UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

AL have gone back on both instances of disc based UE exclusivity, so I'd be shocked if the same didn't happen here at some point, although the already released LE and SE would make it a bit tougher. Personally, I'd like the new master, but don't really care for any of these extras, so I'd be up for it.

There's an SE of the OLD master, people want an SE of the NEW master, it's not actually complicated tbh.
Are there enough people that want the new master but don't want the UE to justify the costs of a new standard edition though? It would have to be priced higher than the existing £13.99 SE as well, so you just know doc will complain about it being too expensive within 5 minutes of it going live. And then you'll all just import Shout's SE anyway. AL have made the right choice going UE-only for the new master. Those of us that want it can have it, and the rest of you can buy the Shout SE you were looking for an excuse to buy, or settle for the old master, which is good enough to watch anyway.

There's an SE of the OLD master, people want an SE of the NEW master, it's not actually complicated tbh.
And jumping up and down demanding for a new se will not get you or anyone anywhere and al could turn around and say forget it about getting the se of the ultimate edition because people makeing/being unnecessary demanding and some people on are acting like spoilt children.

It is worth pointing out that we aren't selling "just a movie" here. The film itself has been remastered, which was an additional cost on our part. Licensing the soundtrack CD also adds a cost on our side of things. Then, of course, we have the storyboard book, which is the major component of this release and isn't cheap to produce by any stretch of the imagination, and has been a real labour of love from day one.

This is an Ultimate Edition release for a reason - we know it's not for everyone, but it also isn't the first UK release of this title. The market for people who want just the film have been served for some time now, this edition is squarely targeted towards people who want a definitive release that allows them to explore the film in real depth.
I can see that Hanners, and I understand AL need to sell products at a price that makes you money at the end of the day. It’s certainly not “just a film”, no, and I don’t see any point in getting histrionic over the price (it is what it is) but people who aren’t lucky enough to have an unlimited budget do have to pick and choose what they spend their money on - I reluctantly but resignedly blew £100 on GitS:SAC because of how much I love the show, and who knows how much I’ve spent on AL CEs of TV series’ so far (the early bird offers definitely help there) but I have yet to purchase an AL movie UE. I just can’t justify spending that kind of money on ANY movie release (I think the most I’ve spent on a single film from AL is £22.99 for Gundam Thunderbolt, the most I’ve ever spent on any film is £34.99 for the Blade Runner 4k LE).

I was never really bothered, because with most movies I’ll just pick up the standard and be happy with that and let others enjoy the UEs. Perfect Blue, however, is really the first UE I’ve wanted to own - A film from one of my favourite directors with content I’d love to see in the form of the storyboards and extra insights from Kon himself (and I congratulate you for the effort in securing all these extra materials for release). Sadly none of that changes the fact I’m simply not going to have a spare £60 to spend on it before the early bird is over, and I’m even less likely to have a spare £90 after that.

It doesn’t help I guess that I missed out on the original CE of Perfect Blue due to not being in a financial position to even afford that at the time either, so it does feel a little bit like a curse. But yeah, the release actually looks great. Keep doing what you’re doing. I’m not mad at you about the price, you’re not responsible for my financial situation, but I am just going to go cry in a corner if that’s okay.

Last edited:
Want a SE of the new master? Stop being so poor and just buy the UE! Or spend more importing the US release, and a region-free player if you don't already have one! Never change, anime fans.

Not every one has a blue ray player.
And yet, the SD version is on the BD. This set doesn't come with a DVD.

I’ve removed a few posts sniping at members of this forum. As always, we expect all users of this forum to be respectful of each other, and I am happy to start issuing temporary bans to make that point more firmly if we can’t behave ourselves.

Are there enough people that want the new master but don't want the UE to justify the costs of a new standard edition though? It would have to be priced higher than the existing £13.99 SE as well, so you just know doc will complain about it being too expensive within 5 minutes of it going live. And then you'll all just import Shout's SE anyway. AL have made the right choice going UE-only for the new master. Those of us that want it can have it, and the rest of you can buy the Shout SE you were looking for an excuse to buy, or settle for the old master, which is good enough to watch anyway.
Wrong.
You are wrong that I would moan about the price if they explained why it was higher it would be fine. I didnt want to import Shouts SE I don't have an order for it so wrong there. And I believe the association that I aint a fan of the film which I am because I don't want this set. A 40pg book and storyboards could be £40-60 to some people they aren't for me. So wrong the entire assumptions of my entire intentions are wrong. I like this film, I would accept the SE up to £25. And I may import shouts but I will give AL this entire year.

Last edited:
I myself do think they will eventually sell the new master alone, have a look at the shaved down escaflowne, it might take them a while to decide that doing it might actually be worth it but I think not as long as eacaflowne (which was years!)

Want a SE of the new master? Stop being so poor and just buy the UE! Or spend more importing the US release, and a region-free player if you don't already have one! Never change, anime fans.
Call it a hunch, but if all you actually want is the new master I’m fairly confident that’ll be available for somewhere south of nothing within 24 hours of release. Not that I’m encouraging that (feel free to remove my post if you like Teapot) but I’m fairly sure AL are savvy enough to realise that’s inevitable. The real value is in all the extra material.

The real value is in all the extra material
Yeah. If you signed up and got the option of the £60 Early Bird, which I feel is a little sneaky change to the norm (although they heavily hinted you should sign up if interested in PB yesterday), you affectively get the film for free!
I saw someone estimate the book would be £40 and soundtracks are normally around £20 (a quick search shows used ones for PB are actually around £25, ebay/JP Amazon).
I know it was YouTube and videos get compressed when uploaded, but I didn't see a great deal of difference between the 2. Maybe slightly sharper.

Wrong.
You are wrong that I would moan about the price if they explained why it was higher it would be fine. I didnt want to import Shouts SE I don't have an order for it so wrong there. And I believe the association that I aint a fan of the film which I am because I don't want this set. A 40pg book and storyboards could be £40-60 to some people they aren't for me. So wrong the entire assumptions of my entire intentions are wrong. I like this film, I would accept the SE up to £25. And I may import shouts but I will give AL this entire year.
I'm a little confused doc. Not having a go at you (enough people have done that already) but you say all this when you also say you've pre-ordered it from Zavvi, or am I not reading your posts correctly? Why are you buying a release you don't want for £65 more than you're willing to pay for it?

Im torn on it. Part of me wants it especially comparing stuff to other sets I bought for similar or higher prices but £90 is a lot of money. Its a placeholder preorder atm really. Im saying the film is worth about £20-30 and I like the box and the non storyboard book its just storyboard book which im siding to not liking.

Back