Your viewing journal

Shikabane Hime eps 12 & 13
completed Initial D Fifth Stage. Hope they continue the story soon in a movie or something, that ending just left us hanging.

Attack on Titan - Episode 7
A Certain Scientific Railgun - Episodes 19-24

Well, excluding the last 2/3 episodes the second half of Railgun has been pretty painful to get through...

Joshawott said:
Attack On Titan 7

Well...that was amazing.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Hiiro no Kakera S2 12-13
Revolutionary Girl Utena 13-15 Both the sub and the dub are currently being streamed free on YouTube by Nozomi. If anyone's not seen this series yet, you should totally go watch it because it's amazing. I think they've put up to about episode 20 something up so far.

Full Metal Panic - Episode 9 (Sub)
Fate/Zero - Episodes 3 & 4 (Dub)

I like the Fate/Zero dub so far, don't get me wrong, it is good. My main issue with it is that they seem to be trying too hard to get the dialogue to match with the mouth movement.
This is okay most of the time, but there are some moments which just sound unnatural, and almost... I don't know... is kiddish the right word?

Mangaranga said:
My main issue with it is that they seem to be trying too hard to get the dialogue to match with the mouth movement.
Hasn't this been one of the pillars of dubbing technique for many years now?

ilmaestro said:
Mangaranga said:
My main issue with it is that they seem to be trying too hard to get the dialogue to match with the mouth movement.
Hasn't this been one of the pillars of dubbing technique for many years now?
Sentai don't usually try too hard to do it, and to be honest I don't usually tend to notice it in other releases. It just so happens that with F/Z there are some moments where it sticks out.
Then again it might just be me. I tend to watch more things subbed now since I personally feel that Funi and Sentai's dubs have gone way downhill.

I think usually, companies used to rewrite a script so that the dialogue sounded natural, meant the same thing, but fit into the flaps. These days, with the faster turn outs, they tend to just go for "speed-runs" when recording.

I've been off my game for the past two weeks with what i'm watching, but here's what i've caught up with so far:

Suisei no Gargantia 5-6 - I'm still an episode behind but at the moment, this stands as my favourite show of the season. While the others i'm watching are great, gargantia has kind of won me over with it's world and characters. Will be looking forward to getting in episode 7 during my holiday.

Majestic Prince ~7 Thank god the most recent episode had stuff happen. It's been struggling with pace for ages, and now it feels like it's finally finding the speed it should be going at. What's more the only two of the main cast i'm still interested in are Kei and Izuru. At about 5 minutes into episode 7, i ended up thinking to myself, the villains are far more interesting than anything the main cast has thrown at us, and they only just appeared So yeah, let's hope this improves.

To aru kagaku no Railgun S ~6 - This is pretty awesome to me, in a "i've already read the manga" kind of way. Seeing the scenes animated is pretty cool. What's more, it's still covering everything that's not been touched in index from the sisters arc, which is still probably the best one i've seen of index. Should enter entirely new sections from next week on.

Lupin the 3rd: First Contact - Quite an interesting contrast coming off of the Fujiko series from last year. Both telling essentially an origins story. I really quited enjoyed it too, and it was nice hearing the lupin theme again after it being absent throughout all of A woman called Mine Fujiko. Well worth a look if you enjoy some Lupin sansei once in a while.

So i've got Valvrave and Titan to catch up on next, both of which should prove to be fantastic i hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back