Your viewing journal

The Witch Part 2
Korean film.

Boss Level
Loads of fun. I laughed lots at the daftness of it.

Black Summoner
Episodes 5-8

Banished from the Hero's Party
Episodes 1-2
More enjoyable than I thought.
Like the flashbacks to split up the plot.

Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible! (Japanese) - Episode 10 - 12 (Complete)

This was a cute series, in the same vein as Teasing Master Takagi-san. I prefer Takagi but this was still a good alternative for those who enjoy these types of shows. It can feel a bit repetitive at times and sometimes you wish the main guy would just see the obvious signs but it's a relaxing, easy watch so nothing to get overly annoyed about.

Aho-Girl (Japanese) - Episode 1 - 12 (Complete)

This was a hilarious little comedy series, wouldn't show it to anyone not already deep into anime though otherwise you'd definitely get questions at some scenes but if that isn't the case then this was a fun series. The main girl is a complete idiot and you can't not laugh at some of the stuff she comes out with. Glad I got the Discotek release when I did, not sure how easily available it is still.

Non-Anime

Loki (Season 2)
- Episode 2

Under Ninja ep2

I keep wanting to insert a ‘the’ in the middle of that title for some reason. That aside, I’m enjoying this one. I’d be curious to know if the jumps back and forwards in time were in the manga, it’s starting to feel a lot like what you’d get if Hanezawa wrote a volume of Durarara.

Mashle ep5-8

I feel like they could have come up with a better punchline for the subplot with the hypnosis girl than ‘Mashle suplexes her’. She didn’t pose any direct physical threat and it kind of undermines his do-gooder image. Otherwise, this is fine. It’s quite tropey, but it’s entertaining and it seems to be moving along faster than I would have expected.

Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End episode 6 Repaying a debt.

Goblin Slayer II episode 2 Behind the door.

The Kingdoms of Ruin episode 2 State of emergency.

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 3 episode 40 Harpoon.

Undead Unluck episode 2 Rule.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day XIII: Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again (Films)

GoShogun
episodes 19-26 & GoShogun: The Time Etranger (Film) (Complete. A series that didn’t break new ground for me but was decent overall). 3/5, 3/5

Reign of the Seven Spellblades (English Dub) Episode 13

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End Episode 6

Girlfriend, Girlfriend Season 2 Episode 14

Goblin Slayer II Episode 14

Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me Episode 2

Reign of the Seven Spellblades Episode 15 (Complete. A solid series and a personal favourite of mine from the summer season with all of the Harry Potter nods and references.) 3.5/5

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 3
Episode 40

Aim for the Ace! - Episodes 1 - 9 (Blu-ray)

I started this on Aim for the Ace's 50th anniversary, I've wanted to watch it for ages and finally get to see it glorious HD. I've read and heard so much about Aim for the Ace! (predominately from endless discussion about Gunbuster) that it's hard not to go in without some sort of expectation but it's a really interesting how the character dynamics are developed and like I've seen in so many other of Dezaki's anime, the visuals are really interesting too in how the speed of the game is portrayed.

Crusher Joe - The Ice Prison (Blu-ray)

One of my all time favourite OVAs that I've seen many times and really holds up well, a great combination of good pacing, a decent story and dynamic action. I've seen it in HD before on a fansub rip but Discotek's blu-ray looks and sounds fantastic.

Golden Warrior Gold Lightan - Episodes 6 - 8

Samurai 7 (English dubbed, rewatch) - I haven't actually seen Seven Samurai yet but I enjoyed this on it's own merits, and the story and characters are engaging, was fun to rewatch it now that I have the Blu-ray :)

A favourite of mine, happy to see another fan :)

Finished Alien 9 - its that "Get in the robot shinji" but this time with added PTSD

I've seen Alien 9 a couple of times and its an OVA I really liked, and it's something I've been thinking about watching it again as I haven't seen it since the late 00's, I'm going to dig that CPM disc out and see if the passage of time has changed my opinion.

Vinland Saga Season 2 (Finished)

I said not that long ago that Vinland Saga has that "just one more episode" thing going for it and it still does a dozen and a half episodes later, the story was a really strong point here with a good chunk of the characters having multiple dimensions, the season actually takes a more slice of life approach than it's predecessor that was all out action, overall I'm torn on which season is better because this one has the better story but the first has the better action scenes while still having a good story, overall though Vinland Saga S2 is still a bloody good show overall, it's not often that I binge watch anime nowadays but this one has earned my title as an anime I binge watched.

