Rate the Last Film You Watched

Maquia

Well I had no idea what this was gona be about and it was very good. Most of the way it was interesting and pretty unique and I really enjoyed the fantasy setting, but my, the film really knew how to tug in the heartstrings for the final half hour. Definitely be ready to she dsome tears over this one!

The animation is great, the music can be very moving. You'll laugh, cry be filled with tension.

9/10

I want to eat your pancreas

I have some things so say about this one, my English isn't enough to express what I really think about it, it just works to me, you see I've watched the live action about 1 year ago, it plays a bit different. Was it worse in that sense? I think so, I like how it played out there
MC becomes a teacher and tells her story to his student, I really liked how they played out the events, at the end he never really recovers that fast, the student tells him about a certain aspect in the library... which eventually comes into a book play made by her and he gets the letter and only after, at the girl BF marriage they come into terms with each other, like the MC girl wanted. I really liked the way it was done
anyway, aside from that, this is fantastic, in the way they animate the small details, the expressions, the sounds, the feelings.. I can almost touch them, it just works better on anime format, VA top notch, sumika kami like songs.

In a sense it's a shame, this could be a 10/10 to me, but I can't in good faith find it that good when there's a way out there to experience the telling in a more clever and unique way, overall KimiSui is a 9-10 /10 series to me, but neither the live action or the anime movie get that far. I wonder how the novel plays out, then again I think I don't need another retelling of this one, I can play this events from each in the way I want, in my mind. I wouldn't call it a special show to me, it's no Oregairu, it's no Clannad.. but I would be lying if I said I didn't cry on both formats, it's a great, really great writting. 8/10

Spider-Man: Far From Home

A fun and ,ifht epilogue to phase 3 of the MCU that delves into the post-Endgame world as well as issues we still face today. Another standout MCU villain and probably one of the funniest scripts in the franchise so far.

And the mid-credits scene is a real stinger that'll really make you yearn for the follow up! Oh and also...

J K BLOODY SIMMONS!!!!! Soooo happy!

8/10

Spider-man Far From Home

Agree with everything @Mr L has said. It's a very funny and charming film. We get to see the effect losing Tony has had on Peter and what that means to him both as Peter and as Spider-man.

Everyone brings their A game to their acting in this film. The story is great, the visuals are great.

Both the mid credit and end credit scenes are great aswell and worth staying for.

8.5/10

After seeing someone tweet about it I've realised that this spiderman film is the perfect representation of the phrase With great power comes great responsibility. It didnt really occur to me at the time but it must be part of why I liked it so much.

Peter is literally handed an item of great power but doesnt feel ready so relinquishes responsibility, everything goes wrong and he needs to take it back and take responsibility for that power to save the day.

Godzilla [4K]
This one has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and with the release of the 4K, I just had to get it. The movie itself is alright, but as said I really enjoy it. I've actually never seen any other Godzilla movie other than this, but I got Shin Godzilla last night. Otherwise, the PQ was good, there was a couple of scenes were it like goes to DVD quality, other than that it was really good. 7/10.

The best Godzilla is the original 1954 release. IMDB

220px-Gojira_1954_Japanese_poster.jpg

Just watched Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse and it was definitely as hyped to be. Very stylish and funny and easily the most entertaining movie from 2018. It's not without flaws but nothing majorly sticks out in a bad way.

8.7/10

Venom [4K]
Fun film to be honest, it was my first viewing this one. Think it's more of a guilty pleasure situation here. Hardy was great and fun, Venom had a personality lol. I thought it was really fast paced though, like it didn't feel like 2-ish hours by the end. Visuals were also great. 6.5/10.

I didn't quite catch it, but what did they do so it couldn't be tied in with the other Marvel films?
Basically it's a sony film without marvel involvement. From a sony point of view it occupies the same space as Tom hollands spider man and they have the option to use Holland in a future venom film. From a marvel perspective if venom had done well enough they'd have brought hardy into the mcu. At this point point either or neither could still happen.

Well the first forgettable in my opinion. It's not bad but it's not all that good either. The second otherhand was much funnier and i laughed my ass off when team went out.

