French editions to be published

Breaking News !

The distributor has removed from French product sheets the French dubbing for Conan films whereas the publisher announce a french dub ...

I hope the distributor is wrong

If I do not say nonsense, the manga is still published at Kana in France, and the series (the new episodes) are broadcast on J-one in Vostfr only.
Oho, now that is somebody you've got quite ahead of Germany then. oo
Hardly heard of a whole lot of sub-only broadcasts here...

black box had said, they will not edit season 2. because the sales of season 01 are very bad ;-((
Ugh. I even triple dipped on it (and dumped two on people who hardly know French to make them pick up French studies already) to support it. =/

More than probably not the only reason, the big one is : S2 is a Aniplex title, while S1 was Kodansha for international sales back in the days, and Aniplex is not willing to give that show to anyone right now, the only exeption was Madman in Australia, but only on SD DVD.
I really wonder why, when they aren't bothering to to a release themselves. They even let their domestic single releases go OOP by know. >_>
If I had known that before... I had hoped for another French release, because I liked the French dub. =X

Was there any info why Monogatari was such a huge batch at once?

No reason, it's a decision from IDP. It's likely cheaper to manufacture & release everything that way. Also I'm guessing people might be tempted to order all of them at once rather than one every month or so (and few/many buyers giving up on the series).

(…) Seems like it's a DVD sized combo just like Monogatari. Are BD-sized releases basically dead in France? (Either A4 or DVD sized like Zestiria?) (Are they mimicking Japan's single volume releases, that uses DVD sized packages for both BD and DVD?)
No known reason. BD-sized releases that aren't ThatAwesomeShowFromAYearAgo series do not sell well for sure. As for the format, why not?
It's Dybex ...
If you don't know the answer, don't say bs. It's a decision from IDP.

Last time I heard Sony wouldn't license the movie out to Dybex.

Meanwhile, their infinitely superior brother Dynit announced their own Bebop Movie BD (which also includes the English dub).
The last you heard is rather that they wouldn't license it to anyone. But it has changed only very recently and Dynit being fast on the trigger, they have already announced it and listed it.
Manga UK got to release it earlier because they signed with Sony a different deal, where they were taking over all their titles (including the titles that had were completly exploited like Paprika, not the kind of deal you'd want when you pay for a title you can't get any revenue from).

black box had said, they will not edit season 2. because the sales of season 01 are very bad ;-((
And again, no. IDP told me its one of the few acceptable seller of the Saphir line. It's just that Aniplex refuses to sell the title elsewhere.

About Dybex: What happened to their 20th anniversary Cowboy Bebop?
Their Blame license?
Bebop Movie?

They dybexed everything like they did with Monogatari and FMA?

While I don't know any of the details, there's a possibility the Bebop release was silently delayed for a reason you mention.
But then again, it's problematic to add a featurelength movie to a finished boxset that was approved by the Japanese licensors. One have to start the whole process again (and if the movie is owned by a different rightholder, it's twice the trouble). There's a high chance it was delayed too for other reasons.
An approved prototype of the box and few of the inserts were displayed at Japan Expo (July 2018).

Last edited:
f you don't know the answer, don't say bs. It's a decision from IDP.

Just like for conan movies, it's a decision of the right-hand man who refuses a full box. The decision never comes back to IDP alone ...

It's not only an IDP's decision but a decision of the commercilisation of Aniplex's titles, wich can't have a complete edition ....

The company has a dubious past, it is normal that Japan no longer trust IDP ...

and especially Aniplex, who works mostly with Kazé(The asterisk war, Blue exorcist) and All the Anime (Fate UBW ...)

And again, no. IDP told me its one of the few acceptable seller of the Saphir line. It's just that Aniplex refuses to sell the title elsewhere.

It's possible, but the publisher's boss has said another answer ... xD

And about Dybex, it's likely that the release will come out but we will not know until the day ... With Dybex nothing is certain with the dates.

No reason, it's a decision from IDP. It's likely cheaper to manufacture & release everything that way. Also I'm guessing people might be tempted to order all of them at once rather than one every month or so (and few/many buyers giving up on the series).
That's quite interesting. Here (for manga at least even when they're finished in Japan) they try to avoid putting out too much.