Edit: Also wanted to add The House

I was going to review this one in the rate the last film thread but I just couldn't think of the right words to give a comprehensive and detailed opinion so I'll give more TLDR thoughts here, I saw this on Netflix last night and I kind of liked it, stop motion films are very hard to get right and I haven't exactly seen many of them, with that said I actually really liked this one, it's split into 3 stories that are all pretty good overall, the third one is my favourite, the first one is the best of the three for halloween and the second one is still decent, all in all a very solid stop motion film.

Last edited:
Tokyo Revengers: Tenjiku-hen (Japanese) - Episode 39

After-school Hanako-kun (Japanese) - Episode 1

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Japanese) - Episode 6

Spy x Family (Season 2) (Japanese) - Episode 27

Kawagoe Boys Sing ep1: A competent 'school club' show about a bunch of reluctant boys' choir singers and their domineering advisor (who has his own reasons to push the boys and is somehow the least mature person in the show). The episode was fine, but with me having picked out quite a few titles to give a second chance I'm having to be picky now - and I can't stand the music in this one. The piano accompaniments remind me of my own much-hated time at school and the singing, which is probably technically fine (I have no idea) just doesn't move me at all. I could overlook that if the show's main hook (so far, one of the boys is afraid to sing in front of people) had grabbed me but I think this will be a slower show. It doesn't make the cut.

Spy x Family s2 ep1: A safe show because it's always enjoyable, even if the 'adult' episodes are generally more fun than the 'school' episodes (sorry, Anya). The first episode of the new season was another dose of the same silliness with the same high quality delivery so of course I'll continue watching this.

The Yuzuki Family's Four Sons ep1: This was decent. The character artwork is very pretty and it's unusual to see domestic tales of a bunch of boys who all genuinely love and value one another. The kids act like (slightly idealised) kids and the eldest, who is being forced to raise his younger brothers, has a separate arc as well, with understandable adult worries. Unfortunately it's going to be another casualty of my lack of free time because I don't really believe that much will happen later on; the slice of life genre is always the easiest for me to lose interest in. Still, it's the kind of show that's a good time-filler if I'm ever at a loose end.

OVERTAKE! ep1: I thought this was going to be terrible based on the cheap-looking splash artwork on Crunchyroll but it was quite surprising for several reasons. Firstly, the character animation was fine, and secondly, for the first episode at least the viewpoint character was a middle aged photographer rather than one of the young F4 drivers. The CG cars looked rubbish but having already watched MF Ghost I was already prepared for that, and the majority of this first episode was about the characters rather than the on-track action. F1 is one of only two sports I am even slightly knowledgeable about (thanks, dad) so OVERTAKE! provided an unusual experience of watching a sports series where I already kind of understood the setting, and it wasn't offensively stupid like that horse racing idol nonsense a few seasons ago (CG cars are also way less grotesque than CG horses). It might be a keeper.

In other news, HIDIVE remembered that the world outside the US exists so my list of new shows to catch up on has increased in size once again. And I dropped both Shy and BULLBUSTER after reasonable second episodes which didn't quite keep me hooked. I also dropped Frieren which I think means I'm in a weird minority of people soulless enough not to like the sad elf girl show. It sounded better on paper and didn't click with me at all (my partner is continuing with it so I'll probably keep up with it passively even if I felt too emotionally detached to watch it myself).

R

Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange episode 3 One point of praise.

Ragna Crimson episode 3 Keeping a distance.

Spy x Family Season 2 episode 27 Depressed doge.

The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess episode 2 Duel.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day XIV: Psycho, Psycho II (Films)

Gregory Horror Show
episodes 1-25 & Special (Complete. A macabre set of two minute shorts that are very much of their time when looking at the 3D animation - though this also works to its advantage.) 3.5/5

Gregory Horror Show: The Second Guest
episodes 1-25 (Complete. This second series of shorts switches up the main character and scenarios with interesting results.) 3.5/5

Gregory Horror Show: The Last Train
episodes 1-26 (Complete. This set of shorts switches to a train setting instead of the macabre hotel which helped to keep the stories fresher.) 3.5/5

Gregory Horror Show: The Bloody Karte
episodes 1-12 (Complete. A very poor final season that misses the mark by focusing on one of the least enjoyable characters in the series.) 1.5/5

Gunbuster
episodes 1-6 (Complete. This was really fun, and I can see why it was such an anticipated release from Discotek.) 4/5

BLEACH: Thousand-Year Blood War (English Dub) Episode 23

Management of a Novice Alchemist (English Dub) Episode 3

My Tiny Senpai (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

The Dangers in My Heart (English Dub) Episode 8

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special Episode 2 Test.

Gridman Universe (Film)

I Shall Survive Using Potions! Episode 2 Consultations.

Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 27

Tearmoon Empire Episode 2 Countermeasures.

The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess Episode 2 Duel.

Back