Your viewing journal

Flowers of Evil - Episodes 5 & 6

Gall Force - Eternal Story

Another of my all time favourites but I had forgotten just how bloody brilliant Eternal Story is with a great story and beautiful animation, it's just a shame that the sequels got progressively worse after this.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel episode 1. The setup is interesting and the CG looks pretty good in my opinion. Not entirely sold on the whole premise of ships with stereotypical anime girl avatars, but I'll give the series a chance.

Shigurui: Death Frenzy (English Dub) - Episode 1

An interesting concept this show has. It reminds me of Afro Samurai but with a different art style and story.

Sword Art Online (Japanese Dub) - Episodes 16 and 17

Okay episodes.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (English Dub) - Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4 (the entirety of Box Set 1) ~ Rewatch for English Version

Dub is alright, I hear it's one of the worst Aniplex dubs in comparison to Durarara!! and others.

Kill la Kill (Japanese Dub) - Episode 2

I'm slightly disappointed with this show (I can't even explain how due to the nature of this show). Though I will continue to watch the series (I don't drop shows at all with the exception of Hetalia), it's just the show isn't flawless and fantastic like everyone is saying. At the moment, locked to 7-8/10.

Samurai Flamenco (Japanese Dub) - Episode 1

This show on the other hand, is surprisingly good and I'm loving the story. At the moment, locked to 9/10.

Shigurui: Death Frenzy (English Dub) - Episodes 2, 3 and 4

Such an odd anime, it's not like any other show I've watched. It's rather mature for one thing but at the same time if you can understand it the show is surprisingly good.

Dragonball GT - season 1 disc 4

Must say, it's been slow progress due to the boring first Saga, a sudden urge to replay Skyrim and getting on with rereading my Cerebus comics, but hopefully now the Baby Saga is in full swing I'll work through it faster.

Sword Art Online (Japanese Dub) - Episodes 18, 19 and 20

Well I can see why everyone hates this arc: Bewbs.

Oreimo. (Japanese Dub) - Episode 10

Wow.

Scotland Loves Anime certainly came up trumps again.

Fuse: Memoirs of the Hunter Girl (2012)

A playful fantasy set in mid-19th century Edo, this sees a young hunter from the mountains lured to the city, in a bid to kill two werewolf-like monsters terrorising the populace. The snag being that one of them is a charismatic kabuki actor who takes rather a shine to her. Ambitious, unflinchingly violent and surprisingly sweet, this is a hugely entertaining film, let down only by some difficult leaps in its narrative, that I suspect trade on assumed knowledge of Japanese folklore - particularly the Hakkenden, on which it's partly based.

Patema Inverted (2013)

Only the second feature from wunderkind Yasuhiro Yoshiura, this is a witty science-fantasy adventure about the across-the-divide relationship between cave-dwelling Princess Patema and downtrodden Orwellian-schoolboy Age. While I think it undoubtedly owes a debt to Laputa, this is an utterly charming film that feels light, fresh and engaging in a way that I often wonder if Ghibli is still capable of. It's probably a bit scary for young children, but I think this has both the substance and the broad appeal to entertain just about everyone else.

May put up some further comments in the rating thread at a later date, but really, it's things like this that make me optimistic for the future of anime.

Back