[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

I bet it’s Japan

Unconvinced. It has been out in Japan for 6 years, there would be no reason for them to not allow Maiden to release it on Blu-Ray in full HD but to allow them to release it in standard definition.

I think a likely explanation is that Maiden don’t think it has the commercial potential for them to release a full 8 disc set, but dear god it’s one of the greatest and most influential anime of all time - divert the budget away from other titles if necessary.

Outlaw Star had not been out for as long as Ideon has though. And allowing an SD BD release makes little sense - it means that importing to Japan would still be possible, unlike a plain old Region 1 locked DVD release. Though I suppose it is an inferior release (hence my complaining!)

Hey, I could be wrong. But because of past behaviours there is a tendency to automatically blame Japan, when they might not be the guilty party. I suppose not many things make sense in this world, but preventing a release on a format that is niche and dying when the local release has been around for 6 years....definitely doesn't!

the format is doing well and fine in JP. You can't say it isn't JP just like we can't say it isn't Maiden Japan causing this issue.

Indeed, I can't say it isn't - it might be. It just seems presumptuous to me to immediately shift the blame away from the distributor releasing it; I've sent them an e-mail, I'll post if I get a response.

Indeed, I can't say it isn't - it might be. It just seems presumptuous to me to immediately shift the blame away from the distributor releasing it; I've sent them an e-mail, I'll post if I get a response.

All we can do is support the release and hope that later on we get a Blu Ray. I'd also be surprised if Japan was the issue given how many Sunrise shows have been coming to Blu Ray no problem.

Back