Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

Tiger & Bunny is another prime example. Kaze's release was across 4 discs - 4 BD25s to be exact - with 2.99gb episodes...
Viz on the other hand used 4 BD 50s with 5.5gb episodes, albeit with messed up gamma and potentially used the broadcast materials rather than Home Video.
Wait, what?

Wait, what?
Unlike every release from every other distributor, the episode cuts don't match up to the Japanese BD. For example the fade outs where the sponsor logos would've been displayed last way longer on the Viz BD. It was also released back in that period where Viz used the Broadcast materials for their Blu-ray releases. Can't comment on compression as it's been years since I looked at my discs. I've long since replaced them with the Japanese BD Box.

I actually don't mind the look of the box and it's chipboard and looks sturdy, what annoyed about the US set was cardboard front cover just makes it feel cheap even though it had great artwork.

Hopefully the Kaze version is a decent release like One Punch Man

Last edited:
Tiger & Bunny is another prime example. Kaze's release was across 4 discs - 4 BD25s to be exact - with 2.99gb episodes...
Viz on the other hand used 4 BD 50s with 5.5gb episodes, albeit with messed up gamma and potentially used the broadcast materials rather than Home Video.

Thank you for that warning about Tiger & Bunny, I was going to eventually buy the series since I got the movies from Anime ltd. Will be looking towards the JP box set instead now.

Unlike every release from every other distributor, the episode cuts don't match up to the Japanese BD. For example the fade outs where the sponsor logos would've been displayed last way longer on the Viz BD. It was also released back in that period where Viz used the Broadcast materials for their Blu-ray releases. Can't comment on compression as it's been years since I looked at my discs. I've long since replaced them with the Japanese BD Box.
Just took a look at the Viz Blu-ray. Appears to be based on home video materials.

Viz Blu-ray:
https://i.imgur.com/8075RDq.png
https://i.imgur.com/5Vc63SC.png
https://i.imgur.com/qFjvb5i.png

TV vs BD:
iGJYbQm.jpg

I suppose both of those versions are only the TV episodes? Still no chance for the OVAs and mini movies? =X

Last edited:
Apropos; is the image quality any better than the old AV one? Still have the old German DVDs (which I think are probably shared discs with the UK, since the English dub is on it, too?), but watching it on my PC on VLC was not the looking the greatest possible...
(And those weird (intentional?) line grains (?) on the picture make it only worse. =/)

Apropos; is the image quality any better than the old AV one? Still have the old German DVDs (which I think are probably shared discs with the UK, since the English dub is on it, too?), but watching it on my PC on VLC was not the looking the greatest possible...
(And those weird (intentional?) line grains (?) on the picture make it only worse. =/)

I suspect they're using the same masters as the 2017 ADV re-release. Just the main 13 episodes and not the other episodes/films released ~ though if AL wanted to they could get it a later point if this sells enough.

81rLis34QcL._SL1500_.jpg

81z25aiRzAL._SL1280_.jpg

I really, really want to get excited about Kino's Journey being re-released but yeah, there's nothing new for me here. Guess I can be happy for people picking it up for the first time though.

Does anyone know the episode distribution of AoT s2? Is the stupid 9 episodes on 1 disk + rest and extras on the 2nd?
More than likely. Btw that episode distribution is done to reduce costs as it enables the use of a bd25 for the second disc instead of requiring another bd50.

Back