UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I don't think Anime Limited will be attending MCM this weekend as I had a look at the Show Guide, they're nowhere to be seen. Jeremy seems to be going though.

We won't be there exhibiting this weekend.

Also I can confirm I won't be there either; without going into details it has been quite a week for me personally so am taking a much needed few days off. Sorry to anyone who was expecting me to be there :(

Also I can confirm I won't be there either; without going into details it has been quite a week for me personally so am taking a much needed few days off. Sorry to anyone who was expecting me to be there :(

No worries I'm aware of what's been happening.
also have fun going to see Gojira perform ;)

Still it gives me more freedom to choose what sort of stuff I'll get tomorrow.

Has the newswire just died a death then? Or has it been moved to a monthly thing?

Nope it hasn't died a death at all. Without boring you with info, they take a lot of time to write and put together and there's been so much else going on recently at HQ, including me doing a lot of time intensive QC on upcoming releases, that I simply haven't had time to write one for (what somehow has now been) a month. (Is also why there hasn't been a podcast for a while either.)

Am hoping to get one up next week though and all going well back on some kind of regular schedule following that. If anything am aiming for it be a fortnightly venture :)
Hope that helps.

Not to worry, was hoping to possibly pick up a few extra AL titles. I presume a fellow booth will have them (or at least I can save some cash!)
We all need a break sometimes!

I bloody hope so! I'm pretty sure that's what you would expect to pay in Japan (he says despite preordering it immediately).

Few points of order here and out the way for folks about A Silent Voice's LE:

A) Japanese price:
JPY price is £61.99 for the BD give or take just now so you're paying more there and that's with any discounts in mind, current pricing on Amazon is SRP not with any discount.

B) Consumer choice: Nobody has a gun to your head here to buy a Collector's Edition, I have produced a Standard Blu-Ray and a Standard DVD as well presenting full consumer choice here. I have a responsibility to my team to keep the lights on too and if we're to do something more special for this release, we'd need to charge more as you can guess :). See below though for if we don't (D).

C) Planning: If we charge £34.99 as normal, then if the cool stuff I hope comes up does, we can't leverage it for you because we'd lose money on the set so you get an inferior set. If for some reason the cool things we want to do are impossible in the end (always a risk), then we can lower the price and you save money. But I think folks who did this that are buying the Collector's want the best possible edition.

D) SRP: Amazon is charging SRP for now, pretty sure that will change but if it doesn't and we maintain the price to do something cool - then our own shop can and will offer a special early bird in due course when I have everything more concrete.

E) Release date: I'm sick to the back teeth of saying a date that is optimistic then something going wrong - I have named a date that we know we will hit and when I have it all in a viable configuration I will move the dates up. The big studios do this too - most memorably the likes of Marvel when their stuff is in cinemas and it makes sense to do so, you have a chance to lock your order in now and it moves up in due course so hang with us.

Quick point of interest on pricing too (not relevant to the price of the Collector's as we'd not strip this out from the standard nor make the Collector's subsidise the dub) but: You're getting an English dub with it before any US licensee (there genuinely isn't one hiding there yet). That costs a tonne of cash to create.

Interesting fact (my mind was jogged on the math when I saw people talking about pricing): If I printed 2000 copies of the Collector's edition right now at £49.99, did what we normally do for a film and nobody licensed it in the USA OR they didn't buy the dub from us to access then I'd need to sell all 2000 just to recoup that cost + production of a standard AL Collector's!

Alternatively if we release sub only I know for a fact we'll get huge complaints when a US dub comes along as people will be clamouring for that as well given the pedigree of the title (it's very different to the Miss Hokusai situation).

Hope this enlightens folks and certainly provides somewhere I can come copy & paste from later :D.

AP

A) Japanese price:
JPY price is £61.99 for the BD give or take just now so you're paying more there and that's with any discounts in mind, current pricing on Amazon is SRP not with any discount.

B) Consumer choice: Nobody has a gun to your head here to buy a Collector's Edition, I have produced a Standard Blu-Ray and a Standard DVD as well presenting full consumer choice here. I have a responsibility to my team to keep the lights on too and if we're to do something more special for this release, we'd need to charge more as you can guess :). See below though for if we don't (D).

C) Planning: If we charge £34.99 as normal, then if the cool stuff I hope comes up does, we can't leverage it for you because we'd lose money on the set so you get an inferior set. If for some reason the cool things we want to do are impossible in the end (always a risk), then we can lower the price and you save money. But I think folks who did this that are buying the Collector's want the best possible edition.

