Your viewing journal

Finished rewatching Cowboy Bebop on Blu-ray. It still holds up brilliantly today I think, especially the soundtrack. The cel animated parts in particular look stunning in 1080i, but whenever they switch to low resolution digipaint it sticks out like a sore thumb due to the upscaling. Still one of the best English dubs of all-time as well.

Glad to hear you liked Patema Inverted Prof, I'm really looking forward to checking that out when I come up to Edinburgh next week.

Anime All-Nighter:

Evangelion 1.0 - Rewatch

Evangelion 2.0 - Rewatch Thinking about it, I felt that the scene where the dummy system over-rides the eva during the battle with Bardiel was weaker in the Rebuild movie than the TV series due to the fact that Shinji didn't actually watch it due to that stupid screen.

Evangelion 3.0 Not sure about the whole 14 years into the future nonsense, but it turned into a pretty big 'headf*ck' and now feels more like Evangelion than the other two movies. Although I felt Kawrou's death to be pretty weak in comparison to the TV Series - who knew budget cuts could be so effective?

Perfect Blue - Rewatch

Wolf Children - Wow, this actually gave me a lump in my throat. Not many movies can do that, except Grave of the Fireflies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (English Dub) - Episodes 5, 6, 7 and 8 (the entirety of Box Set 2) ~ Rewatch for English Version

I'll take an apple. AND EAT IT!

Samurai Flamenco ep1

Didn't quite know what to make of this one. Given the premise, I was expecting something deeply wacky, but based on this episode, it seems like a more lightweight version of Kick-Ass. His introduction in the first half of the episode was cringeworthy, but Flamenco's attempt to confront a group of delinquent youths did seem a bit more interesting, being faintly reminiscent of Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa. I'll likely give a couple of episodes at least.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (English Dub) - Episodes 9, 10, 11 and 12 (the entirety of Box Set 3) ~ Rewatch for English Version

The dub was pretty good for this series, especially with Homura (one of my favourite anime characters). I hope the Film trilogy gets dubbed.

Kill La Kill Episode 2 - More insanity, more fun, basically the same level of madness as episode 1. Just what i wanted. I can see this being one of the contenders for best of the season now if this trend continues. It never takes itself seriously, the dialogue is pretty great as well and the animation is very fluid and adds to the charm. Sure, there is fan service And for the ladies, a hilarious minute of the home room teacher going shirtless for no reason but the shear fun of the action, the chemistry of the characters and such lets it slip by fairly easily. Sure it's there, but it doesn't get in the way. I'd say it just adds to the sense of humour the series has crafted for itself.

Hajime no Ippo Challenger Road, OVA & Episode 1 of New Challenger - In an attempt to bash through it as swiftly as i can to get onto S3, i got the film and ova down alongside the first ep of S2. The film and OVA where pretty great, good combinations of character development to fights. And the shift in focus from Ippo in the OVA is a nice change of pace, something i'm happy to see more of. The first ep of S2 was nice, and did feel like more of the same, however i felt that, the fresher feel of the animation and the new choice in soundtrack just don't fit. It's only one episode, but i already miss the style of everything before it, since the soundtrack did left a lasting impression on me. Still, we'll see as we go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coppelion ep 2. Oh dear, this went downhill fast. If episode 3 is not a significant improvement it's getting dropped.
Non Non Biyori ep 2. Sooooo cute.
Outbreak Company ep 2.
Pokemon Black & White: Episode N ep 14. *complete*
Pokemon: Origins ep 1-2. Wait, a Pokemon series with a proper storyline :eek: If only the main anime was this good...

Back