The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Avex Pictures, the production company behind Yuri!!! On Ice, Osomatsu-san, Assassination Classroom and others, is restricting imports of their DVD/BD/CDs from tomorrow. @Rui - have you completed your Osomatsu collection?

What a stupid thing to do. Though Sony have been restricting things for years and I still have a Japanese PS4 with Japanese-only PS4 games library, together with a Japanese Vita and a Japanese Vita TV.

I can somewhat understand restricting the video content (even though it's dumb) but CDs have never once been region locked and there are no viable alternatives other than piracy for the vast majority of anime discs. Are they nuts? Rhetorical question.

R

I understand them wanting to put restrictions on foreign companies selling their titles to people in Japan but putting restrictions on people buying their products outside of Japan just seems crazy. I wonder if they're planning on launching a sister company somewhere or if a foreign company has applied pressure on them.

There are a lot of examples of this. We've all had to deal with 'Japanese credit card only' shops, and region-locked digital content, and the major Sony blockade, and various deals where discs are exclusive to stores which only ship in Japan, and the fact that Oricon doesn't even count international sales as relevant to success. I won't be affected because I've already had to build up an elaborate network of grey import assistance and for shows I love (like Osomatsu-san) I buy the items from Japan-only vendors anyway to get the special Japan-only bonus items. But these deals hamper people who are just starting out importing and encourage them towards piracy instead, which does nothing but hurt the industry.

It upsets me because we need to be drilling that idea into Japanese executives' heads unanimously, yet instead they get a slew of mixed messages from their corporate partners overseas. Every time a UK distributor complains to the production companies that UK customers are importing Japanese editions rather than waiting for the crippled (in comparison) UK release, it legitimises strategies like this to control our purchasing. Customers should be able to choose for themselves whether they want the wallet-friendly, English-friendly UK release or the pricey import (many importers buy both). We shouldn't have it forced on us. Because my personality is so defective it just makes me want to evade the restrictions all the more when that happens; then I troll them by sending in the comment cards with my filthy foreign details and feedback ^^;

R

Amazon JP has already enforced so no skating OST ( physically ) for me
Makes me glad I got it when it was first released.

I think proxy sites are going to be doing quite well when the restrictions apply. Luckily for me I wouldn't be getting any of the Avex BD titles as they don't have English subtitles. I need to see what soundtracks/cds will be affected

If it's avex then amiami will have the restrictions. Not sure about Solaris Japan as they also sell pre-owned stuff. If all else fails you can use a proxy service.

From the email @thedoctor2016 shown me: "This restriction has been applied to all online shops within Japan, including CDJapan".

So basically, try and find places not based in Japan that have acquired them through grey channels?

New photos of the upcoming Criterion UK release of Lone Wolf & Cub Blu-ray collection:

91sbMCkeLmL._SL1500_.jpg

91qAU13P7jL._SL1500_.jpg

91WANrY7c%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

91Y5N6s4PLL._SL1500_.jpg

In other news (and because I couldn't see a relevant thread in the anime industry discussion section) someone has reported over on TFP that someone over on the blu-ray.com forums already has the ghost in the shell stand alone complex blu-rays and all is not good as they only come with dubtitles along with a few other issues.

Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

I'll link directly to the post on blu-ray.com instead of going to the middle man.

In other news (and because I couldn't see a relevant thread in the anime industry discussion section) someone has reported over on TFP that someone over on the blu-ray.com forums already has the ghost in the shell stand alone complex blu-rays and all is not good as they only come with dubtitles along with a few other issues.

Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

I'll link directly to the post on blu-ray.com instead of going to the middle man.
It was posted in the Manga Animatsu thread.

Back