General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Thought I'd shift this across to the General Anime Discussion thread. :)
@Neil.T i have a question about franxx for you... (still only part way through) does it end as well as it begins and continues as far as I’ve gotten? Does it get better? Should I expect an awesome ending or steel myself for disappointment?
I had misgivings about the direction the story started to move in towards the latter part of the series, and I found the ending very underwhelming, which doesn't seem to be uncommon. I feel it leans on some things that were never really themes of the show, and isn't a very satisfying finish after all the things the series had done so well. :(
I'd be fascinated to hear your thoughts once you've finished it, though.

would you say it's a show couples would like after everything in the show though?
Hmmm... I can see it as having that appeal, yeah. The whole idea of the one-winged Jian bird that was introduced in the series' opening narration, where the male and female have to lean on each other to be able to take flight is something really touching; the show's main theme is the bond between two people, after all.

I think the tone of the ending is very off-putting, though.
Hiro and Zero Two both express the desire to become one and the same person.
I can't relate to that at all. In fact, I find it pretty disturbing! Personally.

On the same question of whether or not FRANXX is a couples' show, Dr Franxx's casual groping of Nana in the opening episode is highly unfortunate. It's intended as cheeky "comedy", as well. :rolleyes:

virtually nothing is known about them, the enemy in Franxx provides the final conflict but then again there is nothing known about them, the anti spiral in lagaan was more developed
I found myself thinking this too. The Anti-Spiral race have very much their own MO for what they're doing; FRANXX's equivalent, not really. Theirs is more of a half-baked Human Instrumentality Project torn straight out of Evangelion.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean, I think it's a great series. I lost count of the number of episodes that had me close to tears, or actually in tears; it's really impactful. It's just that the ending's pretty limp. :(
I’ll bear it in mind and not expect a mind blowing end. Until then I’ll enjoy the ride.

I'd say with FranXX that it's solid up until the last arc, that's where it squanders its opportunities.
I totally agree with that. I'm really not sure it needed that last big plot twist.

It didn't need to try to "go big", when it could've just stuck to what it already did so well — you know, the things that made FRANXX FRANXX.

Back