UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Sorry to break the Your Name mourning, but I'm a bit in fangirling mode right now, after just discovering the unboxing post for Hyouka.
(I'm actually a bit surprised that the Hyouka CE didn't make so much of a splash. oo)
I was pretty over the moon about it including the artwork of the Japanese regular BDs and their box illustrations. Expecially I was already prepared to get them from Japan, just for the artwork. (And I even already have the Japanese BD Complete Box and the Funi releases.) And it absolutely looks better than the rather lackluster Japanese packaging~ So totally props to that~
(The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the outer box backcover illustration choice, since two of the girls aren't from the main cast. Poor Satoshi got ditched out.)

Aw you :3! The splash is it's not officially out yet to be fair there which is why it's taking a while...

The rear illustration is is because I like showing the non main cast too, it's a thing I do sometimes especially when I love the designs of the characters (and I totally do for KyoAni)!

Is there any chance of a booklet or whatever way to include the artwork from the japanese DVD releases?

Fear not, we're planning a book with Part 2, takes time to plan that kind of thing though as I have a LOT of material to work from here so stay tuned on that frontier :).

Best,

Andrew

Any release for us is special as it’s for you the fans - without you most titles would travel nowhere. Your Name is important for the community as it’s helped convince UK cinemas to start taking the medium seriously and give you good people the chance to see these films where they belong.

With all the effort that’s gone into the release so far it’s vital for us that the home entertainment is also a success, commercially and critically for the anime community. Without the commercial side we can’t exist and to that end deadlines have to be met but we have thrown every available hour to try and make this as perfect as we can.

Sales wise you're looking at a mass market title here, which means once the date was set - we had to make it no matter what. When the master came in, we had to hit print that day or miss all the supermarket orders (which were big) and lose a huge amount of money (tens of thousands at a minimum).

Now it is not unreasonable for us when we receive a master from a company like Madman (or Funimation) to do basic spot checks, verify the region code is OK and expect that a full QC has been done prior to upload. Any other company we receive masters from do go through a full QC ourselves even on tight turnaround but in this case we put a hell of a lot of work into the book translation & editing which ate up QC time and we expected the same in return on the discs.

I note several people seemingly expect us to fully QC the discs again - but I'd stress that very often other companies don't even spot check the discs to ensure they run. There's a reason several releases from other companies have been recalled because nobody has checked the discs are the right region for example. The point is no matter how much you QC someone else's disc (or your own) stuff can slip through and in this case our QC team was focussed on the part of the release we were delivering.

I sincerely regret that you’ve cancelled your order - we said as soon as we were back we would look at the discs and we have and I'm about to post something longer about it - the conclusion being that the audio is not defective but that the video is not up to ours and committed anime fans standards, as I explain below, I will informally be offering fans the chance to replace for the next pressing. So in short for now you can enjoy a disc that the mass market would think is fine - as would most distributors - knowing that you can return it once we do our next pressing for something even better - we cannot do any more than that.

You have to understand that on such a wide-spread title unless the disc is literally frying your BD player ala When Marnie Was There that no company can do free replacements for everyone because while not up to the AL standard ala A Silent Voice, it also isn't faulty. Every time we have done a replacement scheme it has been because of an actual defect that has hindered enjoyment of a show and been outwith standard viewing aka:
  • Cowboy Bebop (2013, replaced 2014) - Visual glitches due to capture errors on Part 1. This impaired the experience to watch and was not in the original master and while small errors, we replaced them as respect for those who supported us on our first release ever and set a good pattern in my opinion for which frankly I have only ever received grief for (this latest burst says it all).
  • Durarara!!! (2014, replaced 2015) - Discs were botched in multiple ways by Siren at the time, we re-authored and replaced off our own back. Probably our most expensive replacement scheme by the by too.
  • Gurren Lagann digipacks (2014) - This was an issue completely outside our hands which was frustrating after the delays in approval. This resulted in an entire printer being blacklisted by our production company actually. Probably the one we feel worst about still as it was never really resolved in terms of a fix except for a chunky voucher for the store.
  • Kill la Kill Part 1 (2014, replaced 2014) - Small audio desynchronisation issue found at MCM Comic Con time. We replaced this within the same year again for anyone impacted.
  • Kill la Kill Part 3 (2015, replaced 2015) - Box issue with tightness found at MCM Comic Con. We replaced this within the same year for anyone impacted).
  • Escaflowne (2016, replaced 2016) - Issue on an episode not being rendered properly for BD that manifested only on the final BD so we replaced that to ensure nobody's experience was ruined.
  • Your Lie in April Part 1 (2016, replaced 2017) - Issue on soft touch cover and soft touch inner making the box impossible to remove, revealing something nobody knew about printing (inc the printers!) Was replaced as soon as we knew the fix!
Most of these errors would be ignored by most distributors until general fan outrage got too much but in basically every case we've gone and pushed for it from Day 1 of a problem. Frankly speaking that's probably our biggest corporate ‘commercial hat on’ failing too but personally it's something I am proud of. Actually in terms of mistakes, I'm pretty confident we have no more than our largest competitors in the UK - the only difference is we talk about them, own them, build on them and try to do right by you. For that - we generally get what you witnessed this time.