No known reason. BD-sized releases that aren't ThatAwesomeShowFromAYearAgo series do not sell well for sure. As for the format, why not?
I guess I've been drilled into that format by all the US/UK/German releases. (As in: You wound up with the DVD format, you pretty certainly bought the wrong thing.) Though I do like it if they aren't as thin. (I like it a little bit more bulbous in general. The nicer images also are landscape formate that go around the corner.)

Which others are included in that "few"?

I think the A4 set are great. Somebody has to tell me what's the point of a tiny ridiculous A5 sized artbook in which you can't see **** (and the images are scalled to allow nice margin and all, so you cannot see anything in the end and you just notice the artifacts of the printer rather).
Now that I actually have the S;G (Dybex) A4 box, I kind of wound up liking it somewhat really fast. At least the Dybex A4 one, which really fits in fine next to the artbook and the box is also not so fragile looking, that it would break from all of the weight tension. With the box having a sidewards spine the artbook's own missing spine is not much of an issue either. In terms of the artbook which has so much artwork, the bigger size really is nice. And right the second moment I though how cool it is, it just had to add my favorite two illustrations on a half page.
instead of 90° flipped like they did with just about any other portrait ilustration.
Which made me go whyyyy, but then I realized how high level of sourness that ended up being (and how real quick it came to be), as that still is the same than what any illustration of a normal BD/DVD booklet would have allowed for. Which I was fine with before. But I'm not sure if that's still the case. (Which would mean, like 99.99% of my collection just got some major devalueing...) In fact the Dybex A4 just made the AL UE size look even more weird that it was before. (As I still only have one of those in my permanent collection, it just totally sticks out.)
Last Exile's tiny artbook (which was in the same order as S;G) wound up being even more of a joke than it would have already been on its own anyway. It's even worse than SAO's artbook, with all those landscape illustrations squeezed to one A5 page...

So, now that I got a taste in those A4s. (And probably should test out how long my disliking the IDP A4 apspect ration would actually survive when faced with the real thing) - How are the releases of Card Captor Sakura and Spice & Wolf like? Are their artbooks just as extensively illustrations-rich as the S;G artbooks? I have the old CCS DVD box, whose illustration choice on the cover I quite like. (Definitely more than the BD), so I was fine with it. But then the BD is, well, a BD. How's the remaster like in terms of quality?
Same questions more or less for S&W. I already got the Funi US release. I quite like the illustrations of Ayakura Juu, but the LN illustrations artbook itself has been OOP for a while in Japan. If the A4 one's really artwork rich, I could just go for that one instead.

Btw. is there any info on what materials the S;G artbooks are sourced from? Exclusive stuff? The 2013 S;G BD Japanese box booklet? (Unfortunately it's box artwork was not present in the A4 release, despite being used for the Gold Edition. I like that illustration. =X)

Last edited:
I guess I've been drilled into that format by all the US/UK/German releases. (As in: You wound up with the DVD format, you pretty certainly bought the wrong thing.) Though I do like it if they aren't as thin. (I like it a little bit more bulbous in general. The nicer images also are landscape formate that go around the corner.)
Exactly the reverse for me. I hate when a simple release is ultra fat (say those amaray boxes used on movies by AL here, it's just a lot of wasted space for a simple one-disc/two-disc release. Hence those sleeve with a digipak are an okay alternative.

Which others are included in that "few"?
SAO, Baccano and Berserk.

