UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I still don't get why people get so annoyed by delays. It's not like you're sitting in a room fiddling with your thumbs and watch a calendar until the release for that single title... It'll come out eventually, it's such a non issue. Do something else.
To be honest I'm usually not that rattled by release delays. The older I get, the more life givens me stuff to make priority over my hobbies.

00, however, in a complete Blu-ray set is something I'd like to own as fast as possible.

I'm tempted to pre-order Angelic Layer but I've never seen it and a lot of the reviews say it's similar to Pokémon? I hate Pokémon so I'm guessing I'm not going to like this, any thoughts?

I’m just wow. This is just sick and people living in fantasy land things change I’ve had to cancel AL preorders in the past due to needing the money more urgently. Yeah I’ll just pirate all anime as that will save me money.
Well...yeah, whilst I personally consider money as no more than a means of getting by and surviving there are more important things to spend it on than anime. That doesn't then mean that you should be forced to go down an illegal route though just to get what you want. Why not try being a little bit more patient and actually wait for things to come out? :)

Why should I wait in this globalized world when AL need to add French subs which won’t benefit me? I have owned Thunderbolt (the cheaper US ) release for 10 months before AL even announced it. Wing I own they haven’t even announced it a la AGE. The waiting doesn’t benefit me at all only them.

Why should I wait in this globalized world when AL need to add French subs which won’t benefit me? I have owned Thunderbolt (the cheaper US ) release for 10 months before AL even announced it. Wing I own they haven’t even announced it a la AGE. The waiting doesn’t benefit me at all only them.

Because AL need to run a cost effective business, the benefit to you is they're able to keep on getting new releases out the door and not going bankrupt by running cheap enough to sustain providing products to a niche. Also, no one is forcing you to wait, if you'd prefer not to, you could always import, which you seem perfectly content with.

Because AL need to run a cost effective business, the benefit to you is they're able to keep on getting new releases out the door and not going bankrupt by running cheap enough to sustain providing products to a niche. Also, no one is forcing you to wait, if you'd prefer not to, you could always import, which you seem perfectly content with.
I would care 100 times more if the business talk came from people in the know

I don’t like the air of arrogance around, I support AL occasionally then that release gets delayed and I’m supposed to go oh damn and not care.
Sound! I supported seems to be meeting it’s date brilliant. I do support AL and I am patient. I had to wait 6 months between Bungo seasons from FUNi, I happily did. All we were asking is for a rough date and we get crucified for it, us showing interest means I want to buy it. As I am in no rushed to rewatch 00 I want AL's because theirs hopefully will be better. I don’t like this opinion that I hate AL. Bar Gundam I haven’t imported titles AL have to license for in ages. It’s mostly CR titles which are up in the air or monogatari which again MVM haven’t said anything. I don’t not support AL and manga I’m buying their Chuuni film set and MVM I don’t like them moving to CEs first but at least the SE have dates so I may get a few.

On the whole Gundam 00 situation I think doing a blog post detailing how good a series it is without a release date may be slightly misjudged...

Allow me to share what happened when I read the article: I've waiting for years for AL's Gundam releases so I'm not jumping ship now!

When my brother read the article: Oh that sounds really good, when's it out? Oh 'in the future...' annnnnnd imported.

Maybe drop an article hyping up a series closer to release next time? ;)

Re: The Gundam thing, I think a lot of people see what the US have got and feel frustrated the UK isn't getting them at the same pace. My view has mostly been "don't announce something until it's ready for release and can be scheduled in" but like Hanners said people were getting vocal about no updates so... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Still, appreciate what we have got so far, particularly Origin at a more reasonable price than when I was considering importing the Japanese editions.

Can Blu-ray players be modded by code like DVD players? Been looking into getting a cheap Blu-ray player to do this but some sites suggest the region coding is determined by hardware rather than software in this generation.

Can Blu-ray players be modded by code like DVD players? Been looking into getting a cheap Blu-ray player to do this but some sites suggest the region coding is determined by hardware rather than software in this generation.
Most players will require a hardware mod, but there are a few that can be softmodded. All phat PS3 models and some of the earlier PS3 slim models (CECH-2xxx and CECH-21xx) can be softmodded to run a custom firmware. Homebrew apps such as WebMan and MultiMan can change the PS3 Blu-ray region code.

A few Toshiba (and some other) BD players could be made region free (except you would have to change the region for blu-ray discs depending on what region the disc was) by flashing a custom firmware to it, but since those aren't available and there doesn't seem to be anything similar happening for current players (probably because the firmware is encrypted to stop that from happening) the only way to get a region free player is to buy one that has been modded (but there is the chance that some discs that don't depend on the region locking system might not work) or to get a blu-ray drive for your computer and install kodi as that allows the region coding of the drive to be overridden allowing the playback of region locked discs (but probably not geo locked discs).

Back