The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Hot take: maybe he shouldn't.

I feel like the medium will never escape his shadow if he doesn't hang up his gun and stick to it.
That's not a hot take. Ghibli is effectively dead now. With him refusing to leave, they won't ever give anybody the space and freedom to take over, just as they haven't in the past. Ghibli is dead, and Miyazaki it's killer.

At one point, there was talk of a member of Ghibli staff being a complete monster to work with. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought people were assuming that was Miyazaki.

Last edited:
Hot take: maybe he shouldn't.

I feel like the medium will never escape his shadow if he doesn't hang up his gun and stick to it.
Has it ever actually been in his shadow in Japan though? In the West perhaps it is, but we don't produce anime so does that really matter? Japan produce metric tons of the stuff yearly which isn't particularly Miyazaki influenced and which the man himself probably hates.

"We set out to try and understand why it took a privileged country, like Japan, so long to come to this conclusion."
Gee I dunno, maybe it's like they're a completely different society and culture to ours with a very different history, and in the modern world where we're no longer a colonial power we don't get to impose our cultural imperialism on them or something. Which it looks like we're still trying to do if this is going to talk about lolicon.

Thought-crime is a thing in the UK now, why aren't you prosecuting people for thought-crime too, Japan?

Actual child abuse and prostitution is pretty grim, but I'm not sure the cause of ending it is best served by a British journalist going out there to judge Japan. Would our government take any notice of a Japanese journalist who came here to do a documentary about how our ban on lolicon manga was backwards censorship of artists? Would we take notice of an American journalist who came here to do a documentary about how our age of consent isn't 18 and therefore we're abusing children?

Perhaps this lady's cause would have been better served looking into the friendship between Jimmy Savile and Margaret Thatcher and the royal family, and how Leon Brittan managed to lose Geoffrey Dickens' dossier, things that unbelievably (or perhaps not) no-one in the media seems to care about. Our country is far from innocent in these matters.

In a move that will surprise nobody, but delight @Rui, a Japanese retailer has accidentally leaked news of a Mr. Osomatsu season 2, or more specifically it's announcement episode.

:D

I never saw the leaked information on Rakuten while it was there (it seems to have been corrected back to the 'other content' text rather than the full description now) but this had better be true. I feel like there can be no other reason for the big push they're giving the series next month. Woohoo.

On a related note, on the offchance that anyone else is worried (...) I preordered the Osomatsu-san Kobanashi Atsume BD successfully from Amazon Japan this morning despite it being an Avex Pictures release. I await my cancellation notice with eager anticipation.

R

Back