So, now that I got a taste in those A4s. (And probably should test out how long my disliking the IDP A4 apspect ration would actually survive when faced with the real thing) - How are the releases of Card Captor Sakura and Spice & Wolf like? Are their artbooks just as extensively illustrations-rich as the S;G artbooks? I have the old CCS DVD box, whose illustration choice on the cover I quite like. (Definitely more than the BD), so I was fine with it. But then the BD is, well, a BD. How's the remaster like in terms of quality?
I have no clue for Sakura. ViC made a long video about it. You can see the whole book as well an extensive review on the authoring (which he says is good, it is based on the 2017 4K master).
I reviewed Spice & Wolf for Anime-HD a few years ago. You can see the review here but it doesn't show much of the artbook. It's certainly not art-heavy compared to Steins;Gate. For example they used captures from the episodes for the characters summaries.
If we talk about the video, the FUNi release has a very questionnable authoring on the first season while this one is fine.
Btw. is there any info on what materials the S;G artbooks are sourced from? Exclusive stuff? The 2013 S;G BD Japanese box booklet? (Unfortunately it's box artwork was not present in the A4 release, despite being used for the Gold Edition. I like that illustration. =X)
I'm unsure, some of the artwork of the second book appears to be from the artbook that came with the movie release. I remember discussing regarding the source of the art with a S;G fan and he said he hadn't seen a few illustrations before so I'd assume it include arts from various sources. Dybex stated it cost them a fortune to access all those illustrations.

Exactly the reverse for me. I hate when a simple release is ultra fat (say those amaray boxes used on movies by AL here, it's just a lot of wasted space for a simple one-disc/two-disc release. Hence those sleeve with a digipak are an okay alternative.
Hm, not sure if I understand you. Are we taking about the same sort of thin/fat? (My thin was addressed to the face-width, not to the depth (as in spine)-width, so i was talking more about the aspect ratio of the cover face. I gravitate more towards a bit more bulbous as in a bit more square-ish, but not a perfect square either. The DVD cover face aspect ratioa a bit too sharply portrait format to my liking.)
What amaray boxes on movies? Not sure about AL France, but AL UK is either a CE digipack in box or a simply standard BD Amaray case. I agree though, all the movies CEs can go rather space eating, as they have the same size as Anime series 1-cour sets.

I have no clue for Sakura. ViC made a long video about it. You can see the whole book as well an extensive review on the authoring (which he says is good, it is based on the 2017 4K master).
Hm, looks like most of the book is episode information. Is the S&W artbook about the same in terms of artwork vs. episode/character bio information?
(I'm most interested about key illustrations and design artwork/storyboard comes after that. Those character bios or episode informations aren't really interested, since all that info is contained in the show on the disc itself already after all.)

If we talk about the video, the FUNi release has a very questionnable authoring on the first season while this one is fine.
Oh I didn't know about that.

I'm unsure, some of the artwork of the second book appears to be from the artbook that came with the movie release. I remember discussing regarding the source of the art with a S;G fan and he said he hadn't seen a few illustrations before so I'd assume it include arts from various sources. Dybex stated it cost them a fortune to access all those illustrations.
Wow. Sounds like there must have been a/some hardcore S;G fan(s) inside Dybex to make that possible. (Monogatari's A4 release isn't remotely as extensive and that show has tons of artwork, too.)
They took some of the illustrations of the Anime-LNs and put them in there, which quite surprised me, because mostly those those satelite book releases' anime key illustrations are more often completely neglected in artbooks than not. (Jigoku Shoujo...) There certainly were also a lot of illustrations of S;G I hadn't even seen floating around the net, so that's a really nice extra. Did they (or anybody else) go as much out of their way like that with any other release?

If every release were like that I think I'd totally start rooting for them to get those A4 releases. Anime key illustration artbooks are rare enough as is, and if they even get some extra artwork collected, that's just absolutely great. That S;G artbook totally did what I was hoping the Korean Hyouka release would have done in their Ultimate Edition and their two artbooks (and 100p of 150p were just an array of screenshots.)
.... Actually Hyouka isn't even there in France. Any publisher who had expressed some interest in getting the title yet?

(Hm, I fact, there doesn't even seem to exist an S;G Anime artbook at all? Just some guidebook, that doesn't have too much artwork. Hm, I guess I won't be getting my two favorite illustration in a bigger format anymore anywhere. Oh well. =/)

Hm, looks like most of the book is episode information. Is the S&W artbook about the same in terms of artwork vs. episode/character bio information?
(I'm most interested about key illustrations and design artwork/storyboard comes after that. Those character bios or episode informations aren't really interested, since all that info is contained in the show on the disc itself already after all.)

