Your viewing journal

Finished the Mobile Suit Gundam film trilogy. Ultimately a highly satisfying story. From seeing this, I'd happily believe that Yoshiyuki Tomino is more of an optimist than I would otherwise believe from the reputation he has gathered. From the Federation's perspective, this is primarily a tale of hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like 2/3 through Kino's Journey now, those two Coliseum episodes were nothing short of stunning, I couldn't stop smiling when that one guys dog started talking to Hermes So we have a talking bike and now this? I was actually surprised.

I also watched that episode of FMA the other day, I really disliked the episode with Pananya originally, but since this followed the manga this time around I'm glad I was proven wrong, new FMA has proven to me at least, it's superior to the original. Better music, fight scenes and pacing, the only thing the original has on it is the animation which fit perfectly like PB&J.

Started Mushi-Shi last night, still need to get the last two DVDs, so I'll be having quite a few slow enjoyable sessions killing time with this gem.

Lupus said:
Like 2/3 through Kino's Journey now, those two Coliseum episodes were nothing short of stunning, I couldn't stop smiling when that one guys dog started talking to Hermes So we have a talking bike and now this? I was actually surprised.

I also watched that episode of FMA the other day, I really disliked the episode with Pananya originally, but since this followed the manga this time around I'm glad I was proven wrong, new FMA has proven to me at least, it's superior to the original. Better music, fight scenes and pacing, the only thing the original has on it is the animation which fit perfectly like PB&J.

Started Mushi-Shi last night, still need to get the last two DVDs, so I'll be having quite a few slow enjoyable sessions killing time with this gem.
Some quality stuff there =) yeah, I really liked the coliseum episodes as well. The fact that you're enjoying Kino's Journey makes me belive you will enjoy mushishi a lot as well.

OT - Samurai Deeper Kyo - it's enjoyable enough.

In an attempt not to add to my huge backlog of awesome anime I own on DVD, I'm making every effort to actually watch whatever I buy at the moment.

Three of the titles I recently paid for are Black Blood Brothers, Ghost Hunt and Starship Operators. I paid £12 for the first, £10.50 for the second and £10.50 for the third - all new. So, if they all had turned out to be ****, I wouldn't have lost a great deal.

Black Blood Brothers: 1-4

Black Blood Brothers is your usual vampire story. There are old vampires who don't change those they bite into vampires and there are a newer type - Kowloon Children - who do change people into vampires when they bite them. The details of the plot and back-story of the main character are up in the air at the moment, but the main character, Jirio, is feared as the 'Silver Sword' (or something) and is trying to reach an area where old vampires and humans can coexist (for reasons unknown), together with his younger brother.

At the moment, I'm unsure what to think. It looks nice enough for a TV series - it having been released back in 2006 - and the action makes it enjoyable enough to sit through, but I won't know if it's very good or just watchable until someone explains what the hell is supposed to be going on. The best thing about it so far is the standard attractive virgin character; the type who appears in almost every vampire story. She almost orgasmed when Jirio drank her blood and kicked his **** when he revealed she was a virgin - that's reason enough for me to keep watching!

Ghost Hunt: 01-07

For a show rated so highly, Ghost Hunt is surprisingly boring at times. It's fairly high quality mystery fare, each episode building the suspense as the mysteries move closer to being resolved, but it's still been rather uneventful for such a highly rated series up to yet.

For example, the first three episode story (each story arc seems to last for three episodes) was about discovering the mystery behind a supposedly haunted house. Naru moved in his recording equipment, a school girl helped him since she'd injured his assistant, a Shinto maiden came to shift the evil spirits, as did a monk and even a young Aussie priest came to join in on the fun. The entire first three episodes involved them trying to figure out why doors kept shaking and whatnot, and in the end ghosts turned out to not be the cause. Not exactly the most pulse pounding way to start a series about hunting ghosts!

The good thing about these drawn out, slow-paced stories is that plenty of time is given to character development and with every episode the tension builds. But, again, it isn't the most exciting series in the world when very little happens. I'm into it - it's pretty involving - but I'm not really sure what to rate it. I think it'll be an 8/10 because it's definitely superior to the other two series I'm watching at the mo, both of which appearing to be 6-7/10 affairs.

