Your viewing journal

My New Boss is Goofy ep1: A traumatised company employee changes jobs and has a hard time adjusting to a decent workplace after struggling under a bullying boss. This time, though, his boss is a bit of an airhead, and he can't help but smile at the man's absent-minded mistakes. The designs are quite nice and everyone looks/behaves like (slightly silly) adults throughout, which should be a given in this genre except that it isn't. The main character's lingering trauma is kind of a big deal too, even though it's not the focus. This isn't a bad show, it's just another that I think would be more enjoyable chopped up into smaller doses rather than repeating the same joke and reminding the viewer of its core concept all the way through a full-length episode.

UNDER NINJA ep1: Another comedy, though with a drier sense of humour. This is the natural outcome after a generation grew up with NARUTO, a gritty spy series about a bunch of sociopathic ninja half-bakedly going on espionage (?) missions in an ordinary high school. The gag is that ninja are still extremely prominent in modern Japanese society and living fairly unremarkable lives when they're not using their awesome powers to resolve everyday problems. I quite like the silliness of the script but this is a seriously ugly show; from the dodgy CG to the muted palette to the fish-eyed character designs, there's nothing aesthetically pleasing anywhere in sight! I'll sit this one out but it has promise.

I'm in Love with the Villainess ep1: I should mention that the entire villainess genre annoys me because it lazily uses a setting that none of its writers know anything about and creates this annoying mythos around a hobby which is completely misrepresented. With that said, this was the first show in the genre which felt entertaining - and it even successfully parodies old fashioned stat-raising otome games in a way that feels genuinely affectionate. The plot is simple; some woman presumably dies of overwork (the isekai elements are, as always, wholly irrelevant) and finds herself in the world of her favourite game, except that she doesn't give a hoot about the actual plot and just wants to indulge her crush on the haughty blonde school bully. What follows is what Butareba would have been if the perving was actually consensual (ok, the villainess openly hates it but she keeps on coming back to bully the same girl anyway, so...) and the main character was indomitably cheerful throughout. Seeing a bully repeatedly undone by unpretentious cheerfulness feels fresh and entertaining in spite of its simplicity. I also love how the male leads are completely disregarded except where they intersect with the lead's plans for her beloved frenemy. No idea whether this will remain watchable but it's doing a good job so far.

R

Evangelion: 3.0 1.0 thrice upon a time - Not really sure what to make of that to be honest.

It does correctly build on 3.33 and helps that film a lot by providing answers and meaningful progression. Could that stuff have been in 3.33 itself? Yes. But actually understanding what people were talking about and having a frame of reference for anything outside of Shinji's head helps a lot. Actually knowing what WILLE actually does and why Asuka is so mad and understanding that half of what Kaworu meant is really helpful.

Basically the whole first half of the film is great and there's a lot of good parts scattered throughout. Everything with Rei is lovely. Asuka has been the third wheel of this entire film series but all of her stuff works and goes to some interesting places. Misato's storyline is a bit of a stretch but feels genuine and resolves well. Shinji feels like it is going to take me a while to digest how exactly to read it. The film is so dense and long that I need to give it another chance to see how I feel about it or if it earns his resolution.

The second half is where I started having problems. Because previously these films had been cryptic at times and you weren't entirely sure what you were looking at, the coffins on the moon from the first film are a good example. But you could look past that to focus on the story and answers could be found. Thrice Upon A Time eventually throws so many new terms and ideas at you that it really does start to full like nonsense. And the nonsense is so impossible after a while it gets in the way of both the character drama and the action scenes because Gendo talking about spears, Nebuchadnezzar and the Evangelion Imaginary is making dialogue hard to parse. Ultimately the ending is fine. A lot of people I follow online found it incredibly touching but I just didn't get that out of it. Also Studio Kara are very lucky I find Mari funny. Because this film would probably be more grating if you didn't find her charismatic at all.

After School Hanako-Kun episode 1 Wonder.

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Season 2 episode 14 Helping hands.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day X: The Wicker Man (Film)

Golden Time
episodes 15-24 (Complete. Whilst I’m not the biggest fan of amnesia as a trope, the characters and drama kept the narrative relatively interesting.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Finished Amanchu Season 2 - Maybe not as strong as S1 but a really nice watch

Finished Alien 9 - its that "Get in the robot shinji" but this time with added PTSD

----

First two episodes of Idolmaster U149 watched

Try to describe this anime without using the word Cute 😹

@Spark_Heal
Definitely agree with most of what you wrote there. Aside from the more quiet segment that takes place in the town of survivors in the first half, and some nice touches to the ending, the final Rebuild film was incredibly disappointing for me in its descent into unintelligible unrestrained gibberish. I swear there's bits when the characters themselves can't even follow the unfolding nonsense. The action mirroring this approach of more is more and relentlessly overwhelming the eyes too. Nothing has much impact.
I've said it before recently, but the Rebuild films to me are more like a parody of Eva and the mecha genre, but a sad one. As a remake rather than a reboot my biggest concern is that youngsters will watch this and not realise they should be watching the og Eva instead. Although I suppose Eva has reached such status in popular culture that they probably do realise.

