Luna’s Adventures in English

woo
VERB
wooed (past tense) · wooed (past participle)
  1. try to gain the love of (a woman), especially with a view to marriage:
    "he wooed her with quotes from Shakespeare"
  2. seek the favour, support, or custom of:
    "pop stars are being wooed by film companies eager to sign them up"

Got another one~

rejuvenating cure - How does this get used casually in English?
Like say something nice happens to somebody and a friend wants to express that said event gave the person a
rejuvenating cure.
Do you just say "<Event> made him look 10 years younger?" How to put that without a (somewhat) clear cut number?

rejuvenating cure - How does this get used casually in English?

It doesn't. It sounds like the sort of phrase that would only ever be used in adverts or product names. Indeed in a google search for the term (which has a mere 28100 results) it takes me until the 5th page to get something that is neither a translation site nor an advert nor a product name

Another one that baffled me a bit.

Words of the 90s: Fly Slang That Should Be Used Today - Everything After Z by Dictionary.com
Giving the props is really a thing of the 90ties generation? Not used anymore? Really? oo

Words of the 90s: Fly Slang That Should Be Used Today - Everything After Z by Dictionary.com
I learned it that expression from the English dub of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children when Ghost Aeris is adminishing emo Cloud. I thought it was normal juvenile speech. Wouldn't have expected it to be from a US sitcom. But It's dead, nowadays, too? o.o

I always presumed "yada, yada, yada" was another bit of Yiddish slang that just entered common usage like so much else has (probably the fact it was Seinfeld that popularized it influenced that) but its origins seem under dispute.

I think saying "props to him/her" has just entered the general English lexicon, I have no idea when it originated but it's definitely still in use.

This is one of my favourite threads in this forum and everything, but... any chance we could maybe have an apostrophe in the title? You know, for the sake of the punctuation sticklers?

(A "stickler" is someone who's fussy about something. ;))

This is one of my favourite threads in this forum and everything, but... any chance we could maybe have an apostrophe in the title? You know, for the sake of the punctuation sticklers?

(A "stickler" is someone who's fussy about something. ;))

Only if it’s in the wrong place so it bugs people more! :p

I've been thinking about that myself. But then, I felt like there must surely be some hidden intention behind it I didn't see. So... There wasn't?

Back