Your viewing journal

I can't control my undying love for Durarara!!. Every week it blows me away with its slick animation, great direction and complex writing (so many stories are going on!). This week, episode 11, gave some very intriguing developments but I have to say everything was made so much more awesome by: Miria and Issac arriving onto the scene. Every show should have them. It made me burst with laughter -- greatest characters ever.

As of right now, this is like... my favourite show ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also watched the first episode of Yozakura Quartet. Seems like it's going to be a really fun show. Great music, and absolutely awesome character designs (same guy who has now done the character designs for Durarara!!). Entertaining set-up, very likeable characters.

These bare bones releases really are bare bones - no insert, only clean OP/ED + [strike]ADV[/strike] Sentai previews for extras, and the DVD case (single case, two discs, one on each "side" of the case) really feels cheap. But it's a full 12 ep series for £18!

The show aired two years ago in Japan, and this is the first release of it of any sort in the West. I'm not a *really* old school fan back from the VHS era, but when I got into the fandom at the beginning of the DVD era, one cour series would run you £20 a disc for three or, most often, *four* discs. It's crazy how far anime has come in the US, and people still complain about prices!

ilmaestro said:
I also watched the first episode of Yozakura Quartet. Seems like it's going to be a really fun show. Great music, and absolutely awesome character designs (same guy who has now done the character designs for Durarara!!). Entertaining set-up, very likeable characters.

These bare bones releases really are bare bones - no insert, only clean OP/ED + [strike]ADV[/strike] Sentai previews for extras, and the DVD case (single case, two discs, one on each "side" of the case) really feels cheap. But it's a full 12 ep series for £18!

The show aired two years ago in Japan, and this is the first release of it of any sort in the West. I'm not a *really* old school fan back from the VHS era, but when I got into the fandom at the beginning of the DVD era, one cour series would run you £20 a disc for three or, most often, *four* discs. It's crazy how far anime has come in the US, and people still complain about prices!

Totally agree with you there. Bandai are still being a bit stingy on the episode count though (Gundam Unicorn on bluray - 1 episode per volume)

I finished off Soul Eater. I enjoyed it most of the way through, but I still feel some characters were left undeveloped. I am glad it is a 51 episode show as I think it could get stale if it went on too long.

First box set of Rental Magica. Not a bad show so far, however I can't help but feel I have seen much of what it is giving before.

I am still watching Chu-bra and Durarara both of which I am finding interesting and enjoyable even if Chu-Bra leaves me feeling awkward at times. I really can not wait for Durarara to get a DVD release I really hope it gets a good treatment.

Slayers Revolution. The old crew are back for a really enjoyable romp, it did however have a slightly more serious feel at times to the previous series'. The only disappointment I had was when it ended without quite finishing the story. I am now looking forward to the next series getting a DVD release.

Durarara!! 10 & 11.

Oh. My. Days. Anyone who saw this coming, could I please have this week's lottery numbers? Some of the best twisty narrative I've ever experienced, and I don't just mean recently, or just in anime. This is likely to end up on my "recommend to anyone I speak to" list.

Freya said:
Orihara Izaya...♥
Heh, this seems to be a not-unpopular sentiment on Japanese message boards, too.

Shakugan no Shana - V1 and V2
So far so good, I'd say it's 7/10.
The first few episodes of it were really nice, but it has too much unecessary moe/fanservice.

chaos said:
The first few episodes of it were really nice, but it has too much unecessary moe/fanservice.
The moe is it's main selling point (if Kugumin annoys you this show is also definatly not for you). There isn't too much fanservice, I think you passed most of it. It's a prety good shounen type plot overall.

Reaper gI said:
chaos said:
The moe is it's main selling point (if Kugumin annoys you this show is also definatly not for you). There isn't too much fanservice, I think you passed most of it. It's a prety good shounen type plot overall.
I see. When moe is there just an art style, but there is something solid behind, I don't mind. I've liked Haruhi a lot, for instance. But for Shana all it has so far was moe and fanservice.

There was an episode which the hightlight was to show Shana in her underwear. :/

That episode was the worst offender, except the pool ep.
Erm Haruhi is much worse, Mikuru was introduced by Haruhi attempting to rape her.
Moe isn't an artstyle. The moe bit of Shana is the lack of emotions and sense of self. It's characters where you think what would happen if they were placed in X situation. One you would watch the sequel to see what had happened to them. Moe characters are normally ones that cannot occur in the real world: cyborgs, animate dolls, astral projetcions, siblings(esp. twins) etc.

Back