Autumn Seasonal Roundup
Arknights: Perish in Frost
Same great direction as the first season. Some good adaptational changes so far that skip over unnecessary scenes while keeping a good pace. Hope they can fit the story comfortably within 8 episodes.

SHY
Heard quite a bit of hype for this one. Really solid start to this superhero series and its "so shy she could die" protagonist. Great art and animation.

I'm in Love with the Villainess
Already enjoyed what I've read of the light novels and this looks to be a fun adaptation. One of very few isekai I'll spare my time for that's for sure.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
Saito and Fukushi have assembled a fantastic team and the four episode premier was a nice bonus. Already a great study of a 1000 year old character looking to understand her shorter lived companians.

The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You
Just as absolutely unhinged as the title suggests. Great comedy and characters.

Power of Hope ~Precure Full Bloom~
Much like Looking for Magical Doremi this series seems pretty accessible even if you're only vaguely familiar with the franchise. An interesting look at former magical girls as working adults.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 3
It's more Uma Musume. Beyond the goofy horse girl shenanigans the past two seasons have proven to be great sports series in their own right. Got good expectations that will continue.

The Idolm@ster: Million Live!
It's more Idolm@ster. Not sure if it'll change the formula much but it's always a good time. A lot of fans will miss the ex-Gainax led teams of past instalments but Shirogumi does a good job bringing the franchise into CGI animation.

Stardust Telepath
Always up for another Manga Time Kirara series. Cute characters as usual with an alien theme.

Bullbuster episode 2 No response.

The Eminence in Shadow Season 2 episode 22 Why I’m here.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 3 episode 2 Work hard.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day XI: Ghostwatch (Film)

Golgo 13: The Professional (Film)
A solid action film and one I wouldn’t mind seeing a UHD re-release for from Discotek. 3.5/5

GoShogun
episodes 1-8

Last edited:
Drifters (Rewatch)
Still a fun time and a league ahead of most isekai in that it actually does something different. Hope the promise of a second season in 20XX is sooner rather than later. Might give Hellsing Ultimate another go now.

Dr. Stone: New World Part 2 episode 12 Submerging.

Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season episode 36 Buying time.

Rurouni Kenshin (2023) episode 15 Cheeky brat.

The Ancient Magus’ Bride Season 2 episode 38 Bigger problems.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day XII: Silent Hill (Film)

GoShogun
episodes 9-18

Last edited:
Drifters (Rewatch)
Still a fun time and a league ahead of most isekai in that it actually does something different. Hope the promise of a second season in 20XX is sooner rather than later. Might give Hellsing Ultimate another go now.
I remember the first time I watched it.
I was blown away and would give it a 11/10.
It's a regular rewatch.
Made me read about the characters real lives.

I've decided that the second season is just those few extra episodes they made.
Which is a shame because there are so many different parts of that world I would like to explore.

I remember the first time I watched it.
I was blown away and would give it a 11/10.
It's a regular rewatch.
Made me read about the characters real lives.

I've decided that the second season is just those few extra episodes they made.
Which is a shame because there are so many different parts of that world I would like to explore.
Eh I'd lean more around 7.5/10 if I were to score it. While I think it's a fun time it does have quite a few issues like the very static characters, the okamas, muddy compositing and repetitive dialogue. Take a drink every time Nobunaga says Shimazu was born for the battlefield. We get it man.

Last edited:
Eh I'd lean more around 7.5/10 if I were to score it. While I think it's a fun time it does have quite a few issues like the very static characters, the okamas, muddy compositing and repetitive dialogue. Take a drink every time Nobunaga says Shimazu was born for the battlefield. We get it man.
Me no worry about such things.
Sword, arrows, guns and chopped off heads.

Hulk smash.

The Eminence in Shadow 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 22

The Misfit at Demon King Academy II (English Dub) Episode 21

Dr. STONE: New World Part 2 Episode 12

My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer Episode 3

I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness Episode 2

The Ancient Magus' Bride Season 2 Part 2 Episode 38

I can’t remember how the first season compares with the manga, but one possible problem with any continuation of the Drifters anime is just that, even by Hirano’s standards, the manga seemed to be advancing the story very slowly relative to the length of time it’s been running.

Back