Starship Operators: 1-4

So far, this series has failed for one reason: a lack of any character development. Mamoru Oshii's younger brother must have come up with this story since there's been more space battle technobabble than there has been character development. Every sci-fi series should open (or, at the very least, follow the first few episodes) by fleshing out the main characters as much as possible, moving away from the space battle scene until enough has been done to make the reader/viewer care. There's a very good reason why in LotGH the story was quick to switch to the back-story of the leads before attempting to delve too far into an epic all-out war between multiple planets.

There have been other issues, too, namely how hard it is not to think of the story as dumb.
While on a class trip on a new battleship, the cadets on-board learn that their planet has fallen to a planetary alliance. They respond to this by deciding to take on this alliance of nations on their own, in one battleship, despite them having no battle experience. And, even worse, it appears that the enemy is trying to rule the universe with only a few battleships - they only ever send one ship after the 'pirates'.

Starship Operators appears to be no more than an excuse for lots of pretty young girls, who look out of place in a war with their thin arms and all, to be on a spaceship. No character development, a poor excuse for a story and the visuals aren't even very impressive. Even the MVM box set is cheap as hell - the DVDs were chucked in a 3 DVD case that's the size of a single DVD case, and it smells like the cases you can buy at Poundland.

To sum it up, so far...

Ghost Hunt: 7.5-8.5/10
Black Blood Brothers: 7-7.5/10
Starship Operators: 6-7/10

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Complete 8/10
Watched this series in two sittings! Really got hooked. I thought the characters were loveable and intresting and most of all it made me lol alot. I was also very happy to find there was a rather intresting story under the mostly comical situations, but you'll have to watch to know why.
I liked it that much that I was straight on teh net to look see if there was another series in development and low and behold there's one airing right now! I will definately be looking into it.
If you like your harem anime (like Tenchi eg), you should take a look at this series.

Afro Samurai: Ressurection Movie 6/10
Some great animation, some enjoyable fight scenes, crap story. Mainly just an excuse for another blood curdling Afro adventure. Easy on the eyes but rot on the brain. Dissapointing.

Fate/Stay Night Ep1 - 7
Started watching this a couple of nights ago. Enjoying it so far. I do get a rather strong Shana vibe from it however (not that this matters to me). Ina nut shell... Magic, fights, and Slave girl who will do anything for you... who can loose!! XD Looking forward to seeing how this series will progress.

Bleach 211 - 220
Had a mini catch up on Bleach also. Some great story together with some dire filler. Ouch.

Naruto Shippuuden 97 - 98
About time I cought up on this series. Bring a change of underware, I feel long winded fights ahead! lol

Baccano volume 4. Enjoyable but very confusing series, with all the characters and time jumps. I just assume now there will be a second series as so many loose ends are left.

Urusei Yatsura. Volumes 16-17. More of the high quality fun and games from Lum, Ataru and their friends.

K-On Episode 12 - Probably the best one so far, the live was exceptional. Thankfully there is one more episode after this

Eden Of The East Episode 11 (Fin) - Definately the best series of the current season. The final episode was very enjoyable, i would rate it probably the best episode of the series, cant wait for those 2 movies!

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2009 Episode 2 - Cant get enough of this, at least we'll have some new ones coming over the next few weeks, a 4 week gap was a bit long lol. Haruhi and Yuki are still my favourites...some fanservice elements in it aswell :lol:

Strike Witches Episodes 1 & 2 - Uhm...not much i can say for this except....where have their skirts/trousers gone? lol

Clouded said:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2009 Episode 2 - Cant get enough of this, at least we'll have some new ones coming over the next few weeks, a 4 week gap was a bit long lol. Haruhi and Yuki are still my favourites...some fanservice elements in it aswell :lol:
I see you were anxious to give it a watch. I myself have been out of the Haruhi loop for some time now.

Today I watched Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, episodes 3 and 4.

Eden of the East Episode 11, awesomeness, cant wait for the movie!

K-On! episode 12, fun and funny

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 Episode 2, as allways Haruhi was super, i think theres a new episode next week too, :-D

Back