Your viewing journal

Madoka Magica is a darker magical girl series in the same vein as older shows like Uta Kata and Princess Tutu. It's not as original and life-changing as its most ardent fans might say, but it's exceptionally well produced and if you're going to watch any magical girl show, it's probably one of the best to dip into. I'll also note that this especially applies if you're male because this is very much aimed at that demographic - I don't mean it's full of lecherous pandering or anything so crass, but the fluffy, idealised depiction of the sweet female characters definitely appeals to male otaku in particular.

R

I think Rui covered it, but I'll just add that I loved the first four episodes despite being entirely disinterested in magical girl shows. It's very dark, visually creative, and has an excellent Yuki Kajiura soundtrack. When I'm in the mood for watching cartoons again, I'm going straight back in there.

Rui said:
the fluffy, idealised depiction of the sweet female characters definitely appeals to male otaku in particular.
*cough*

Appeals to some male otaku, Rui. I intend to start watching Madoka this evening and will be watching for this darkness I've heard about.

ayase said:
Rui said:
the fluffy, idealised depiction of the sweet female characters definitely appeals to male otaku in particular.
*cough*

Appeals to some male otaku, Rui. I intend to start watching Madoka this evening and will be watching for this darkness I've heard about.

I think your predilection for extreme spunkiness may disqualify you from falling into my excessively casual generalisation of the average male otaku. At least the ones from the current generation. We need a general term for a battle-hardened, crusty male otaku...

(I wonder whether you'll like Kyouko - as my friend does - or be like me and appreciate Kyubey more than all of the others. Not really worthy of spoiler tags but some people might hate reading character names.)

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Zone of the Enders: Dolores, i - Episode 2

The artwork is terrible but I'm enjoying the story.

Rui & Fabricatedlunatic, thank you for your replies, I might get the wife to get me the BD set for Christmas, I'm feeling now that I ought to give it a go!!

Orgun said:
What is Modoka Magica actually like? Is it really the 'Evangelion' of magical girl shows like it is made out to be? I normally steer well clear of magical girl anime but I'm almost beginning to believe the hype about it and thinking about giving it a go!!!

I didn't watch it when it originally aired as the ads for it during Arakawa made it look like the "typical" magical girl series so I steered clear when it came on. Of course, all you heard after it aired was how great it was and that it was different and dark, that's what made me want to eventually see it; the idea of a dark magical girl show. I enjoyed the first 2 episodes and am looking forward to watching the rest of it over this weekend likely. Must say though that is it just me or are the subtitles ever so slighlty out of time on the DVD? It's like they don't appear on screen until after the speaking character has said a word or two but still end when the character finishes speaking meaning they're not on the screen long enough to read.

Psycho-pass Ep.5

K Ep.6

Arbalest said:
Trigun - Entire series complete - OK it wasn't all in the one day, but over the past week i've watched a disc a day(bar now, where i watched the last 2 together) and it was one hell of an enjoyable experience. I can see why people love it so easily. Sure the animation is a little dated now, but it takes nothing away. The action was fun, in a way that i feel trigun could only do. Definitely one to watch if you haven't already, and don't be put off just because the series is a little dated now. Oh and before anyone suggests, i have seen Badlands Rumble already, saw it at SLA a couple years ago, damned nice too.
I was considering reading the manga after this(both normal and maximum) but i hear they basically re-iterate the anime, just with a few differences. So i'll still consider it, but put it to one side for the time being.

Ah, good stuff! But the manga actually ends up being quite very different from the anime, though I can't say I'd particularly recommend it. The first part of the manga is great and almost identical to the first half of the anime, as that was as far as Nightow had got with the manga back then. Due to the manga being incomplete, the latter parts of the anime's story were written just for it, while Nightow took his own sweet time to do what he wanted with the manga. Unfortunately, the manga ends up becoming a significantly different beast from the anime, with the plot becoming unnecessarily over-bloated and convoluted as it goes on (thus diluting the core story of Vash and Knives), and more emphasis being placed on ultra-violent (and not so cool) action. I stuck with it to the end thanks to my fondness Vash's character, but honestly, there's not one aspect in which I don't believe the anime adaptation to be superior to the manga.

Medaka Box Abonrmal Ep.5

Robotic;Notes Ep.5

Btooom! Ep.6

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Ep.3-4

Sweet Jesus, I didn't see that coming :eek: . Also, that Kyubey is a right evil/creepy little thing.

death note episodes 7 and 8
OH MY GOD episode 7 was so freaking ummmmmmm i cant think of a word for it but OMG the female detective had no idea what was coming to her i felt so bad for her and light is just a dick. you should of seen my mums face what happened in episode 7 it was priceless

episode 8 we get to see how clever light is and i think ryuks getting a lil funnybut still
what light did to that female detective was freaking cruel thats like taking a baby from its real mother and killing her

my mums really in to it now, and so am i

Bakamonogatari ep 11

OK, can someone please tell me why Koyomi lifted up that Sengoku girl's skirt to have a look?? It seemed entirely random, and wasn't even for a cheap gag :?

*sigh* Bakamonogatari is a great series, but there's a lot of that typical Japanese kind of female objectification sprinkled throughout the show. I know there's a certain kind of sexual tension that the show seems to emphasize, but do we have to have quite so many blatantly pervy shots? It just a shame because everything else is so classy.

Oh, and it's a bit of a shame that Senjogahara has suddenly faded into the background over the last few eps, I hope she comes back into focus again, as she was quite interesting. Hanekawa is OK, but I find her aura of smugness a bit annoying to be honest ("I only know what I know"- urrrghg).

vashdaman said:
Bakamonogatari ep 11

Oh, and it's a bit of a shame that Senjogahara has suddenly faded into the background over the last few eps, I hope she comes back into focus again, as she was quite interesting. Hanekawa is OK, but I find her aura of smugness a bit annoying to be honest ("I only know what I know"- urrrghg).

Agreed. I much preferred Senjogahara; more interesting and, linking nicely to your objectification of women point, sexier too :D .

From The New World Ep.7

Thankfully we're finished with the queerat war, that was starting to drag.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Ep.6

Puella Magi Madoka Magic Ep.7-8

Mangaman, what do you think of Heaven's Memo Pad? I watched it as it was airing and was pleasantly surprised by it. Definitely an overlooked series I think. I hardly know anyone who's seen it.

Sword Art Online - 18
Psycho Pass - 5
Chuunibyou - 6
K - 6
UN-GO - 5-8
Heaven's Memo Pad - 7+8

st_owly said:
Mangaman, what do you think of Heaven's Memo Pad? I watched it as it was airing and was pleasantly surprised by it. Definitely an overlooked series I think. I hardly know anyone who's seen it.
Not Mangaman, but I also watched it as it aired and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know anyone who watched it either which is a shame. If I remember correctly, the only bit I found disappointing was how abruptly it ended.

Back