UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Firstly - love the steelbook proof we had in here - it uses a lovely gloss and the white layers are just perfect on it so I think folks won't be upset when they see the final piece.

Secondly - there's not much official keyart to work from and having seen the other keyart used on the Amazon JP Steelbook I can safely say this was the better choice now.

Re AL LE - Yes, we're doing one, just hasn't been listed yet as it'll come a little after November 6th (still before Christmas in the UK). There'll be more details forthcoming when it exits approval as I don't want to waste people's times on hypotheticals until it's signed off :). There's a lot more pages in the book than the US one (just over double) as we translated the interviews etc too.

Will be cheaper than the Funimation one on SRP, likely to be lower on actual sales price at retail too by the by.

Best,

AP

Well that's one hurdle sorted. There is however the question regarding the original soundtrack. Funimation have both versions - the Japanese voiced version and the English voiced version on 2 discs. I'm guessing you only have the rights to the Japanese voiced version then?

Firstly - love the steelbook proof we had in here - it uses a lovely gloss and the white layers are just perfect on it so I think folks won't be upset when they see the final piece.

Secondly - there's not much official keyart to work from and having seen the other keyart used on the Amazon JP Steelbook I can safely say this was the better choice now.

Re AL LE - Yes, we're doing one, just hasn't been listed yet as it'll come a little after November 6th (still before Christmas in the UK). There'll be more details forthcoming when it exits approval as I don't want to waste people's times on hypotheticals until it's signed off :). There's a lot more pages in the book than the US one (just over double) as we translated the interviews etc too.

Will be cheaper than the Funimation one on SRP, likely to be lower on actual sales price at retail too by the by.

Best,

AP
Fair enough, I mean I personally love the art used on the Japanese Steelbook but to each their own (tbh if it was me the steelbook would be white with Your Name on the front, cause I'm boring like that :p)

I'll hold off and see what you do for a CE before I decide then.

I currently have the Anime Limited CE locked in on Amazon for £20, as well as the steelbook on Zavvi for £25 ... I really like the look of the steelbook too. Hmm ... decisions, decisions ...
The CE on Amazon is the same as the steelbook on Zavvi as far as I'm aware.

Speaking of artwork, you know what could have been cool? Using the inside of the Japanese steelbook, as our outside (then just have the title treatment in the space opposite Mitsuha's head):
your-name-3-jpg.312081

I love the key art used for the Japanese steelbook's exterior, but agree that it may not look the best as a steelbook.

Even the steelbook packaging, or is there another CE with different outer packaging @anime_andrew?

Fair enough, I mean I personally love the art used on the Japanese Steelbook but to each their own (tbh if it was me the steelbook would be white with Your Name on the front, cause I'm boring like that :p)

I'll hold off and see what you do for a CE before I decide then.

You can love the artwork, but the end result just did not come out well I am afraid. The image was not optimal - it's the ephemeral mist that loans itself better to rigid artwork. So if you like it, you may well like the AL LE version *cough cough*.

Correct :)!

AP

I was already buying both the steelbook and LE, but I really hope this whole "standard before the LE" thing doesn't become the norm. We've not really had standard BDs the same time as LEs thus far, and now there's two standards before CEs announced in the space of a week.

Speaking of artwork, you know what could have been cool? Using the inside of the Japanese steelbook, as our outside (then just have the title treatment in the space opposite Mitsuha's head):
your-name-3-jpg.312081

I love the key art used for the Japanese steelbook's exterior, but agree that it may not look the best as a steelbook.

That artwork is not available for use in packaging for us - only in the booklet so that's that I am afraid. Like I say, the rights holders have been very fair on what everyone else gets to use so we all have the same tools to work from (for better and for worse). Besides that image would be super tough for a steelbook due to the print, you'd get loads of white space on front and back with the spine muddled due to the Your Name logo etc as well :(.

Even the steelbook packaging, or is there another CE with different outer packaging @anime_andrew?

There will be a different LE (more of a Deluxe version) which is more like our standard Collector's with more stuff in it - but limited in quantity. Like I say, more information to follow when we pass approval :).

I was already buying both the steelbook and LE, but I really hope this whole "standard before the LE" thing doesn't become the norm. We've not really had standard BDs the same time as LEs thus far, and now there's two standards before CEs announced in the space of a week.

Well the Collector's is out as well then - keep in mind we're making it at peak Christmas times so I want realistic deadlines.

As we only got the book now we had to choose either do what Funimation are and decrease the pages to use only the art assets or go all out and delay the Deluxe SKU by a few weeks. I think you'd agree it's worth it :).

AP

So basically I'm compiling this info as:

Anime Limited:
  • Blu-ray & DVD
  • Original Soundtrack from RADWIMPS (Japanese Version)
  • Artbook
    • "There's a lot more pages in the book than the US one (just over double) as we translated the interviews etc too."
  • Chipboard Box
  • Digipack
  • Cheaper than Funimation's SRP
Funimation:
  • Blu-ray & DVD
  • Original Soundtrack from RADWIMPS (English & Japanese Versions)
  • 60-page Hardcover Artbook
  • Chipboard Box: Two-piece double-sided collectable with rainbow holographic finish
  • Digipack
  • SRP $84.98 [£67.99]
Regarding the English OST version, it's apparently 4 tracks on a disc that you can get for 2232 Yen on Amazon Japan (price includes shipping, no VAT).

So basically I'm compiling this info as:

Anime Limited:
  • Blu-ray & DVD
  • Original Soundtrack from RADWIMPS (Japanese Version)
  • Artbook
    • "There's a lot more pages in the book than the US one (just over double) as we translated the interviews etc too."
  • Chipboard Box
  • Digipack
  • Cheaper than Funimation's SRP
This sounds good to me so here's hoping.

On an unrelated note, just got my shipping confirmation email for Nadesico.

Team AL, if you could throw together a blog post at some point setting out exactly what is in which of your Your Name versions it would be very much appreciated as I am personally struggling to keep track! I know I want to own it (and possibly gift a few copies to family members) but I need a recap episode on this release ;)

R

The visual for the Korean set of A silent voice is up and it's awesome (same visual as Japan) I hope @anime ed will be at the same level of quality.
MH8fpAhl.jpg

Best,

AP

Currently got the Collector's Edition on preorder with Amazon because of the price, but I'll probably switch my order to the LE to get the book. I'll have to see if Amazon have a good price for it, but I expect you'll do an early bird preorder deal for it. Looking forward to finding out all the details. Will it have what's in the Collector's Edition plus more (a book a least)?

Back