So I decided to make a goal by trying to go through as many Asian films as I can throughout this month. For Day One I selected Departures.

zNUD8Jtl.jpg

Departures (Okuribito [おくりびと]) is a 2008 Japanese film directed by Yōjirō Takita. The story is the main focus of the film, which follows a cello musician who loses his job and ends up finding another one that focuses on funerals. It's an intriguing concept but what really got me emotionally invested was how you experience the whole process. You watch as he slowly understands how the job works and how much it impacts the people around him. There are a lot of scenes throughout this film that goes through the process and worth of caution it may upset some folks if it's too close to home (the BBFC even mentioned it in their mini description box). Regardless this film is very good, if not excellent, as it ends on a rather surprising but satisfying note. The music, composed by Joe Hisaishi (Studio Ghibli, Ni no Kuni) is also beautiful with its classical tunes that fit the atmosphere of the scenes and also our main character who is a musician also. The film won the Best Foreign Language Film award at the 81st Academy Awards also. In terms of flaws you could nitpick on the interaction between the relationship between the main character and his wife around the halfway point onwards, but personally I see this more as a 'show don't tell' case because while she has her concerns you can see her coming into terms of how and why he's decided to keep his job without saying anything..

Departures is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Academy.

4.5/5

Here's a brief look at what films I'll try and check out throughout this month:
Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures

To Watch:
  • Before We Vanish
  • Blue Spring
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dead or Alive 2: Birds
  • Dead or Alive: Final
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Wolf Guy: Burning Wolf Man
  • Yakuza Law

Last edited:
Day Two of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Before We Vanish.

4uAWN0Al.jpg

Before We Vanish (Sanpo Suru Shinryakusha [散歩する侵略者]) is a 2017 Japanese film directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. It's a science fiction film that has elements of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Pulse mixed alogether, and overall the concept is pretty good and kinda unique. The story is rather non-existant since the main focus is all about the character development of one of the main aliens in the film. It's interesting to watch how he understands the concepts that he grabs throughout the film and what actions he eventually decides to take as the film progresses. It's not a perfect film unfortunately as the story does go a bit off the rails in its final moments with results in a lot of exposition. The CG is also pretty noticeable and makes the film feel a bit dated at times which is a shame considering this came out pretty recently and that Pulse (one of the director's previous films) had CG which was handled much better and that came out back in the early 00s. Overall Before We Vanish is still interesting to check out but the long runtime may bother you a bit given its rather slow pace throughout.

Before We Vanish is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

3/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#02 - Japan - Before We Vanish

To Watch:
  • Blue Spring
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • The Human Condition Part I: No Greater Love
  • The Human Condition Part II: Road to Eternity
  • The Human Condition Part III: A Soldier's Prayer
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Woman is the Future of Man
  • Yakuza Law

Day Three of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Blue Spring.

axz4vXSl.jpg

Blue Spring (Aoi haru [青い春]) is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Toshiaki Toyoda and based on the manga of the same name from Taiyo Matsumoto (Ping Pong, Tekkonkinkrett). It's a slice of life sort of film that goes through the lives of a couple young high school boys during their time at school. There isn't that much of a story to this film, but what keeps me intrigued are the characters. At first I was a bit confused on what exactly the film is trying to do, but looking back it's basically an anthology film with mini-stories presented throughout, for instance one person deals with how he feels about losing his baseball match, while another is not happy with the new boss of the group not doing the job that he had imagined. It's bits and pieces presented and the runtime is spot-on for what is being covered, because any longer it would have dragged and ruined the pace. Overall it's a good film and certainly a cult classic of sorts among the Asian Cinema line-up. The music is also pretty neat with its late 90s/early 00s style rock music.

Blue Spring is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Third Window Films.

3.5/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#03 - Japan - Blue Spring

To Watch:
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

Day Four of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

hu26sDUl.jpg

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Boksuneun Naui Geot [복수는 나의 것]) is a 2002 South Korean film directed by Park Chan-wook and is the first film in his Vengeance trilogy. I honestly didn't know much about the story for this film so it caught me by surprise how the director has presented the story. For starters, there's barely any dialogue for a lot of the scenes as one of the characters is deaf. Regardless you can understand what's going on as the film progresses. I'm not going to give away any more plot details for this one because the story goes into a very interesting direction (it's nothing insane or over-the-top, but it's one of those stories that makes you think a bit when you finish watching). The violence is pretty good too. Overall, great revenge film and while I find Oldboy to be a much better film story and tension wise, it's still worth checking out.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Palisades Tartan and soon to be available from Arrow Video.