Oh I didn't know about that.

I also own that artbook (I buyed that CE second hand just for that, and tossed the A4 box in the bin since I hate those).
The book is 95 pages long, a little more than half of it (~52 pg) are pure artworks, sketchs, linearts, wich is really cool, unfortunatly the rest is only reviews of episodes, or not very interresting little notes.
No StoryBoard, key aniamtion frames, or any interview from the staff.
Also the format is not A4, it's a little tinier than that, because it's IDP format.

PS : the majority of the artworks are illustrations from the LN illustrator.
Fun-fact : the first 2 pages from the book use the same illutration, one is complete while the other is just the same but zoomed, it make no sense.

If you can get it used or for less than 20€ it's "okay" but do not pay the full price (~40€) if you are only interrested in the artbook, its not worth it.

Last edited:
It's about the same. There's little to no setteis in S&W. From what you're telling, I wouldn't really recommend it to someone who's seeking artworks. But at the same time there isn't that much usable art made specifically for the S&W anime. The rest of the art is "stuck" to the artbooks that Kadokawa released and they won't licence images from it.

EDIT As my colleague stated above, if you want just the book, it's not worth it. Otherwise if you just need a nice S&W release, get it.

Hm, not sure if I understand you. Are we taking about the same sort of thin/fat? (My thin was addressed to the face-width, not to the depth (as in spine)-width, so i was talking more about the aspect ratio of the cover face. I gravitate more towards a bit more bulbous as in a bit more square-ish, but not a perfect square either. The DVD cover face aspect ratioa a bit too sharply portrait format to my liking.)
What amaray boxes on movies? Not sure about AL France, but AL UK is either a CE digipack in box or a simply standard BD Amaray case. I agree though, all the movies CEs can go rather space eating, as they have the same size as Anime series 1-cour sets.
I thought we were discussing about the format & size of those Conan releases. Oops. But yeah my point was that in France publishers use 10mm amarays while AL use thicker ones (I believe they are 15mm?) for similar releases containing one or two discs. The difference is really disturbing.

Wow. Sounds like there must have been a/some hardcore S;G fan(s) inside Dybex to make that possible. (Monogatari's A4 release isn't remotely as extensive and that show has tons of artwork, too.)
They took some of the illustrations of the Anime-LNs and put them in there, which quite surprised me, because mostly those those satelite book releases' anime key illustrations are more often completely neglected in artbooks than not. (Jigoku Shoujo...) There certainly were also a lot of illustrations of S;G I hadn't even seen floating around the net, so that's a really nice extra. Did they (or anybody else) go as much out of their way like that with any other release?
Nadia. The box dimensions (thickness, the size is the same) isn't as optimized as S;G as in content gets more space to move around but the 100 pages artbook and the guide are excellent. In the meantime the Korean release of Nadia was released and is seemingly likely superior but that was released some 4 years after it? I need to compare it at some point.

Jormungand is kind of similiar to Steins;Gate, there are two artbooks. One covers all the weapons used throughout the anime with details and the other has anime visuals . But again, there weren't much content to work with as they didn't produce a ****-load of visuals (Jormungand popularity is nothing compared to Steins;Gate) and so the artbook has 35 pages and the weapons guide has about 60p.

The best one they have releases is still Escaflowne in 2011. It was for the DVD release and puts to shame any other Blu-Ray Escaflowne release in terms of contents. But it sold poorly and so they didn't make a collector edition for the Blu-Ray. And they also figured nobody would buy twice the same thing as one can buy the blu-ray in a basic edition and puts them in the A4 box if they feel like it. That Escaflowne set was sold in Germany, Spain, France and Italy by the way.

Last edited:
PS : the majority of the artworks are illustrations from the LN illustrator.
Oh, how much of it is from the anime and how much of the LN? (Did they just get the illustrations from the LN, or is that some new artwork? If it's from the LN, then I could get that artwork from the LN volumes themselves...)