You don't see the general public bemoan Studiocanal for example when they release a Ghibli BD with less than 100% perfect quality for example. I remain proud of our supporting the fans with the best possible product even when problems crop up. It's an occupational hazard for us as we output the largest volume of collector's products in the UK for anime and will keep doing so - with your support.

As a result what I will do for fans is if they watch the Blu-Ray and are not satisfied is they can email us at [email protected] with a subject line of YOUR NAME - BLU-RAY and write us a (polite and short) email saying what your issue with the Blu-Ray is then we'll replace it with a disc using a fresh master when we get it in as we're going to make sure the video is improved for the second print run. You'll need to post us the disc back at your own cost and we'll replace it then at our own cost inc return shipping :).

It won't be a formal replacement scheme because simply put the discs do pass muster in general much like the Ghibli ones authored previously - but for us that's not good enough and anyone who feels aggrieved we'll do what we can for :). This release is special to me, I want it to be for you too, and especially for any videophile (like myself) who feels it isn't what they expected, let us see what we can do to warm your heart to it :).

Best,

Andrew
Kudos for that response not many company's would do that at all

Thanks for the detailed reply @anime_andrew - very much appreciated. I'll give my discs a spin when I receive them, then decide if I need to give you a hard time :p.

(Speaking of Marnie, that was an interesting experience. My copy needed to be kept and left sealed as potential evidence in a mail-tampering investigation. So I had to ask StudioCanal's replicators if they'd let me keep the faulty discs, but send out a replacement anyway. They were so confused by the whole thing, but I did get my new disc!).

As a result what I will do for fans is if they watch the Blu-Ray and are not satisfied is they can email us at [email protected] with a subject line of YOUR NAME - BLU-RAY and write us a (polite and short) email saying what your issue with the Blu-Ray is then we'll replace it with a disc using a fresh master when we get it in as we're going to make sure the video is improved for the second print run. You'll need to post us the disc back at your own cost and we'll replace it then at our own cost inc return shipping :).

It won't be a formal replacement scheme because simply put the discs do pass muster in general much like the Ghibli ones authored previously - but for us that's not good enough and anyone who feels aggrieved we'll do what we can for :). This release is special to me, I want it to be for you too, and especially for any videophile (like myself) who feels it isn't what they expected, let us see what we can do to warm your heart to it :).

Best,

Andrew

Just wanted to say thank you for offering a replacement for this title. I honestly was not expecting this to happen for a long while. As I am part of the hardcore community I will of course request the replacement (as that video quality really was something in my opinion, but I do agree that it's a 'disappointment' in terms of the defect thread result). It's worth pointing out that my current living situation is up in the air, so I hope that you will let us customers know with an option to change our address locations once the replacement disc production is complete [I bring this point up because I was amazed that my Your Lie in April Part 1 box ended up at my home address rather than my University address back then when the Part 1 order was sent to the latter, no issues ofc].

@anime_andrew Great response Andrew :)

A question if you don't mind. I strongly suspect I know the answer given how close it is, but it's worth asking for clarification all the same. The Your Name - Ltd Deluxe Edition isn't due till the end of the month: Your Name - Ltd Deluxe Edition, I assume that will be original pressing and not held for the next run? I'm also guessing there will be no further runs of the Deluxe Edition once they're gone? (i.e. if folk want the deluxe they need to get it now).

Last edited:
Damn, let me wash the egg off my face on this one then. I really didn't expect much to be done on this one as I assume it's a pretty big print run and most people just ain't gonna care/notice. I'll stick with the DE then and hopefully by the time I get around to actually watching it (I'm very slow, still not watched Letter to Momo...) the new discs will have arrived. I can't imagine how annoying it must be for you to take this hit when it wasn't your fault, but I very much appreciate you doing it.

Great response Andrew :)

A question if you don't mind. I strongly suspect I know the answer given how close it is, but it's worth asking for clarification all the same. The Your Name - Ltd Deluxe Edition isn't due till the end of the month: Your Name - Ltd Deluxe Edition, I assume that will be original pressing and not held for the next run? I'm also guessing there will be no further runs of the Deluxe Edition once they're gone? (i.e. if folk want the ultimate they need to get it now).

Correct on both counts. Note we do hope to do a true Ultimate down the line though (not within the next year or two though).

@anime_andrew
I always intended to keep my Deluxe Edition pre-order because of the book and hoped, if the problem was truly awful, that something along the lines of what's been offered came to be, so thank you. Having said that I've recently watched the vast majority of the Ghibli Collection and didn't see much wrong so I may not actually notice anything :)
One question, did you get the other extra approved? If not can you say what it was going to be?

Plus When Marnie Was There! What happened there? I assume I have a copy where this problem has been fixed, as my PS4 seems fine.

Back