Your viewing journal

mangaman74 said:
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Episodes 3 - 5
How are you surviving.
Even I find the original MGLN hardgoing due to the toraheart 3 crossover bits.
Why do I have to know her parents/ brother are at it, why!! :?

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko ep 1 - yup, SHAFT unsurprisingly nailed it, for me. Just the right amount of SHAFTiness, as seems typical of their most recent efforts, and the quality of the original material was not in doubt.

keeping up with the new season:

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 3
The voice acting in this is great - loving the character interactions too. Get the feeling the first story arc has been finished now, and I'm genuinely interested to find out how they deal with the whole ammnesia angle/Erio's possible return to school.

A-Channel 4
I know this show is trying very hard to be a comedy, and though I smile occasionally this is mostly due it being pleasent rather than being funny. Tooru's interaction with Yutaka and Miho being the exception so far. Voice acting and day-to-day slice of life keep me watching though, so it must be doing something right.

Hidan no Aria 3
Rie Kugimiya as the voice of Aria was predictable- I've nothing against this, its just that I immediately associate any chara voiced by her with Shana and Nagi (and Taiga and...man, she has been type cast, hasn't she?), and it colours my view of the show. The plot, despite being fairly predictable (using that word far too much), is predicatable in a positive way, rescue episode next, where Kinji can overcome his fears and be all manly - mending their relationship and giving the romantic angle a push in the process, and I'm enjoying the developments as they occur.

Nichijou 5

This show just has to keep on doing what its doing. Very funny and enjoyable - character reactions (espeacially Yuuko's) have been one of the many positives to the series and I'm looking forward to the next ep.

Now for some Cromartie High School...short episode goodness aids in procrastination...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maison Ikkoku ep 6-10

Continues to be thoroughly charming. I thought the handling of Godai's drunken attempt to get off with Kyoko was a bit dubious (I doubt that would go down the same way in a more contemporary series), but it was a very minor blip. The beach episode was a particular highlight, again diffusing what could have been a horrible cliche with some nice comic moments from Mitaka's relationship with the dog and Kyoko's horrendous driving.

A few more ep 1s from the new season watched over the last few days:

[C] - obvious potential, especially in Kimimaro's "time to kill someone" face when he sees Hanabi's boyfriend, but I don't love the fact that he seems to have been essentially hypnotized/forcibly coerced into taking the "deal".

Deadman Wonderland - well ****. This show doesn't mess about! A quite spectacular first ep, but I'm not entirely hopeful that it will stay fresh and original after the "transformation".

Tiger & Bunny - slick and entertaining, but waiting for things to go Horribly Wrong to see where the real potential in the show is.

MoshiDora - this couldn't be any more in the middle of my strike zone (see what I did there) if it tried. Love baseball, love baseball anime, and so far loving the main character.

Dororon Enma-kun Meramera - some hilarious classic Nagai touches, and some hilariously disgusting ones, but the show pretty much delivers on its premise and pedigree.

Dog Days - brainlessly diverting, but fairly likely to get dropped with the number of shows about this season. Set-up is so incredibly blah.

Ao no Exorcist - don't really like the main character, might improve as they bring in more of "the gang" as with most similar shounen series.

Denpa Onna - just the right amount of SHAFTiness added to the great source material = guaranteed import for me.

Kaiji S2 - zawa~ zawa~. It's Kaiji.

A-Channel - like someone else said, all this is trying to be is cute girls doing cute things. But, for me, that's easily enough! Lovely show, very easy to watch. Tooru/Azunyan and her long sleeves is the "obvious" choice for most awesome, but personally I like Yuuko/Mio the best.

Jambo said:
Hidan no Aria 3
Rie Kugimiya as the voice of Aria was predictable- I've nothing against this, its just that I immediately associate any chara voiced by her with Shana and Nagi (and Taiga and...man, she has been type cast, hasn't she?), and it colours my view of the show.
Did you watch Dragon Crisis? It pretty much ruins that show entirely. You know, if it hadn't been a bit **** to begin with.

I tried to like that show, I really did, and watched the first six eps...but yeah, there were many reasons it was not so great - the voice acting for Rose being among them.

In the right place it works (thought Toradora's entire cast was pretty good for example, and Taiga espeacially), but it gets trotted out so often now (she is voicing both Aria and Lotte this season alone) and for such similar characters (Tsundere) that it is starting to become a bit much.

Having said that, her work on Gintama is damn good and proves that she can do more than just the above.

Hanasaku Iroha episode 5 - While there is some great character development here, it also gives us a predictable episode that has been done many times before; however it didn't take away from Ohana's performance throughout it.

Astarotte's Toy episode 4 - I still can't believe this but it's still gaining my attention. While the series still relies on fan-service & couple of cliches, it doesn't rely heavily on them compared to other shows in the same genre.

It ends in an interesting cliffhanger that I would like to know more about. It's certainly better than other show's this season in my opinion.

Mariaholic Alive episode 4 - SHAFT seems to be referencing everything this season: while Denpa is on the side of Sci-Fi (Back To The Future, E.T) Mariaholic is more random.

This episode carries on to the last, which throws this episode into a court case, loved the Phoenix Wright jokes and lame puns. Still enjoying it immensely.

There also a Madoka Magica short at the end, that was awesome! /SHAFTfanboy

(re-watch)Nobody's Boy:Remi-46-51,no matter how many times i watch this it always has the same emotional impact it had the first time i watched,truly a masterpiece that gets better with age.

Jambo said:
Hidan no Aria 3
Rie Kugimiya as the voice of Aria was predictable- I've nothing against this, its just that I immediately associate any chara voiced by her with Shana and Nagi (and Taiga and...man, she has been type cast, hasn't she?)
Not totaly baring in mind he biggest role was Alphonse Elric, who realy doesn't fit the stereotype.
Kagura (gintama) Shannon (umineko), asuming her Queens Blade character. She does get some other roles..

heres my journal

we lets see
its gose like this
i started watching dragonball z *one disc a day* untill iv reached the end of the series.
then ii watch 3 or 4 of my news anime series iv brought during the time iv watched dragon ball z *one disc a day*
then i watch naruto from the beginning up to the latest dvds i brought for the series all in order from movies and series (im in the shippuden series now up to ep 52 ) *one disc a day*
then i watch new animes up to 3 or 4 of them * one disc a day *
and then i watch bleach from the beginning to the latest dvds i brought for the series
then i watch 3 or 4 more of my latest animes
and the i got back to dragon ball z then the cycle gose around again

the seasons why i watch one disc a day and go back to the beginning and go to the latest of naruto and bleach is i want the story to sink in and give the latest dvds for these series chance to come out and for me to but some new series along with them. i always wait to get a full series before watching one

@Reaper gI

I agree with you, I mentioned her work on Gintama in a later post:

Having said that, her work on Gintama is damn good and proves that she can do more than just the above.

It's just that a large proportion of the characters she voices, and the ones I tend to associate with her, are of a kind.

When you read a preview and see her as the voice of the main female lead you could generally place a safe bet that the character in question would fall into the bratty tsundere stereotype.

I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, just that it introduces a level of predictability that might not otherwise be there - there being plot devices that tend to be played out with this sort of chara.

Note: the word 'generally' - she does other work but I would suggest that when a cast is being drawn up for an anime and such a chara is needed the first name on the voice-actor list is going to be Rie Kugimiya.

(Opinions!)

Jambo said:
In the right place it works (thought Toradora's entire cast was pretty good for example, and Taiga espeacially)
Oh yes, definitely. It's the fact that it works so well in previous series that makes it weird in later ones.

Back