Your viewing journal

Professor Irony said:
Provided you can get around the haphazard artwork (I know a lot of people hate the loose style) and the woeful opening chase scene, it's not a bad entry into the series. I'd consider it like a lesser follow-up to Secret of Mamo.
You know, I think that's it. The "loose" style and that ridiculous gravity-defying opening chase sequence. It must've been too much for my under-developed brain to process.

Was Gold of Babylon the film Oshii was supposed to direct (but didn't, presumably because he'd turned the script into some kind of philosophical rumination on the nature of criminality)? I can't help but think that would've turned out to be a more, uh, "interesting" movie.

That opening chase scene is awful. It wants so badly to be a Tex Avery cartoon, but it completely lacks the comic-timing...

But yeah, I've read that Oshii was originally in the frame to direct the film. According to ANN, he wanted to make a Lupin film in which Lupin was never seen. Assuming he was going to focus on the other characters, it actually sounds not unlike the Fujiko series. Considering that this would have been just after he made Beautiful Dreamer as well, I think it's a great shame that Oshii didn't get the chance to do it.

Combat Mecha Xabungle - Episode 11

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse - Episode 20

A pretty good episode that is hopefully setting up a decent conclusion.

Back