I'm not sure, but I think you pay the price when you made the order. At least that's what I can see from previous orders, but then again there's no way for me/us to see what the price was when they actually shipped the order. Basically I don't think they follow the Amazon rule that if a price goes down during pre-order that you get the item at that price.

Also have Shield Hero on order at UP1 but I see something else which is puzzling me. Ordered Part 1 for £41,99 but now see in the On Order under Account that it states the SRP of £69.99

@NormanicGrav , the answer I got back from UP1 regarding this that they don't have a pre-order price guarantee policy, but you'll be charged at the price listed on our web site.

In fact this answer doesn't say much to me, but I guess it means whenever they ship it will be the price that is shown on the website at that particular time.

@NormanicGrav , the answer I got back from UP1 regarding this that they don't have a pre-order price guarantee policy, but you'll be charged at the price listed on our web site.

In fact this answer doesn't say much to me, but I guess it means whenever they ship it will be the price that is shown on the website at that particular time.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well considering how picky UP1 can be I would rather not get on their bad side so I'll just have to deal with it.

Yeah, same here. They are my to-go source for US releases and sometimes use them for UK releases as they usually have better prices than Amazon and Zavvi.
Although they clearly are more expensive for US releases than rightstuf for example they have zero customs (for now at least) and usually when they ship the package arrives in two-three days.

Have had excellent customer support from them in the past; like at one time I ordered a DVD by mistake when there was a BD available and they contacted me saying 'we see you usually order BD's but in this case you did order a DVD, was that by mistake and should I change that in your order?' ... never ever seen any other web shop doing that kind of customer support.

Does Manga's Steamboy blu ray have Japanese audio option? Amazon are confusing by jumbling all the reviews together.

I've just found that The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is available on Funimation to stream. I here it's a spin-off of
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
I've watched both seasons of Melancholy, but not watched the movie yet. Can I watch the disappearance before the movie? Or should I wait to after the movie?

I've just found that The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is available on Funimation to stream. I here it's a spin-off of
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I've watched both seasons of Melancholy, but not watched the movie yet. Can I watch the disappearance before the movie? Or should I wait to after the movie?
I recommend that you watch the movie first because of certain plot elements that occur (and also context).

Nagato is a spin off of Disappearance, not Melancholy. I would definitely recommend watching the film first otherwise you'll be very confused.

I just watched the film for the first time a week ago actually, easy 10/10 for me. :)

Thanks NormanicGrav and Azar! Appreciate the help!
I shall put that show on the backburner then until I watch the film. Good thing I asked otherwise it looked like a lot things wouldn't of made sense haha

Echoing Grav and Azar; watch The Disappearance of Haruhi ASAP if you've still got the series fresh in your head, it's an incredible movie!

I'd go as far as skipping The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan completely though, it's the Pocketful of Rainbows to Eureka Seven in that it almost cheapened what I'd seen before it.

I’ve got two quick questions about HIDIVE:

1) how much is the service? I read it’s $4.99, but can’t seem to find a uk price (or page on the website)

2) can you view anime on the site and phone/tablets Apps without using VPN etc?

Back