Get in the Simulwatch - Neon Genesis Evangelion [End of Eva - 21/7]

You're good at this; I never even thought of it like that! 😃

Knows that this is probably the real reason

😭 🤧

Also @WMD , you've activated Excited Big Kid Neil mode again - I'll be on the end of the phone again soon! ;)😊
To be fair I'm definitely watching with an eye to try and pick things up for discussion. I dont normally try to over analyse a show as I watch but with having seen it before and this thread thought I'd try am be analytical as I watch.

... I think it might be a western thing with getting in touch with the feminine side, none of the stuff i've watched gives me the feeling that male characters are out of touch with their feminine side at some point, it all just looks like it's a joke
I do think it’s done for laughs especially as Shinji’s friends are there
For sure. It's there for comic relief before the show gets down to the main action but with an element of the show being about growing up and self discovery I still feel it's an angle with a bit of merit.

I estimate approximately T-10 minutes until Excited Big Kid Neil Time...

You've essentially got Ice (Rei) and Fire (Assooka) elements at play here. Rei's colour palette is cool blues and whites, and Assooka is all bright red with orang---

Oh, that's Neil just messaging me there!!! ;)

Lots of interesting comments here. What particularly caught my eye was:

Similarly, Ritsuko has an Electra complex, in which she loves Gendo, a sort of substitute for her father figure.[75]

Hadn't actually heard of that concept before, but that seems like a big nod back to Nadia, given how much Ritsuko’s character design resembles Elektra (subtle!), who herself was also in a relationship with an older man.

elektra.jpg

Episode 8

Not sure that I have much else to add that hasn’t been touched upon already, but I really like the action scenes in this one. Unit 2 using the ships as stepping stones on the water is a great idea (it also gives us a neat reference point for its scale, given the lack of buildings or other features in the area) and it also has a goddamn cape, come on.

hp5i503hz2q11.jpg

One thing I would like to bring up at this stage is the first Evangelion game, the appropriately named First Impression - it was released for the Saturn in 96, but never outside of Japan. Unlike some of the later tie-ins which venture much more into alternative continuity, however, this game and its sequel are intended as kind of non-canon bonus episodes, placed very specifically between eps 8&9 and 14&15.

The game is very much in the mould of the adventure/visual novel titles of the time, with a lot of story told through limted animation, although it's fully voiced, with the series cast reprising their roles, and features battle scenes where the player moves Shinji's Eva Unit around a small map, engaging in scissors-paper-stone style combat linked to FMV clips. It's actually not unlike the Patlabor SNES game from a couple of years prior.

The most interesting thing about it is probably the story itself, which finds Shinji suffering amnesia after an angel attack. Even if it doesn't appear to add much beyond the level of fanfic, there are quite a few potential endings, and some amusing shennanigans as Asuka takes advantage of the situation and tries to convince Shinji that class rep Horaki is his girlfriend.

Knew it would probably happen but mentioning on a heated dub comparison vid that Shinji's new actor is non-binary attracted that attention of less pleasant people.

Episode 9

A lot to unpack here. First off the slightly rapey undertones here are uncomfortable to watch. Didnt really process it a decade and a half ago but the way kaji is basically forcing himself on Misato and Shinji almost kissing Asuka while she sleeps are pretty gross. Kaji esp as he just stands there and says you said no but i assume you mean yes.

Otherwise theres a lot of good stuff here. Asukas overconfidence gets them into trouble and she and Shinji just can't get along. The montage scenes and Rei stepping in and being perfect were really well done. The only 'upside' to the kaji stuff is that we get to know Misato a little better and how she views herself. she's hung up on her past and on being better than she was.

It was interesting to see the upper command acknowledge they are using children but rather than be sympathetic to the fact they are being cruel to them are just worried that they are getting embarrassed by them.

The silhouette argument between Shinji and Asuka was my favourite frame in the episode.

Edit: it cant be an accident that the kissing scenes are both in the same episode. Is Shinji not going ahead with it supposed to be a childhood innocence verses adult greed type thing?

Last edited:
You got that king of thing a lot in 'romance' scenes from the '90s. I'd give a pazz to Shinji as it was only a kiss and he is a developing confused teenager (and fate teases his hormones a lot on this show).

Asuka really comes off even more strongly like an abrasive teen in the new dub. Every insult is very sharp.

You got that king of thing a lot in 'romance' scenes from the '90s. I'd give a pazz to Shinji as it was only a kiss and he is a developing confused teenager (and fate teases his hormones a lot on this show).

Asuka really comes off even more strongly like an abrasive teen in the new dub. Every insult is very sharp.
That's true. But it is interesting how differently you can read the same situation differently because times have changed. It's probably important to be able to view both as a product of it's time but also to say you know what this isn't really ok.

@WMD - I think that's really important. You're definitely allowed to alter your opinions based on new information and better understanding of things. You can certainly admire something like NGE as a work of art and something that pushed boundaries, but it doesn't mean you have to agree with everything it presents us with.
If anything, it's probably testament to just how much times and attitudes have changed when your reaction to something is so different now to how it was a decade or so ago.

I went ahead and finished the series last night, the last 2 are how I remember them, though a little more analysing like a tense therapist's office.
I know a few people are watching at least just 1 a day but I'd like to know projections for watching End?

@WMD Its also funny to consider that the 'Shinji/Asuka' situation is one of the rare, exceptional instances where the normally false 'she wanted it' excuse could be considered to be true. As Asuka revealed, she was awake and knew exactly what was happening!

@WMD Its also funny to consider that the 'Shinji/Asuka' situation is one of the rare, exceptional instances where the normally false 'she wanted it' excuse could be considered to be true. As Asuka revealed, she was awake and knew exactly what was happening!
True though the old dub which I was watching almost leaves it a big ambiguous as she then claims she was kidding and was really asleep

@WMD Unless someone with exceptional Japanese can correct me, I'm going to assume the new dub is more accurate with how picky we hear Khara have been recently.

@WMD Unless someone with exceptional Japanese can correct me, I'm going to assume the new dub is more accurate with how picky we hear Khara have been recently.
Fair. Interesting that was a change. I wonder why they went with that before.

I mean I guess they weren't so hands on back then plus the dubbing industry was still pretty young.

Last edited:
A lot to unpack here. First off the slightly rapey undertones here are uncomfortable to watch. Didnt really process it a decade and a half ago but the way kaji is basically forcing himself on Misato and Shinji almost kissing Asuka while she sleeps are pretty gross. Kaji esp as he just stands there and says you said no but i assume you mean yes.
@WMD - I think that's really important. You're definitely allowed to alter your opinions based on new information and better understanding of things. You can certainly admire something like NGE as a work of art and something that pushed boundaries, but it doesn't mean you have to agree with everything it presents us with.
If anything, it's probably testament to just how much times and attitudes have changed when your reaction to something is so different now to how it was a decade or so ago.
They're all pretty screwed up people, in an incredibly screwed up situation. I don't really feel like there's anything wrong with showing them doing screwed up things, especially not given how they're a product of Anno's mental state at the time.

Back