3.75/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#04 - Korea - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

To Watch:
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

Day 5 of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Terra Formars.

QOBaDa2l.jpg

Terra Formars [テラフォーマーズ] is a 2016 Japanese film directed by Takashi Miike and is based on the manga series of the same name. Unlike the anime's TV series (outside of the OVAs exclusive to the manga volumes), this film adapts the beginning of the story that sets up the story i.e. volume 1 of the manga. Volume 1's story is relatively simple and the film does a good job for the most part of getting through the events, though Miike has decided to add some original stuff into the mix like a villain of sorts back on Earth which I don't recall ever being a thing in the manga. His character is annoying and imposing. There's also a mix of English dialogue on some scenes which I find to be weird but also out of place (there was one moment that felt like it was dubbed in). The CG for the cockroaches I actually thought was pretty solid but everything else is very noticeable. I did find it funny how they even kept in the commentary that the manga and anime had during the bug abilities. Overall it's an alright film, though I would say go for the anime version instead (saying that Viz Media never managed to acquire the OVAs which is disappointing).

Terra Formars is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

2/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#05 - Japan - Terra Formars

To Watch:
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

Day 6 of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Dark Water.

ZfTRxdvl.jpg

Dark Water (Honogurai Mizu no soko kara [仄暗い水の底から]) is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Hideo Nakata and is based on a short story written by Koji Suzuki. Both the director and the original writer worked on Ring so it was interesting to see the two collaborate once again. Dark Water is a film that I honestly didn't hear that much about compared to Ringu or Ju-on but it was known to be among the big J-Horror titles of its time. After watching the film it certainly lives up to its name as one of the big horror films of Japan. Like Ring, Dark Water is a psychological film but it focuses more on the drama surrounding our main female protagonist. I found her character to be believable, as she is someone who simply wants to do her best to keep her young daughter. Like Ring there really isn't that much in terms of jump scares but it does offer a sense of unsettling scenes that make you go 'oh boy' especially during its final act. Overall Dark Water was a very enjoyable horror film that is worth checking out. If I had to nitpick, it's not that scary but it's got a good consistent tone throughout.

Dark Water is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

4/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#06 - Japan - Dark Water

To Watch:
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

Last edited:
Day 6 of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Dark Water.

ZfTRxdvl.jpg

Dark Water (Honogurai Mizu no soko kara [仄暗い水の底から]) is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Hideo Nakata and is based on a short story written by Koji Suzuki. Both the director and the original writer worked on Ring so it was interesting to see the two collaborate once again. Dark Water is a film that I honestly didn't hear that much about compared to Ringu or Ju-on but it was known to be among the big J-Horror titles of its time. After watching the film it certainly lives up to its name as one of the big horror films of Japan. Like Ring, Dark Water is a psychological film but it focuses more on the drama surrounding our main female protagonist. I found her character to be believable, as she is someone who simply wants to do her best to keep her young daughter. Like Ring there really isn't that much in terms of jump scares but it does offer a sense of unsettling scenes that make you go 'oh boy' especially during its final act. Overall Dark Water was a very enjoyable horror film that is worth checking out. If I had to nitpick, it's not that scary but it's got a good consistent tone throughout.

Dark Water is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

4/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#06 - Japan - Dark Water

To Watch:
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law
I watched Dark Water with some friends and they really liked it, as did I. Still haven’t watched my Arrow Video copy though-maybe this October.

I watched Dark Water with some friends and they really liked it, as did I. Still haven’t watched my Arrow Video copy though-maybe this October.
Compared to Ring, Arrow's transfer for Dark Water is not the greatest (and could do with a new restoration) but it's overall I'm still amazed that my copy came with a booklet (you would think the booklet would be OOP by now).

Compared to Ring, Arrow's transfer for Dark Water is not the greatest (and could do with a new restoration) but it's overall I'm still amazed that my copy came with a booklet (you would think the booklet would be OOP by now).
I have heard that the transfer isn’t one of their best but I’m happy mine also came with a booklet.

Back