Your viewing journal

Nyu said:
Hataraki Man 9 - I'm a bit worried about Hataraki Man. With two episodes left after this i'm looking back over the last 9 episodes and thinking, has anything actually happened. My answer, no. There is a bunch of character development in each episode but from this standpoint i'm looking back and seeing have any of the characters actually changed. They still work themselves to death and screwing up thier relationships because of it, but can this be changed by the last episode? Hataraki Man is episodic in it's delivery so it's hard to build up something we can see changing over time, or a goal that needs to be achieved. But none of them have really excelled, spare a few earlier episodes. To me it just feels repetitive at the moment with no sense of moving forward, this may change in the last two episodes. But if anything does i'll put money on it being rushed and crammed into a 10 minute slot.

Is this show no good then? I'm not sure how to describe this...but even though you're sort of slating it, the concept of the show still sounds interesting, I'm a sucker for slice of life anime. >.>

over the past 2 weeks i've been watching lucky star...i love this anime it rules and the main character is so much like me ^_^ onl...shes a girl...and i would recommend this to anyone. i watched episode 10 yesterday can't wait til' episode 11 to come out!!! :D :D :D OHA LUCKY!

Doberman Pharaoh said:
Is this show no good then? I'm not sure how to describe this...but even though you're sort of slating it, the concept of the show still sounds interesting, I'm a sucker for slice of life anime. >.>

It's still a good show in my opinion. What i was getting at was over the last 9 episodes i've seen i haven't felt theres been any progression in terms of story or a goal. But i guess thats the problem with something that has a different story every episode in that it's difficult to setup a story that spans the series. Every episode is decent in the sense of you can watch it and not get bored. But i just don't feel that in the long run there hasn't been much backbone. It's more a case of heres todays story, heres todays issue now watch how the characters react.

If you like slice of life mixed in with comedy and a splash of drama then you would probably get a kick out of Hataraki Man. It deals with very real aspects that the typical Japanese worker has to endure and if you didn't have any idea at the start, you will gain a bit more understanding after this. Mixed in with a catchy soundtrack and some decent character designs i would give this show a B. I'll have a better idea after i watch the last two episodes but so far i don't feel like i've wasted my time watching it, i've enjoyed it.

Theres not much too Hataraki Man, you can tell it was just a filler show between bigger NoitaminA shows, its fairly episodic and really not all that entertaining, and this is coming from someone who adores Slice of Life anime, on the plus side there are at least 2 songs by japanese band Sambomaster in each episode, so that definetly made it a fair bit better for me :D

Klingy said:
over the past 2 weeks i've been watching lucky star...i love this anime it rules and the main character is so much like me ^_^ onl...shes a girl...and i would recommend this to anyone. i watched episode 10 yesterday can't wait til' episode 11 to come out!!! :D :D :D OHA LUCKY!

Episode 11 is already out. xD. episode 12 will be out soon enough.

Haven't Done This For A While, Recently Watched

Naruto Shippuden 18
Bleach 128
Death Note 36
Denno Coil 1 - 2
Monster 7 - 8
Lucky Star 11
FullMetal Alchemist 28 (re-watch)

I normally do my small little overview thing for each show, i can't be bothered now to be honest; its all in my blog. :p

Zipang 16 - Moving on to the next story arc now, looking over the last few episodes and moving on. Hopefully the next arc is as good as this. Highlight of this episode was at the start when Youske had his nightmares about killing the America soldiers. Now it seems like the Japanese army want's to get involved in the fun. As they said in the episode things are moving away from the history as they know it and a new one is being written.

Hataraki Man 10 - Another episode, another story and some more character development. Slight hint in this episode as to whats going to happen in the final episode. I can take a stab at where it's going and i wouldn't be surprised if i'm right. This episode was so-so, i'm just wondering if the last episode is going to be so-so too.

Zipang 17-20 - Things are getting more and more interesting now. It seems everyone is in on the Mirai, including the U.S forces. Just what fate lies for everyone ahead? It's hard to tell at this point, the story really can go either way. Another big battle lies ahead in episode 21 and it looks to be the best yet. As per usual soundtrack and animation is upto standard and i am finding it really hard to find any faults with them.

Hataraki Man 11 - Well now that i've finished it i can say that episodes 11 and 10 tangle into each other and overlap which makes sense. But it also gives me the idea that they were running out of ideas on how to wrap it up. There must have been about 5 minutes of rehashed footage from the last episode. The ending it'self isn't really an ending as such, it's very open and a sequel series can easily be picked up or the viewer can let thier imagination run. I'm not so sure as it works either way, they setup the foundations for a possible new relationship in the last two episodes as Shinji and Hiro have finally fell apart after crumbling throughout the series.

Hataraki Man is a decent show, isn't going to make you sit back and think wow but it isn't completley pointless and random either. It's just your standard slice of life with an adult theme. I'll do a proper write up at a later date, but i would give Hataraki man a B-

Samurai Champloo Vol.7 – it’s the very series that got me started with Anime last summer – its taken me almost a year to finish it off whilst I’ve been busy checking other stuff out with the slow dribble of rental discs I get every month.

Got a little bit bored with the episodic nature of this throughout the middle series but I reckon it redeemed itself a little with this last disc. Reckon it could have been about 3-4 discs shorter and have been really great punchy little series imho.

Got Kino’s Journey Vol.1&2 through now, so looking forward to immersing myself in that shortly…

Dragon Ball Z - The Dead Zone - It has been literally years since i watched an episode of DBZ let alone a movie but i figured what the hell. I was actually pleasantly surprised as my memories of DBZ were pretty jaded. I enjoyed practically every minute of this film. It was funny, not too serious and had the right amount of action. Funniest parts for me was either when Gohan was smashed on that "apple" or when he pissed into krillins mouth :lol:

You could tell this was one of the earlier peices of DBZ work. It still had the references to Dragon Ball, the good but somewhat cheesy soundtrack and that cheeky humour that the show looses as time goes by. I haven't seen much DBZ since the days it was on Cartoon Network, but i'm getting a hunch to watch it again. I loved the animation, one of my favourite peices of the earlier dragonball work were the environments and the characters themselves.

I wouldn't say this was a masterpeice by any means, but really i watched it to kill some time but i enjoyed it alot more than i thought.

With little access to the net at present it's weird that my DVD viewing has gone up! I've continued rewatching the old Bubblegum Crisis OAV, which improves markedly after the first three or four episodes. The animation's better, the storylines are more complex and the whole thing hits you harder emotionally. Great old-school cyberpunk!

I'm also onto volume #4 of Speed Grapher - not without its faults but easy to sit through and enjoy.

Kenichi 29 (Siegfried is such a weird character I couldn't stop laughing during his fights)
Bokurano 9 :)( made my fave battle from the manga pretty boring)
Upto ep 20 of Mobile Suit Gundam and wanting a dark blue Gouf :lol:

Back