Fun-fact : the first 2 pages from the book use the same illutration, one is complete while the other is just the same but zoomed, it make no sense.
ôo
I know it's common to repeat the cover again with no titles, logos and whatnot, but as you describe it, it makes quite as little sense to me as those randomly chosen two half sized illustrations in the S;G artbook. (Though I'd much rather prefer doublets than just once half sized...)(At least unless the doublet kills the space which otherwise would have been used for more artwork.)

If you can get it used or for less than 20€ it's "okay" but do not pay the full price (~40€) if you are only interrested in the artbook, its not worth it.
I am also very slightly curious about the French dub, but not that terribly much. I guess, I'll keep that one in the backburner wishlist. Perhaps I'll wind up with another Rakuten order somewhen about something and that seller just happens to have that box in the store, too.

But at the same time there isn't that much usable art made specifically for the S&W anime.
I just come to realize the true merit of those A4s, you can actually get the artwork at all.
(Any absurdly low chance any publisher is interested in From the New World? That show doesn't even have that much artwork, too, but it's kind of hard to track. MVM's UK release has 8 or the 9 covers from the japanese covers scaterred around the cover sleeves and disc prints, but the one artwork I like most of them is of course the one that's not included.)

I thought we were discussing about the format & size of those Conan releases. Oops. But yeah my point was that in France publishers use 10mm amarays while AL use thicker ones (I believe they are 15mm?) for similar releases containing one or two discs. The difference is really disturbing.
Aaah, you mean that. Actually (frankensteining Luna babbling start) those are 11mm cases. (Or Kazé's are, I haven't had any AL SEs.) That's the same size Sentai uses for 1-3 disc releases and the same Funi used for 1-3 disc movie combo or BD-only releases. Sentai and Funi use Elite cases (dunno about the French and German ones atm, but pretty sure also Elite.) UK and AUS seem to use Amarays, their 2-disc cases also usually come with a flip tray (their their holders are more prone to break...) and those are 15mm. Elite 4/5-disc cases (as Funi's standard half set combos) are 14mm. But their slips aren't scaled exactly, so 15mm still fits fine. Their half set LE artboxes also aren't too exactly measured, so even if they are intended to only house the two 4-disc Elite cases without the slipcovers the slipcovers can still go in. (That's not the case with German boxes, those are measured exactly to the milimeter. Absolutely no chance to frankenstein something with a slipcover in there.)
Germany also uses 11mm (if it's a BD case), which they better do, when 2-cour shows easily have 8 volumes... Though they also have their damn 8-9mm Mini-Digipacks. (Yes it's space saving, yes, they can hold more artwork, no the merits usually aren't explioted and they are damn prone to damage.)
I have no idea why UK and AUS like their 15mm Amarays. I would guess AL France uses 15m simply to reuse designs from AL UK.
It's not as so much disturbing to me so far, because I regularly frankenstein the DVDs out of the Funi US combos or put 2 sentai half sets in one 4-disc case, those go to be 14/15mm for me anyway. I'm actually currently getting more disturbed over Funi's BD+Digital-only series, which are 11mm in a slipcover, lol. Those were totally only movies to me so far, now they're not anymore.

Ah, too bad, I didn't really like Nadia nor Escaflowne enough to ever watch them again. (And Jormungand from Funi is enough for a 6/10 score show which I might give another chance somewhen.)

The best one they have releases is still Escaflowne in 2011. It was for the DVD release and puts to shame any other Blu-Ray Escaflowne release in terms of contents. But it sold poorly and so they didn't make a collector edition for the Blu-Ray (and they also figured nobody would buy twice the same thing except with newer discs, one can buy the blu-ray and puts them in the A4 box if they feel like it). That Escaflowne set was sold in Germany, Spain, France and Italy by the way.
Those A4 artbook boxes go all the way back to 2011? And then it sold poorly? It's interesting that they went for the A4s again, when it didn't do so well back then.

