Your viewing journal

Professor Irony said:
Heh, I really don't think I could go back to Tenchi at all now - certainly not with a straight face... Even a few years after the initial release, I remember rewatching it and seriously questioning what exactly I saw in it the first time round. Looking back, I kind of wonder if it was possibly just the first harem show to come out here officially; its popularity greatly helped by our lack of familiarity.

I do agree about that first episode though. Other than the snes RPG (surprisingly good fun), I think that was probably the best thing to come out of the franchise.
Tenchi was certainly unique amongst what was being released here at the time (late 1994, if memory serves). It felt more "Japanese" than other anime I'd seen until then, and think I was charmed by the characters and that great first episode (the next three, in fact, are still reasonably entertaining). It definitely has some great music and design as well - AIC were at the top of their game in the early-mid 90s.

In terms of harem anime, I still think it's only surpassed by the original El Hazard OVA. There aren't too many shining lights in that genre, after all, and I'd still rather watch Tenchi than, say, Love Hina.

I had no idea about the SNES game :-O

Regarding Nostradamus, I excitedly bought Funimation's release based on what Helen McCarthy had written about the film, but like yourself came away decidedly unimpressed. Also, I remember thinking how rough it looked for a theatrical movie. The following year's Dead or Alive is an all-round more entertaining Lupin caper.

episode 2

death note episode 2 with mum

she thought it was totally unexpected and is glad that the show gets a sherlock vs moriarty sort of feel.

me i thought how L planed everything out was amazing and how light took precautions about the death note was genius

fabricatedlunatic said:
Tenchi was certainly unique amongst what was being released here at the time (late 1994, if memory serves). It felt more "Japanese" than other anime I'd seen until then, and think I was charmed by the characters and that great first episode (the next three, in fact, are still reasonably entertaining). It definitely has some great music and design as well - AIC were at the top of their game in the early-mid 90s.

That's a fair point - it would certainly have been a welcome change from Manga's blood & thunder efforts at the time. I do remember the music being quite good as well, now that you mention it.

The snes game was kind of interesting, in that it was a Shining Force-style tactical RPG. Even now, I don't think that's something you often get with an anime tie-in. It was also perfectly playable despite the language barrier, although I see someone's actually done a translation patch for it now:

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving the Tenchi hate up in hurr. And seriously, were mouse tails ( as in Tenchi's hair cut) really ever cool? I'd rather just a straight up mullet. I always disliked that show ever since it initially popped up on Cartoon Network, though it's probably just the fact it's a "harem" show, and I can't help but find the formulae of harem shows intrinsically pathetic. Though I also do agree with Fabricated about it feeling a bit more properly Japanese compared to some of the other shows around at the time (though I saw it much later than 1994 of course), and I think that was what occasionally caused me to bother watching it.

Say "I love you" ep 5, My little Monster ep 5

Both pretty good episode's for these show's. Man...I'm becoming a shojo fiend. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Tell no one of this.

vashdaman said:
Loving the Tenchi hate up in hurr. And seriously, were mouse tails ( as in Tenchi's hair cut) really ever cool?

Maybe in the '80s?

DMJ3y.png

Okay, maybe not...

Since AOD finally got it up, To-Love Ru Darkness episode 2.

I don't want to be constantly complaining about AOD, but the subtitles were awful yet again.

Haruna: "What's the matter?"
Mea: "I need to talk to Rito Yuki for a second."
Haruna: "I just saw him heading towards the rooftop though."
Mea: "You said rooftop? Thank you!"

The line of the episode goes to Momo, though:
"You knew Yami even before she came to the early, didn't you?"

death note episode 3 - watching with mum

she says that its getting even more intense and even more surprising.

she goes on to say that the first 2 episodes was the stepping stones of the series ( in other words even tho she enjoyed watching the first 2 episodes the 3rd episode really got her in to the series )

and saying that the series needs more action and i said its only the first 3 episodes so theres bound to be some in future episodes.

i thought the drama and supernatural stuff is getting better and better and the animations is still awesome.

i could see my mum getting more and more into it

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! episodes 1-3 over yesterday and today.

Guy with a history of believing in fantastical things befriends oddball girl, ends up forming a new club... Sounds a little familiar - still, that's probably why I'm enjoying it so much. The art is very nice, too.

Space Brothers - Episode 31

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse - Episode 18

This was quite a good episode, but it highlights how inconsistent this show is.

death note episode 4 - watching with mum

ok i think this is a good sign, she says it seems more shorter then the last episode, so im guessing she really getting in to it and wants more

she also says that she didn't expect lights decision. its getting more exciting and cant wait for more

i wasn't expecting what was happening in this episode it was clever of light on how he used the death note

i feel i like im getting smarter by watching this series

Back