D) SRP: Amazon is charging SRP for now, pretty sure that will change but if it doesn't and we maintain the price to do something cool - then our own shop can and will offer a special early bird in due course when I have everything more concrete.

E) Release date: I'm sick to the back teeth of saying a date that is optimistic then something going wrong - I have named a date that we know we will hit and when I have it all in a viable configuration I will move the dates up. The big studios do this too - most memorably the likes of Marvel when their stuff is in cinemas and it makes sense to do so, you have a chance to lock your order in now and it moves up in due course so hang with us.

Quick point of interest on pricing too (not relevant to the price of the Collector's as we'd not strip this out from the standard nor make the Collector's subsidise the dub) but: You're getting an English dub with it before any US licensee (there genuinely isn't one hiding there yet). That costs a tonne of cash to create.

Interesting fact (my mind was jogged on the math when I saw people talking about pricing): If I printed 2000 copies of the Collector's edition right now at £49.99, did what we normally do for a film and nobody licensed it in the USA OR they didn't buy the dub from us to access then I'd need to sell all 2000 just to recoup that cost + production of a standard AL Collector's!

Alternatively if we release sub only I know for a fact we'll get huge complaints when a US dub comes along as people will be clamouring for that as well given the pedigree of the title (it's very different to the Miss Hokusai situation).

Hope this enlightens folks and certainly provides somewhere I can come copy & paste from later :D.

AP

Out of curiosity, if the discs are ready to go, would you consider releasing the standard edition first, even if the LE has stuff that means it'd take more time, or would that cannibalise sales of the LE too much?

Out of curiosity, if the discs are ready to go, would you consider releasing the standard edition first, even if the LE has stuff that means it'd take more time, or would that cannibalise sales of the LE too much?

It'll all be at once, to punish people spending more makes no real sense to me - it's not about cannibalising as much as doing right by everyone :).

AP

It'll all be at once, to punish people spending more makes no real sense to me - it's not about cannibalising as much as doing right by everyone :).

AP

I did say I've preordered it regardless. :D I'm a little intrigued as to what a movie CE with that SRP will look like. Now that you've mentioned "cool stuff", I don't think I could bring myself to go for the standard box. :D

I did say I've preordered it regardless. :D I'm a little intrigued as to what a movie CE with that SRP will look like. Now that you've mentioned "cool stuff", I don't think I could bring myself to go for the standard box. :D

Fear not, didn't take it as an assault, just wanted to allay the points now as let's face it, they'll likely be repeated so I figured I'd give a clear POV on it now for folks :).

AP

Fear not, didn't take it as an assault, just wanted to allay the points now as let's face it, they'll likely be repeated so I figured I'd give a clear POV on it now for folks :).

AP

So Andrew on a different line of questions. Will our Overlord Release look the same in terms of art/design choices as the FUNi US set to prevent long delays with with approvals, or will the set look different.

Will AL be interested in picking up the Overlord Films that have recently aired in Japan?, or will that be through FUNimation if it does happen.

^ Also interested in the above.

I'd also just like to say that I'm reallly looking forward to your eventual March comes in like a Lion release. Knowing we will have a release regardless of what the US do is a huge relief.

A) Japanese price:

AP

So, this is £49.99 SRP for a typical AL Collectors edition, or is there something super special about it?

So, this is £49.99 SRP for a typical AL Collectors edition, or is there something super special about it?

Of course not for a standard collector's - dubbing it is our choice and wouldn't impact a Collector's Edition as we'd not tax those spending more for something the standard versions get too :).

Two scenarios as I covered:

A) We get what I want and the price holds.

B) We don't and we revise pricing appropriately to the same level as usual :).

Hope this makes it clearer!

Best,

Andrew

Thank you for clarifying this Andrew, I will pretty much be blind buying ASV as the film was'nt shown in a cinema near me. Very much looking forward to watching and owning this. I think the fact you are dubbing it yourselves pretty much explains the price. Im sure it will get a US release at some point given the positive reaction its had over here.

I hope the placeholder on Amazon is overly cautious as I very much want to watch it as soon as possible but I will be pre ordering as soon as its on AOL.

I think the fact you are dubbing it yourselves pretty much explains the price.e.
I mean he literally just said that he wouldn't have the CE subsidise the dub, so I can't imagine that has much to do with the price.

Gotta admit the idea of paying £50 for a film seems utterly ridiculous to me (of course we'll see what discounts are available elsewhere) but I can't help be completely intrigued by it...Like, what could be included to justify such a number? I'll try not bitch about it until I see what's actually included.....try that is... :p

Back