Speaking of sizes, I just found out I actually wish the Dybex A4 was just 2mm bigger at each edge. The box itself is actually about 3mm bigger than the normal A4 (29.4x21), but due to the cardbox thickness and folding, the inner inner measures are 2mm short of being exactly A4. (The S;G artbooks have 29x20) I thought about taking the BD/DVD out and fill the remaining space with some other artbooks (the huke artbook has the Gold edition cover, yay, that one illustration tracked down), but the artbook also has exactly A4 size according to amazon, so it wouldn't fit in the box. Dang. So much to that frankensteining plan of collecting everything title related into the box with its easily read spine. Perhaps I should get some Light Novels and put those in there...
But that clearly means, that IDP A4 is completly out of the picture for artbook frankensteining. Probably also out for Manga-frankensteining, as most Manga sizes here have higher height than BD. I'm starting to really not like that size all over again, lol.

But that did make me wonder, how come the IDP S;G box is actually the slimmer IDP A4? Because the artbook is bigger than BD height (17mm.) Or did they they resize the artbook for that release's print?

Last edited:
Mailing_AS_20190118_03.jpg

Popped up in my mail box and got me surprise. So BD height releases aren't dead after all. At least this kind of looks like it's going to look like No Game No Life, but it's from Black Box and not Kana. Seems like Black Box isn't coherent with their formats given Conan is DVD height.
(Too bad I am not really interested in the show and also don't like digipack combos all that much...)

Conan are single releases for movies. This is a series. It's obviously not going to be the same format, even if its combo.
This is an IDP A5 release by the way.

Last edited:
People in France care much less about dubs than in other countries. Just check amazon listing of boxset that are subs only in Germany, everyone is complaining.

I'm probably going to pick up BLAME! because Dutch subs are included.

I hope Lain includes Dutch subs, but Dybex didn't port over them over to the BD release of Escaflowne.

People in France care much less about dubs than in other countries. Just check amazon listing of boxset that are subs only in Germany, everyone is complaining.
That's not true: There are also various complaints in France, when a series with at least a small fanbase gets released sub-only.

But the difference is: almost every anime DVD/BD in Germany has a dub, no matter how low sales to expect - whilest in France sub-only DVD/BD are more common (and several titles don't get released at all). You've may seen the "avec VF"-sticker on some releases?

Q: What happened to Kazé France?
This year only 2 releases so far (Silent Voice + last DVD of Sailor Stars).
Any upcoming titles confirmed? (HeroAca 3? OPM2? Jojo?)

Newly listed on Dybex website:
BLAME! Collector's Edition - Combo - Comes with an artbook (number of page not given, likely more than 30)

Don't expect a big big artbook, I have the Japanese set and the booklet included was less than 25 pages (and mostly contained Interviews with the staff) + the exclusive mini manga from Nihei (~10 pages) wich I doubt the french edition have acces to.
What's strange is that I see artworks in that artbook preview that where not in the Jp Booklet, I wonder where they got them.

That's not true: There are also various complaints in France, when a series with at least a small fanbase gets released sub-only.

But the difference is: almost every anime DVD/BD in Germany has a dub, no matter how low sales to expect - whilest in France sub-only DVD/BD are more common (and several titles don't get released at all). You've may seen the "avec VF"-sticker on some releases?

Q: What happened to Kazé France?
This year only 2 releases so far (Silent Voice + last DVD of Sailor Stars).
Any upcoming titles confirmed? (HeroAca 3? OPM2? Jojo?)

There are complains sure, but the lack of french dub is not a death sentence for a physical release here.
The French Market is already in a pretty bad state, so peoples buy news release even if these are sub only.

> Kazé : they didn't get big big seller series recently (exept HeroAca of course) Wakanim and Crunchyroll are getting all of them, so they don't release as much but they're still ok.
"Pretty" Confirmed next is Captain Tsubasa 2018 + the usual suspect, like HeroAca, OPM, Jojo, etc.

It's really too bad I'm not interested in any of those 4 titles.
(Ever since I got that Steins;Gate Labomen box via Rakuten the site keeps spamming me with 5€/10€/15€/10%/20% coupon codes, just to remind me how neatly I could have offset the shipping fees of that first order. And I still have some 4€ of credits there. And a 20€ discount on anime-store to to use within the next half year...)

It's still puzzling to me how the French region sales seem so bad, when even German releases get pumped out so much these days. (Aren't French language territories all added up about as big or even bigger than the DACH regions?)

Back