Your viewing journal

Kill La Kill 21 Bastards teasing with those Mako death flags, I'm pretty sure I stopped breathing when Mako was slashed in the "dream world" thingy bit. Fab episode, looking forward to seeing how this show wraps up in the next three episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gasaraki

I swear the techno babble in this is soooooo boring but at the end of episode 4 it looks like it's going to get interesting.

I for the life of me couldn't understand what they was talking about something about dancing and a deity fuelling a mecha or something and the government has to stop a president from some thing stan and that president is is being controlled by a higher power.

If anyone can tell me if I'm wrong or something tell me cause the first 4 episodes was boring or at least summarize it for me.

Psycho Pass - Episode 9 (Dub)

I can't help but notice how much banding there is and the other issues with this release - mainly in the dark scenes (and there are a lot) but still really noticable.
Turns out that Funi are only using 30gb of Discs 1/3 and 17gb of discs 2/4. Episodes are only about 3.3-4gb each. This could have been a two disc release!
For a premium product the video is really disappointing, especially considering the BD rips I have actually look better at less than half the filesize.

I had high expectations considering that the series is 11 episodes per season, and Robotics;Notes actually used pretty much all the disc space on both discs for it's first half.

Greenmeido said:
animefreak17 said:
Gasaraki

If anyone can tell me if I'm wrong or something tell me cause the first 4 episodes was boring or at least summarize it for me.

I think that was where I dropped it. Too much sleep inducing dialogue.

There was.talking in death note and I mean alot but they kept it interesting and made you want more and the music was great and animation and such but with this anime I was like .........I wonder what's on the internet

It's not that colourful
There to much boring talk
Lil to no action
To much techo babble

...........It's to boring

But il stick with it til.the end.

Guilty Crown (English Dub) - Episodes 8, 9, 10, 11 ~ On-hold until I get Guilty Crown, Part 2
Guilty Crown: 4-Panel Theater Specials (Japanese Dub) - Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6A ~ On-hold until I get Guilty Crown, Part 2

Mangaranga said:
Turns out that Funi are only using 30gb of Discs 1/3 and 17gb of discs 2/4. Episodes are only about 3.3-4gb each.

That there is what I don't get. I assume the manufacturing cost for a disc, lets go with a dual layer, is the same regardless of how much space is used. If that's the case, why not use as much of the disc as possible.

Mangaranga said:
considering the BD rips I have actually look better at less than half the filesize.

That comment right there is saying to me the bitrate isn't the only factor. Considering the file sizes are half that of Funimations, the bitrate is going to be lower. It has to be the software and/or hardware and the way Funimation is encoding the video that has caused the banding.

Mangaranga said:
For a premium product the video is really disappointing

Not got the Blu-ray yet, but going on your comment, plus I have read else where about the banding issues, I would agree.

^
The video quality of Psycho Pass is still miles better than anything Sentai puts out on BD, so it's not terrible in that regard.
I just expected much more from it. I haven't noticed the issues as much on episodes 9 -11 on disc 2, but they're still there.
I think part of the issue is down to the fact that Funi messes with the contrast/brightness of their releases.
Black Lagoon was a good example to show this, as the increased brightness made the banding much more noticable than it was on the Japanese BDs.

Mangaranga said:
The video quality of Psycho Pass is still miles better than anything Sentai puts out on BD, so it's not terrible in that regard. I just expected much more from it.

Ah, OK. Fair enough.

Mangaranga said:
I think part of the issue is down to the fact that Funi messes with the contrast/brightness of their releases. Black Lagoon was a good example to show this, as the increased brightness made the banding much more noticable than it was on the Japanese BDs.

See that's something I don't get, why they feel the need to increase the contrast and/or brightness.

Gundam Build Fighters - Episodes 20 & 21

Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (Blu-ray)

I love this film; I think it concluded the Amuro/Char story brilliantly and it's superb animation just looks stunning on Blu-ray.

animefreak17 said:

Stick with it, I think it's a great series, Takahashi truly produces something quite unique within the mecha genre!

Back